Author Topic: Internet Connection Problem  (Read 19771 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Internet Connection Problem
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2004, 03:22:51 PM »
I have it set to dial up. I went in to C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA folder and opened avast 4 configuration file and opened it with notepad but the setting was set to 1 which was correct.

Can you see 'Settings' on my signature?
Is section [InetWD] all well configurated?
The best things in life are free.

Offline jimb11

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2004, 03:37:47 PM »
Yes, that was the one I was talking about. Read my last post before you replyed I added some more info.

neal62

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2004, 02:57:27 AM »
jimb11,

Are you sure that your Networking (tcp/ip) settings are not corrupted? If they are that could possibly be a problem  for you. :D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 02:58:15 AM by neal62 »

Offline jimb11

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2004, 03:23:38 AM »
neal62:

How can I tell if they are corrupted?

neal62

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2004, 03:54:47 AM »
You can't really tell that tcp/ip is corrupted by looking in Network which is located in control panel. If under "configuration" you see that there is a tcp/ip entry ok but it doesn't mean that its any good. What a person has to do is un-install the tcp/ip entry, then re-install it. The only problem with that is: 1. You have to know how to do it because if you don't your computer will not be able to connect to the internet. 2. When trying to re-install it the persons computer may be set up where it asks for a particular Wins CD Rom to effect the new installation. So, in general it's not something you should try unless you know what your doing. I just was pointing out that your problem could stem from this. Hope this helps. :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2004, 03:57:26 AM »
How can I tell if they are corrupted?

Are you in a LAN (personal network) or not (you have just one computer)?

sebon

Re: Internet Connection Problem
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 01:59:11 PM »
I doubt it has anything to do with Corrupt TCP/ICP stack

WINME, Ie5.5Sp1

I have the same prob,
I dial using a dialup modem (ticked)
RAS =1, Always connected =0

I removed and reinstalled my network --
Dialup adapter, Dsl modem Adapter ,Client, Protocol(TCP/ICP)

No change, my internet explorer setting, and my dial up network setting was still set to "Never dial a connection"

I then disabled Avast in Msconfig
ASHWEBSV.EXE
ASHSERV.EXE

Guess what!
The problem was gone.

It is a bug in Avast, I have reported it to Avast, hopefully they will fix it in the next build.

So please lets stop sending people on wild goose chases.
dont give out any info, if you dont know what the problem is

Seb

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006, 02:14:28 PM »
It is a bug in Avast, I have reported it to Avast, hopefully they will fix it in the next build.
Well I'll take a lot of care of calling this a bug...
Most probably it's a problem in your computer as other users aren't experiencing this problem.
Maybe a conflict/problem with other software or firewall...  ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2006, 02:21:37 PM »
Did you use the Mail protection Wizard to set-up your email accounts to work with avast's proxy ?
Did you manually set-up your browser to use the web shield proxy ?

What errors are or were you getting ?
What is your firewall ?
This sounds like it is blocking ashWebSv.exe and ashMaiSv.exe ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 07:16:22 AM »

I believe this is the setting in question. I used to have the same problem when I was on dial up. It only happened once in a long while and I found it to be a minor annoyance. When I clicked on the ie icon or oe icon I usually got the dialup connection box, clicked connect. If the box got checked to "never dial a connection", all I got was a browser error. I had to recheck the proper box and refresh the page.

I was using ie5.5 sp2 at the time. Something was definatly resetting the check mark. I can't honestly say if it was after a vps update or just randomly. I used avast! on dial up for about nine month and it reset maybe half a dozen or so times. Like I said, I found it to be minor and not really worth a mention,(not to say it is trival to others). I had also had it happen a few times when I had mcafee.

The only thing i can say for certain is, if the box "never dial a connection" is ticked, then that is exaclty what will happen. ;D

sebon

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 02:15:43 PM »
Well I'll take a lot of care of calling this a bug...
Most probably it's a problem in your computer as other users aren't experiencing this problem.
Maybe a conflict/problem with other software or firewall...  ::)

I have no other security software running.
Ie no firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention software.

What I have done is disabled netbios;file and printer sharing.
as per http://www.grc.com/su-bondage.htm

Hardened IE5.5, all the zones but in particular
 my computer zone(zone o)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0
my computer zone (zone3)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3

Disabled ActiveX
Disabled   Java
Disabled   Javascript

like I said when I disabled Avast in Msconfig the problem was gone.

sebon

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 02:33:09 PM »
Did you use the Mail protection Wizard to set-up your email accounts to work with avast's proxy ?
Did you manually set-up your browser to use the web shield proxy ?

What is your firewall ?
This sounds like it is blocking ashWebSv.exe and ashMaiSv.exe ?

I dont use a firewall see my answer above to Tech

When I installed Avast, I did a custom install. Installed the Standard and web servers only

>Did you manually set-up your browser to use the >web shield proxy ?

yes  127.0.0.1:12080 Http only

none

sebon

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2006, 02:57:35 PM »
####i haven't heard from anyone recently so I am assuming that they are stumped on this one.
I was reading in Google groups and found the the registry key that sets  "to always dial a connection"

Regedit 4

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

EnableAutodial

1 = always dial a connection
0 = Never dial a connection

A  registry Watcher that will detect the program making the change will nail the culprit.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2006, 12:43:19 AM »
Quote from: sebon
I have the same prob,
I dial using a dialup modem (ticked)
RAS =1, Always connected =0

I removed and reinstalled my network --
Dialup adapter, Dsl modem Adapter ,Client, Protocol(TCP/ICP)

I don't know if this isn't an incorrect setting.
UseRAS=1 is for dial-up connections, but I assume for dial-up modems only and I don't know if a DSL modem would fall into that category.

Even if it did these settings relate to auto update connections so shouldn't have any effect on your standard internet connection. avast doesn't influence the ability to connect or change the internet connection setting in IE.

I'm a dial-up modem user (not DSL modem) and my setting is for always dial my default connection, however your best option would be to try Dial whenever a network connection is not present. Since I have never had broadband and clearly you have, I would have thought that 'Dial-up and virtual private Network settings' would be used ?

Have you tried it with a different browser like firefox, not only is it more secure than IE5.5 those IE internet options wouldn't apply.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sebon

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2006, 04:55:58 PM »
Hi David
Thanks for your reply

I don't know if this isn't an incorrect setting.
UseRAS=1 is for dial-up connections, but I assume for dial-up modems only and I don't know if a DSL modem would fall into that category

I tried both ways; first  I used always connected, then dialup

I have a DSL LINE which is always on
I have a Dsl modem which connects  to ISP

I bought the modem seperately - Dynamode[Hardware/software]   
( ie My ISP doesnt use connection software - It just provides you with your user name and PW to connect to them)

Dynamode emulates a Dialup modem, 
The connection it installs  is called wiptech
The connection phone number is  p0,38

To connect to my ISP I doubleclick the wiptech icon and it dials into my ISP

Avast used to run alright although it would connect to the internet when I rebooted, rather than using my internet settings like my previous Antivirus did "AntiVir classic"
I googled and the solution was to set my dialup networking To Never Dial a connection
It worked okay.Avast only connected to the update server when I connected  to the internet with IExplorer.

then there  was an Avast Program Update.
After that I noticed that my other Apps were no longer able to automatically initiate a connection when I launched the App.
Such as Bit torrent. News reader, IExplorer. etc or when my internet connection became disconnected.

Setting my Dialup connection and internet connection  to Always dial my default connection was to no avail as on reboot they both returned to never dial  a connection

I Disabled AVAST in MSCONFIG and the setting stayed correct
ie always dial my connection.

Some observations:

Changing the connection settings in IE  changes the connection  settings in Dialup networking and VICE VERSA

My situation mirrors this   
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=656.msg3162#msg3162

I'm wondering whether this is  a conflict between Avast and Win9x OS's

Vlk The Moderator gave a reason why this behaviour was occurring!

It is still necessary to use the UseRAS setting.

Let me explain this little more. By default, avast uses the PING command to find out whether the computer is online (or, to be more specific, whether it can access at least one of its update servers). The problem with PING is that is causes the 'Dial a connection' dialog to appear under Win9x, forcing the user to take an action. That is of course unacceptable, so avast tries to always disable this feature before performing the PING. The problem is, however that unsuccessful PINGs take a lot of time, so in result the 'never dial a connection' setting effectively gets activated too often (and for too long time) - in fact almost all the time... Basically, this is caused by the poor design of the dial-up support in Win9x where the 'never dial a connection' setting is system-wide, whether it should actually be process-wide (as is almost everything else).

So we added the UseRAS feature that uses a different approach. Instead of the PINGs, it periodically queries the status of the modem. Of course, this only works if you have a dial-up modem (so this setting should never be used if the connection is implemented by other means). In addition, there was a bug in build 229 that caused the modem status query to always succeed... Version 235 should have it right, I believe, but from your post, I'm starting to doubt it...

Vlk[/shadow] 

I alo notice that Avast uses:
RPCSS.exe which is the RPC(Remote Procdure Call) API handler

What does Avast need RPCSS for?
Is it linked in with this problem?