Author Topic: Error: Cannot connect to server.  (Read 18612 times)

Dyslexic

Re: Error: Cannot connect to server.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 07:28:08 PM »
I have repeated several times the same question.

Where does Avast read its proxy settings from, settings which are supposedly Internet Explorers settings, but IE works fine, the settings in the registry are fine, every other piece of software on the computer works fine.

It would seem that maybe Avast uses a non-standard location for proxy settings.

Are you understanding the question now?

Hermite15

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 07:36:58 PM »

Where does Avast read its proxy settings from, settings which are supposedly Internet Explorers settings, but IE works fine, the settings in the registry are fine, every other piece of software on the computer works fine.

since you're using that tone I'm done with that thread ;D

Dyslexic

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 07:45:30 PM »

since you're using that tone I'm done with that thread ;D

That tone? Oh you mean irritated by someone repeatedly not answering a question yet telling you you are wrong? If that's what you mean, then perhaps. Otherwise, you never got started on this thread.

Hermite15

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 07:49:26 PM »
you know what, I don't care if that thread gets locked or if I get banned for it, just edited OFF !!!  ;D
you might call yourself a tech man, but you're a noob on Windows ::)

edit: I don't work for Avast, and I owe you nothing got it?  >:(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 08:25:44 PM by Logos »

Dyslexic

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 07:56:10 PM »
LOL. Sad little person you are. You don't owe me anything, correct. But don't parade around like you know everything when you can't answer one question. Congrats on your sad little life, i hope you reach 4500 posts soon so you can feel useful. You're the only person on the forum that tried to help, so I guess the forums pretty useless. I'm done with this thread, you, and this forum. I believe I'll stop using avast as well.

Hermite15

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 07:57:32 PM »
cool 8) bye :D

spg SCOTT

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »
nice ::)

After I did those steps, the manual update works now. I don't konw if the auto will work...? Thanks.
Differences between auto-detect proxy and direct connection are the use of two different download engines - wininet.dll (used by IE, it's the auto-detect setting) or winsock (direct connection).
Usually direct connection (winsock) helps for users with ADSL connection where the wininet engine fails.
Also, some malware can install as wininet proxy and when it detects connection to their servers, the downloaded stream returns just a file filled with zeros instead of real data. Setting direct connection bypasses this too. So, it's good to check if your computer is virus clean right now.
(bold is me...)
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45434.msg380690#msg380690

I have seen the no-proxy thing recommended here a few times, and Tech's reasoning may have something to do with it...what would cause the wininet engine to fail, (as described in the quote) I don't know...

-Scott-

Hermite15

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 10:00:13 PM »
meaning that Avast reads proxy settings from the two available API's, like other programs do, interesting ;D >>> not directed at you Scott but at the OP who thought Avast could read the proxy settings from an alien API ;D

Dyslexic

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 10:31:14 PM »
meaning that Avast reads proxy settings from the two available API's, like other programs do, interesting ;D >>> not directed at you Scott but at the OP who thought Avast could read the proxy settings from an alien API ;D

I'm sorry, I believe I asked where it reads it's settings 4 or 5 times, an answer you couldn't provide. Never did I claim to know, nor did I claim to be a programmer. I could have sworn you said you were done with my thread, and told me to <profanity> off. So stop wasting my time.

Someone else has come along with knowledge you didn't have, to answer a question you clearly didn't understand. But rather staying out of the thread or providing an answer you came back to try to belittle me because you were ignorant of the answer. Good job at proving your uselessness.

Hermite15

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 10:44:39 PM »
excuse me you're the one wasting the forum bandwidth 'cause you don't have much to say do you, especially since you randomly found that changing your proxy settings in Avast could solve your issue, and stupidly deduced that Avast was broken (yeah, they all say that ::) ) ...looking for a mysterious API Avast would be reading from ;D And I should have answered that ??? you're kidding or what? I'm afraid you're not :D
 Btw didn't you say that you were done too..? I'm just having fun, but what are you doing ? (insert 140 characters here :D )

edit: what did the other poster tell you exactly? did it help ??? he just told you about available network APIs in Windows? did you get it? does it change anything ? NO!...you're still stuck speculating about Avast being broken ::)

ps: belittling someone like you is really fun, because you just deserve it + it's easy ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:49:24 PM by Logos »

Dyslexic

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 11:10:28 PM »
edit: what did the other poster tell you exactly? did it help ???
Answered the question you were too arrogant or ignorant to answer. Yes, it gave me something useful to try.

You still don't understand a word that has been.

Avast is the only thing having issues with proxy settings, so yes avast is broken. So I asked where it looks for those settings, you had no answer. You babbled on uselessly as you continue to do. I don't have much to say, which is why i came here to ask a question not to say things. I wasn't looking for a "mysterious api" i was thinking more like registry settings, like IE uses. I'm not a programmer, i don't look for APIs. Should you have answered what? Are you worth the air you breathe? I'll answer that, No you aren't. Should you have answered the question I asked, Yes or you shouldn't have said anything at all, all you did was waste time. I came back because someone with useful info posted, and someone else told me, quote:

In http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59406.msg500951#msg500951 you have met Logos and his arrogance. 

Listen to what spg SCOTT and Tech say and ignore Logos as he will wear you down just like Chinese water torture.

Seems it's common knowledge you are a useless, arrogant pile of shit.

As I said, you are merely trying, and failing at that as well, to belittle me. Useless people can't belittle because they are in no way better at anything. Grats. Go troll elsewhere moron.

Hermite15

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 11:14:17 PM »
how are you doing with that new dyslexia software (V1.5 right?) , not too good it seems...can you spell your own name? wow wow wow...looking for registry settings? isn't it too early? >>> wait for version 1.6 :D

edit: I know exactly where this quoted post comes from, that's a pm and it came from Mr Yokenny himself :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 12:01:14 AM by Logos »

doktornotor

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 11:24:56 PM »
I'm not a programmer, i don't look for APIs.

Well, then there's no point in asking and just move on because the answer won't be relevant to you in any way.

Dyslexic

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 11:28:07 PM »
Fountains of useful information around here. There is a point in asking, the answer has been provided. It is relevant, because it may be a corrupt file or bad registry settings. Things that are not only relevant to programmers. Thanks for trolling by, now take your misery elsewhere.

doktornotor

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 11:33:48 PM »
Hmm...  ::)