Author Topic: Sandbox question. (Resolved)  (Read 3507 times)

GloobyGoob

Sandbox question. (Resolved)
« on: May 08, 2010, 06:01:04 AM »
Can someone explain to me the option, 'automatically detect safe locations and exclude them from virtualization' in the expert settings? And what are the recommended settings for the internet access tab? Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:59:47 PM by GloobyGoob »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Sandbox question.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 05:58:11 PM »
This option is checked by default and it means that if a user knowingly saves something in a virtualized application, these files are not virtualized and they're stored outside the sandbox. I give you some examples: avast sandbox supports about the eight most popular browsers, if it detects the user is about to download something, it's automatically saved outside the sandbox... or if the user works in an image editor and he wants to save its masterpiece, this operation is detected and the image is also saved outside the sandbox. The option improves convenience of the virtualized applications running in the sandbox.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 08:27:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply pk. ;D So does that mean if I uncheck that option downloads will be contained in the sandbox?

Because I left that option checked while testing the sandbox. All of the threats were contained except the downloaded ones. They got on my system and infected it, but i removed them after a full scan.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 09:13:16 PM »
So does that mean if I uncheck that option downloads will be contained in the sandbox?

yes

GloobyGoob

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 10:48:57 PM »
Alright, my question's answered then. Thanks pk and logos.

Also, I did another test with the box unchecked and no threats got through. :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:51:16 PM by GloobyGoob »

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 11:03:39 PM »

okay be careful with that this sandbox is still at an early stage of development, a few things, from what I read, haven't been implemented yet and should be in a near future, so it's not that waterproof yet ;)

GloobyGoob

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 04:33:49 AM »

okay be careful with that this sandbox is still at an early stage of development, a few things, from what I read, haven't been implemented yet and should be in a near future, so it's not that waterproof yet ;)

is that true, pk? But anyways, thanks for the heads up ;)