Author Topic: Avast Web Shield Intermitently Blocks all Browsing  (Read 5333 times)

davebush

Avast Web Shield Intermitently Blocks all Browsing
« on: May 20, 2007, 09:31:02 PM »
I've had a stable system, using XP SP2 and Avast for about a year - working with no problems. Currently I've got 4.7.1001

For about two weeks now the system has developed a problem - after running completely normally for a few hours, Web Shield stops any access to the Web.

I've just proved this by stopping and starting the provider. (I didn't realize Avast intercepted Web traffic, so it's taken me a few days to narrow the problem down!)

It may be that this is connected somehow to running MusicMatch Jukebox (Version 8.10 which I've been using for 4 years), as when the system has failed, stopping and restarting this program will restore access (for a short while.)

At another time, closing all browsers and restarting did sometimes work.

To me this sounds like a bug in Avast - any opinions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Web Shield Intermitently Blocks all Browsing
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 09:39:37 PM »
Well it's WebShield working...
Which firewall do you use? Isn't ashWebSv.exe blocked into firewall setings?
Do you use a proxy to connect the Internet?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 11:35:11 PM »
I can't see how this can happen intermittently, web shield would be scanning all downloaded http port 80 traffic and you shouldn't notice an effect, it should be either slow all the time or normal.

Because you say closing browsers and re-opening sometimes works to clear it if this was truely a web shield bug then that shouldn't have any effect. I suspect some sort of interaction with another application, because by disabling web shield resolves it as you take one side of any potential conflict away.

The web shield doesn't block, it scans and alerts to any infection, but it isn't designed to block.

What other security based software do you have that might have an effect, e.g. anti-spyware applications, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, etc. ?

What changed two weeks ago, there has been a program update on 30 April 2007 so at the latest you are likely to have updated this (on the 7 day program update cycle) is on or about 5-7 May, around two weeks ago. Unless you had any other application installations or updates around that time ?

If it is related to the latest update then perhaps you should try a fresh/clean install:

It would probably be best to first download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/programs.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Ensure you are off-line, uninstall, reboot, install latest version you downloaded, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 04:29:10 AM »
davebush, any news?
I don't like when users ask for help and disappear  :(
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 02:28:08 PM »
Yes some feed back would be nice, one way or another.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

davebush

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 12:58:11 PM »
Hi - Just accidentally found these replies. Sorry for the silence, I was expecting e-mail notification and didn't get any, so I thought no-one had responded.

I managed to make the problem "go away" (I don't remember how) so I didn't chase it up.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 03:24:36 PM »
Wow, that has got to be the longest period for a reply ;D

The main thing is that it is working, unfortunately you weren't able to identify the cause as it would have neatly closed the topic.

Welcome back.