Author Topic: The truth is coming out about Comodo!  (Read 19844 times)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Re: The truth is coming out about Comodo!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 07:39:41 AM »
Being a gamer, I am not fond of HIPS applications at all. I tried Outpost Free Firewall and had too many problems with my games so it got uninstalled. I guess I'm sticking with Avast!5 Free and the XP firewall. I haven't had a true virus detection in 4 years or more and have never been infected since I first got on line in 1999 so I'm not too paranoid about these things.

Dch48 I don't have any problems with my PC games using Comodo with HIPS set to paranoid mode and my Network Defence set to Custom Policy Mode, Dch48 all you have to do is set your Comodo to "Switch to Installation Mode" and then set your Proactive Defence to "Training Mode" and set your Network Defence (firewall) to "Training Mode".

You can install your games and then play your game without going into online if possible, play your game a little while so Comodo can recognise your game installation and settings after that you can set your Comodo back to "Switch to Previous Mode" and also set your Proactive Defence and Network Defence (firewall) to your security requirement defence.

Comodo is not very hard to drive the software with HIPS problem is some people don't fully understand how the software works it like learning how to drive a car, I've used Comodo for nearly 5 years and believe me it very easy to understand how this CIS works.

And it work great with Avast 5 free anti-virus, Dch48 give Comodo a second chance and I can help you with your set up problems it not very hard.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:47:31 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 12:57:02 PM »
Comodo is not very hard to drive the software with HIPS problem is some people don't fully understand how the software works it like learning how to drive a car, I've used Comodo for nearly 5 years and believe me it very easy to understand how this CIS works.

If your sig is still correct, you should also add that still 3.14 is safer than the 4.x version, right now... ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 12:59:51 PM »

If your sig is still correct, you should also add that still 3.14 is safer than the 4.x version, right now... ;)
asyn

Nah! ;D I rather wait until 4.1 before I really do update my current sig asyn.....................what about you ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »
Nah! ;D I rather wait until 4.1 before I really do update my current sig asyn.....................what about you ;)

My sig is correct. :) And could well be I even wait longer than 4.1... ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 01:22:58 PM »
I know what mean asyn trouble is I'm not going to touch their current version until sandboxes has been resolved for a better option, trouble is still to early to drive that version just got a gut feeling is still buggy at the moment.

Dch48

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 02:15:07 AM »
Being a gamer, I am not fond of HIPS applications at all. I tried Outpost Free Firewall and had too many problems with my games so it got uninstalled. I guess I'm sticking with Avast!5 Free and the XP firewall. I haven't had a true virus detection in 4 years or more and have never been infected since I first got on line in 1999 so I'm not too paranoid about these things.

Dch48 I don't have any problems with my PC games using Comodo with HIPS set to paranoid mode and my Network Defence set to Custom Policy Mode, Dch48 all you have to do is set your Comodo to "Switch to Installation Mode" and then set your Proactive Defence to "Training Mode" and set your Network Defence (firewall) to "Training Mode".

You can install your games and then play your game without going into online if possible, play your game a little while so Comodo can recognise your game installation and settings after that you can set your Comodo back to "Switch to Previous Mode" and also set your Proactive Defence and Network Defence (firewall) to your security requirement defence.

And it work great with Avast 5 free anti-virus, Dch48 give Comodo a second chance and I can help you with your set up problems it not very hard.
No--I know all those things, and I did them many times. I just don't want to deal with HIPS alerts and changing settings and things all the time any more. I've had it with HIPS based apps. I don't want any more alerts when using, installing, or uninstalling anything. I just want a firewall that alerts me to connection attempts, both incoming and outgoing and lets me make the choice on a per application basis to allow or not. I do not want to be notified or alerted about anything else. If there is a way to set up the Comodo Firewall (or any other one out there) to only monitor connections and nothing else, I'd be interested but if not , then I'll stick with what I have.

Would the Comodo Firewall with D+ disabled work that way?

sded

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 03:08:38 AM »
If you just want a packet filter, the old Sygate or Kerio (even v4) work fine with XP and give great visibility.  Don't know how they work with SP3, though.  Also, Zone Alarm Free, which gets beat up mostly for not having a HIPS.  Comodo without D+ is just not a mode they are interested in selling, so don't know these days-may have gone in reverse?  At best, the logging is severely deficient and some of the controls don't do what you think they should.  Have you spent some time with the Avast! AIS quiet firewall, which is based on some of the same assumptions about HIPS problems?  

I would never have used Comodo except for a lack of firewalls that supported Vista early and adequately and I thought I could influence things-became a mod mostly because they and their staff completely lacked understanding of how ports and protocols really worked for internet applications-I spent an inordinate amount of time helping users make firewall rules.  FTP was simply beyond their comprehension, for example-like they had never heard of it as being an example for SPI.  There are also a number of things that either don't work or don't make sense unless they are training you to cope-they even ----ed up Threatcast, both as a concept and as an implementation.  OA Oasis and Prevx do seem to understand it fine, and I see lots of others reporting success.  So as far as firewalls, several mods agreed that Comodo is at best mediocre without D+ (won't give you names, since a couple are still there trying to improve things).  I would not even consider its use as a standalone firewall.  Fixing its vulnerabilities outside of D+ has just not been a priority.

But I am using OA these days, which is also HIPS oriented, although the HIPS can be turned off.  You might try that also.  I have stuck with it for nearly two years, so don't have a good read on the newer upgrades of some of the other firewalls, but have no complaints about current capabilities.  Not a Gamer, but use lots of wireless hotspots.  :)

BTW something you might try.  Run the CLT with D+ turned off and see how you score.  I tried with OA last year and got about half, but couldn't get any of the Comodo mods to try it-probably too many modes and options to think about.  One particular vulnerability of concern is the loopback interface.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:09:59 PM by sded »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 03:54:07 AM »
Would the Comodo Firewall with D+ disabled work that way?

Dch48 you can just run the Comodo Firewall with D+ disabled at 100% and only only monitor connections inbound and outbound traffic, all you have to do is install the Comodo and then go into the software into the "defence+" icon and click "advanced" then look for "defence+ settings" at the general settings tab box look for "Deactive the Defence+ permanently (Requires a system restart)" tick that box and your done.

Which means you only have the just the Comodo Firewall without using the defence+ system.

Edit: After that make sure you click on "Miscellaneous" and goto "settings" look for tab box call "Logging" and tick the "Disable Defence+ Logging" that's all. Once you've setup your firewall make sure you goto "Firewall" icon and click on "Stealth Ports Wizard" and pick "Block all incoming connections stealth my ports to everyone" and click finished.

Any problems let me know Dch48 ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:16:02 AM by SpeedyPC »

sded

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 03:49:14 PM »
Comodo members, resistance is futile.  Prepare to be assimilated.  Comodo has announced they have deactivated the "delete account" button on their forum.   :o
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:21:23 PM by sded »

Hermite15

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 04:08:51 PM »
got a weird issue with connecting to their forums on https, np on Firefox, but for the first time today "certificate invalid" in Chrome ???

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 04:41:33 PM »
got a weird issue with connecting to their forums on https, np on Firefox, but for the first time today "certificate invalid" in Chrome ???

Logo that shouldn't happen unless you don't have permission to used "https:" and did you try the normal way "http:" please check