Author Topic: New *release* build of avast now available (5.0.545)  (Read 94043 times)

Hermite15

Re: New *release* build of avast now available (5.0.545)
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2010, 02:30:10 PM »
Anyway, all of this doesn't really matter. What matters is that the mail proxy shouldn't create any entry as long as you stick to ssl ports in the mail client. You should, if the option is left checked, just get the warning that Avast can't scan.

The mail scanner always used to create new accounts when client used SSL/STARTTLS. This way the SSL setup is 'remembered' and used after user disables SSL in the client. I don't think there is a problem in it.

However there is a bug in this build (5.0.545) causing that sending does not work when STARTTLS is configured in client and user does not disable it. It will be certainly fixed in the next update.

I'm not sure at all that these entries in Avast were always created when ssl was still on in mail clients. I don't have old builds setup files saved here to check that (yeah, I've been wondering, since 993 and 465 are not an issue, conflict occurs only with 587). Okay but I confirm the starttls (client side) conflict when sending. You get the error message mentioned by a few posters here.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2010, 03:26:44 PM »
Anyway, all of this doesn't really matter. What matters is that the mail proxy shouldn't create any entry as long as you stick to ssl ports in the mail client. You should, if the option is left checked, just get the warning that Avast can't scan.

The mail scanner always used to create new accounts when client used SSL/STARTTLS. This way the SSL setup is 'remembered' and used after user disables SSL in the client. I don't think there is a problem in it.

However there is a bug in this build (5.0.545) causing that sending does not work when STARTTLS is configured in client and user does not disable it. It will be certainly fixed in the next update.

@ vojtech
Will this require a program update or can that happen in the VPS and engine updates ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2010, 03:54:34 PM »
It will require a program update.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2010, 03:01:07 AM »
Actually, since most email providers scan for viruses coming into and leaving their servers, the mail shield in Avast! is redundant for the majority of people anyway.
Good point.  In all my years on the internet (nearly 15), during which time I've always used avast and the same ISP, I've never seen an email warning from avast, simply because the provider's servers catch everything like that first.  99+ percent of spam, too.  Admittedly that's probably unusually good, but I keep my avast email shield active anyway for insurance.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

MacXcode

Update Confusion....
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2010, 02:26:57 PM »
I have just installed Avast 5.0.545 on my Windows 7 x64 :) and the product is too good  ;D.
But its showing that my virus signature is 100506-1 and its out of date.
When I tried to update it, It said-'virus signatures are current i.e. 100511-0' and then it does not update.
But its showing in 'about avast' and 'update' option that it is 100506-1 and while I try to update the program or virus defs, it says its all current with the latest virus defs 100511-0 and the current program version.
What about it...??
Thank you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2010, 02:33:22 PM »
I have just installed Avast 5.0.545 on my Windows 7 x64 :) and the product is too good  ;D.
But its showing that my virus signature is 100506-1 and its out of date.
When I tried to update it, It said-'virus signatures are current i.e. 100511-0' and then it does not update.
But its showing in 'about avast' and 'update' option that it is 100506-1 and while I try to update the program or virus defs, it says its all current with the latest virus defs 100511-0 and the current program version.
What about it...??
Thank you.
Oh noooo...
The GUI bug again while showing updates.
The best things in life are free.

MacXcode

« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2010, 02:43:06 PM »

Oh noooo...

Oh well I guess its just a little GUI bug, but the Virus definitions are up to date...is it correct ?

Hermite15

« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2010, 02:46:25 PM »

Oh noooo...

Oh well I guess its just a little GUI bug, but the Virus definitions are up to date...is it correct ?

yes, and when that happens, rebooting solves the GUI issue. I didn't notice that bug again here though.

MacXcode

« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2010, 02:52:12 PM »

Oh noooo...

yes, and when that happens, rebooting solves the GUI issue. I didn't notice that bug again here though.

Well it didn't work for me, I rebooted 4 times but that its still showing the old virus defs number in the Summary, about avast and update area and saying its out of date in all three places....

Hermite15

« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2010, 02:58:58 PM »

Oh noooo...

Well it didn't work for me, I rebooted 4 times but that its still showing the old virus defs number in the Summary, about avast and update area and saying its out of date in all three places....

so this will most likely be fixed with the next engine/VPS update. In the mean time don't worry your avast install has been updated properly, whatever the UI tells.

MacXcode

« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2010, 03:15:08 PM »
All good then :) thank you..cheers !!!

isamuelson

« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »

Oh noooo...

This sounds just like the issue I have except my Virus defs update fine but the engine doesn't. I found the only way to fix this is:
  • Uninstall the old version and download and install the newer version
  • Reboot into safe mode and update it that way from the Uninstall Programs area - choose Update as the option

I find this unacceptable and I have had a support ticket open on this problem since February and every time they ask for something (the log file, etc), I post it and never receive a response. If they don't respond and give me an answer/fix to my problem within the next day or two, I'm going to demand my money back and purchase another suite, which is a shame because I really like how Avast performs on my system and how simple it is to set up and use. The poor response from Support (considering I purchased the product) and this persistent problem of not being able to update the engine is just not acceptable.

I know some would think this is a little petty, but the problem is, the engine was updated for a reason and why should I have to manually do it every time? There is a reason they have the option to allow it to update the engine and I shouldn't have to manually do it myself, either by booting into safe mode or else uninstalling the current version and then installing the new version (which requires me to go in and set all the settings back to the way I had them, including my scheduled scans, etc).

Just a real pain in the rump.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 04:14:21 PM by Ivan Samuelson »

MacXcode

« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2010, 02:03:05 PM »
Well..after a virus definitions...things are working perfectly :)...No complaints now cheers !!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2010, 02:04:56 PM »
Well..after a virus definitions...things are working perfectly :)...No complaints now cheers !!

Good..!!! :)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

MacXcode

« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »
Yes :D I have to say its as light as Nod32 on system for me :Deven more lighter and much better protection and features No problems at all. Thanks to the avast team :D for such a beautiful AV.

Oh and when can we expect the Boot-time scan for 64 Bit OS :)