Author Topic: New *release* build of avast now available (5.0.545)  (Read 94041 times)

Offline Navvy

Re: New *release* build of avast now available (5.0.545)
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2010, 12:07:26 PM »
Thanks Tarq57.

I rebooted the computer after aborting the installation of avast5, and after the reboot it said that avast5 had been successfully installed.  I didn't believe it!  Uninstalled v5 using the cleaner, rebooted, uninstalled v4 using the cleaner, rebooted, installed v5 and it completed the installation very quickly.

It would help if the 'finishing' screen gave some idea of how long the process should take.  I wasted over an hour looking at it, and on the clean installation I must have blinked and didn't even see it.

It would also help to know whether an internet connection is needed - I prefer to operate without a connection while installing protection software, but I assume there is a point where a connection is needed to check for updates.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2010, 12:11:34 PM »
Well, that sounds pretty good. Basically as soon as it is installed, and the tray icon is up and indicating normal, I would reconnect.

When I installed it (using the method I'd described earlier to you) at the end of the setup - which was quite fast - a prompt appeared asking to restart. I guess from your last reply you did not see or get that prompt?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Hermite15

« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2010, 12:13:22 PM »
@ Navvy: I think this has been changed a while ago and the setup of Avast 5 doesn't require anymore an Internet connection to be running...it was required in very early builds and due to complaints (not from me...), they changed the behavior of the installer.

Offline Navvy

« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
It was Zonealarm that alerted me to avast installation asking for an internet connection.  Without Zonealarm it would probably have silently ignored the lack of response from the internet.

I don't remember seeing a Restart prompt, and I can't remember whether I did reboot after installing.  If not, the full scan that I am now doing may be a waste of time as it'll probably do a scan in DOS after the next reboot..

Offline Navvy

« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2010, 01:14:54 PM »
After rebooting there wan't any DOS scan (ie a scan outside Windows) so either avast recognised that I had already done a scan inside Windows, or they no longer consider it necessary to make sure the computer is clean when doing a clean install of Avast.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2010, 01:44:29 PM »
avast! Free updated .507 to .545 on XP Pro 32bit SP3

successful program update but no icon in system tray after reboot
started avast manually in Start-> (All) Programs, click avast, and icon appeared in sys tray
Restart and icon in sys tray this time

However subsequent boots avast was lagging at start with icon unstable, occasionally not starting
I saw that nvidia desktop control suite was activated - old hardware - so I disabled in Services
Still not quite right so I opened msconfig and there were three nvidia components checked for startup
I turned off these three components, parts of desktop control suite, and now everything is fine

The problem here, and to my mind you will often find this where you find XP, is that the hardware is dated - in this case an Intel850 server board - and likewise the associate software, while perhaps having been periodically updated, is not really up with the play - with avast5 necessarily being a new technology.

If possible, best to turn the antiquated stuffs off so they dont get in the way of the better running gear
This what I think is a lot of times where the problem occurs with computers running XP
what seemed like fancy features back may likely get in the way of a good running system nowdays
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:46:16 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline krypton

• Poster
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2010, 04:03:33 PM »
@Navvy and krypton
Navvy first, try a full install from scratch. Go here and download the uninstall utility (aswClear5.exe) and save it to your desktop.
-Have the install file you had previously downloaded handy, on the desktop or a flash drive.
-Disconnect from the net
-Right click any Avast tray icon, locate "program settings>troubleshooting" and disable the self-defense module.
-Uninstall any (and all) Avast versions from "add/remove programs" in the control panel. Note, you will lose any settings and quarantined items. Reboot- see next item.
-Run the uninstall utility. If there were problems with the uninstall, this should be run in safe mode. Reboot.
-Install Avast from the new installation file for 5.0.545. Reboot as prompted.
-Reconnect. Open the Avast interface, select "maintenance>registration" and fill out the required fields to register Avast.

You may wish to manually update the definitions, if I remember correctly, the program may have already done that as part of the setup. Let us know if that worked/didn't.

krypton
You will probably have to install the flash player for IE if you only have it installed for another browser. I've had that with other programs in the past. See if that works.
All the best.

thank u tarq.

from where i can get free flash player for IE ?
LAPTOP: LENOVO G50, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HARD DISK, AVAST PREMIUM SECURITY 2020, WINDOWS 8.1

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2010, 04:28:34 PM »
adobe.com
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2010, 04:29:16 PM »
After rebooting there wan't any DOS scan (ie a scan outside Windows) so either avast recognised that I had already done a scan inside Windows, or they no longer consider it necessary to make sure the computer is clean when doing a clean install of Avast.

This is no longer a mandatory requirement/suggestion to do a boot-time scan as in avast 4.8.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline krypton

• Poster
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2010, 04:56:07 PM »
i seen and checked properly that i already have adobe flash player for IE and still it is not working.

i checked in IE by browsing sites and also i seen it is installed in my pc
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 05:06:53 PM by krypton »
LAPTOP: LENOVO G50, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HARD DISK, AVAST PREMIUM SECURITY 2020, WINDOWS 8.1

Faizfast6

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2010, 05:04:27 PM »
Installed and works fine.  :)

Love the new interface!

But, after the installation reboot, the scan options wont appear but it re-appeared after a reboot.

atomas31

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2010, 05:08:52 PM »
I install this version but since then I can't send email if scan outbound email is tick... I never had this problem with the previous version  ??? I have windows xp with sp3 and using Outlook express.

If scan outbound message is ON, when sending a message I received this error message :

Une erreur inconnue s'est produite. Compte : 'Sympatico', Serveur : 'smtphm.sympatico.ca', Protocole : SMTP, Réponse du serveur : '503 5.5.2 Only one STARTTLS command can be issued per session', Port : 25, Sécurisé (SSL) : Oui, Erreur de serveur : 503, Numéro d'erreur : 0x800CCC65

What is the problem and how can I solved it?

Thanks,
Atomas31

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2010, 05:21:53 PM »
You need to Uncheck use SSL/TLS in your email programs email account settings (this bit of the error Port : 25, Sécurisé (SSL) : Oui,) and let avast handle the STARTTLS command.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »
i seen and checked properly that i already have adobe flash player for IE and still it is not working.

If it works in IE, then Flash ActiveX plugin is installed.  However, you could try downloading the Flash installer directly from http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe and installing.  Before doing so, check Add/Remove Programs and see if "Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX" is listed as installed.  If it is, then it should also work in Avast.

If you use Firefox, Opera, or any of a number of other browsers that don't support ActiveX, then you should have listed as installed "Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin".

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 05:28:56 PM by Gopher John »
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline krypton

• Poster
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2010, 05:34:15 PM »

If it works in IE, then Flash ActiveX plugin is probably installed.  However, you could try downloading the Flash installer directly from http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe and installing.  Before doing so, check Add/Remove Programs and see if "Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX" is listed as installed.  If it is, then it should also work in Avast.

If you use Firefox, Opera, or any of a number of other browsers that don't support ActiveX, then you should have listed as installed "Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin".

yes i seen in control panel.i have adobe flash player.it works in IE,opera and mozilla but not working  in avast.