Author Topic: AIS Firewall Instability Problems Again (in 5.0.545)  (Read 10531 times)

MAG

AIS Firewall Instability Problems Again (in 5.0.545)
« on: May 07, 2010, 06:06:45 PM »
Aargh - AIS firewall (or my PC) is doing my head in!

I had problems with the firewall stopping spontaneously without any warning with 5.0.507 (so did others it seems).

I uninstalled 5.0.507, ran ASW Clear, installed 5.0.533, and had no more problems. Same with update to the next beta release.

Then I updated to 5.0.545 - back to the same firewall service stop problem.

I've uploaded the file onto the ftp server as MAGAFW.tmp.mdmp.

I've gone back to 5.0.533 for the time being.

Could someone from the Avast team please have a look at the file and see if this problem is something in Avast, or if it is something in my system?
Thanks
MAG

I'm running windows XP SP3. The only other security software I have is SAS Pro 4.36.1006

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: AIS Firewall Instability Problems Again (in 5.0.545)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:06:52 AM »
Hi Mag,

I have looked at your dump and I must admit it looked like a problem in avast. So far I was not able to identify it, but seems like a memory corruption. What might surprise you is that nothing have changed in the Firewall service between versions 533 and 545. The fact that the pre-release works better for you must be just a coincidence.

I'll update you with more info as soon as we have some.

Thanks and sorry for the troubles,
Lukas.

MAG

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 11:06:28 AM »
Thanks for your help and the very prompt response Lukas.

A couple of other things occur to me that may be of use.

I never had this problem before 507 (and I've been running the AIS firewall since 25/01/2010).

If nothing in the firewall changed at the release of 507 that would suggest that something that changed on my system is involved.

The only things I can remember installing around that time are:
 - an iternet speed tester called instanthelp.exe downloaded from CNET (now uninstalled because it sometimes locked up)
 - a browser security plug-in called Trusteer Rapport

I have returned to 545 (since the firewall is unchanged from 533), and so far have had no problems - if I do I'll post the dump in case there is any fresh info in it.

Hope you find the issue.

Thanks again for your help.
MAG

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 11:19:04 AM »
Thanks! Please post the dump, it might be similar, but memory corruption is always hard to track, so the more hints the better. I'll be hunting this bug in the meantime of course.

Lukas.

Antarctica

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 12:34:42 PM »
Hi Mag,

I have looked at your dump and I must admit it looked like a problem in avast. So far I was not able to identify it, but seems like a memory corruption. What might surprise you is that nothing have changed in the Firewall service between versions 533 and 545. The fact that the pre-release works better for you must be just a coincidence.

I'll update you with more info as soon as we have some.

Thanks and sorry for the troubles,
Lukas.

What I really like with Avast is their honesty and how fast they react to fix problems when they arise, not like some other AV I know. Thank you for that Alwil. :) :)

MAG

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 09:12:30 PM »
The firewall stopping problem has happened a few more times today (I'm running 545 - which has been OK since May 08).

Lukas
I have uploaded the dumps (and also the setup log) to the ftp server as requested (as magafw1, 2, 3 and magsetup).

As previously, before the firewall showed "service stopped" the activity log showed repetitions of "configured avastUI.exe to access the network" (as if it has forgotten it just configured that a few minutes ago).

I have windows XP firewall running (having read your post that it shouldn't conflict with AIS firewall), so I guess I'm no worse off than I used to be with the free version (except slightly financially worse off!).

I hope you guys at Avast can figure out what is going on.

Thanks for your help.
mag

PS am I the only person having this firewall problem - I've seen no other recent posts about the firewall stopping? (I recall qqwerty had the same issue with 507).

michael711

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 10:05:54 PM »
I've had numerous issues with the firewall compent with Windows 7 & Vista 64bit but none with 32bit Vista or 7.  My solution is to uninstall and reinstall Avast! as this solves the problem.  The only issue I have is that when the program engine is upgraded the issue tends to resurface.

MAG

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »
I've had numerous issues with the firewall compent with Windows 7 & Vista 64bit but none with 32bit Vista or 7.  My solution is to uninstall and reinstall Avast! as this solves the problem.  The only issue I have is that when the program engine is upgraded the issue tends to resurface.

@michael711
Do you also have the problem that when the firewall stops the avast icon in the sytem tray doen't alert you to this?

Whatever, it may help the avast team to sort out this issue if next time your firewall stops you let them know and upload the dump (a .tmp.mdmp file in C\Documents and Settings\All users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\Log\ folder) to the ftp server at avast.

michael711

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 01:24:46 PM »
mag,

You are correct the icon does not alert me to the fact the firewall has stopped working unlike if I manually stop it there is an icon
What's even more odd is that when this does occur sometimes you can resolve it by rebooting and the firewall will start. I don't recall if Windows gives me the white flag alert or not because it's always there already since I don't have backup set.

I'm not sure why it starts sometimes and not other but your fact that it doesn't notify you is problematic

MAG

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 11:28:50 AM »
michael711,
Do you have a browser security plug-in called "Trusteer Rapport" on your system (it's often provided by banks)?

I'm begining to have suspicions that it may be implicated on my system (it was the last program configured, coincident with the firewall crash, and the firewall crash was also coincident with it reporting that it had just checked for for updates).

(Of course the firewall may have been ready to fall over and it just happended to come along at the wrong moment).

Lukas,
I have posted the latest dump files to the ftp server (magafw5,6).

I noticed that one of the firewall dump files was created at excatly the same time (to the second) that Rapport checked for updates.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 02:58:32 PM by mag »

MAG

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 05:23:14 PM »
Thanks! Please post the dump, it might be similar, but memory corruption is always hard to track, so the more hints the better. I'll be hunting this bug in the meantime of course.

Lukas.
Lukas,
I've posted three more dump files following AIS firewall stopping (magafw7,8,9).
That makes ten in total. I'll stop at that unless you tell me it would be useful to see any more (of course I'm always hopeful that there might not be any more!)

Shane23usmc

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 08:51:46 PM »
Since I done a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro, I too have been having issues.  My issues run along the lines of having to go back into avast and manually turn it back on at least once a day, utilizing the fix it now button.  the past week I have been having more sever issues to where the fix it now button no longer works and I cannot got get avast active again.  I tried reinstalling with no luck.  Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

MAG

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 10:01:56 PM »
Just out of interest - do you have Trusteer Rapport or SAS Pro on your system?

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 08:17:30 PM »
Hi Mag,
still hunting this bug. Thanks for the dumps, they look more or less the same at seem like a memory corruption somewhere inside Firewall Service. Still not able to find the cause. I am trying now with Trusteer Rapport but so far no problems here  :-[

Lukas.

MAG

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 06:43:08 PM »
Thanks for the update Lukas.

I'm running my own test with rapport - so far inconclusive. A problem with tests is that the firewall stops are infrequent and irregular - sometimes it runs fine for a few days (when I say a few days - I should point out that my machine is only turned on for a few hours each day).

I uninstalled rapport, rebooted, and everything with the firewall seemed fine. Then I re-installed rapport, and after a few hours the firewall stopped.

I uninstalled rapport again and rebooted, and fairly soon ater the firewall stopped again!

I rebooted again and everything has been fine since (for over 2 days now).

So I don't know if the reappearance of the firewall problem after rapport was uninstalled (+1 reboot) proves that rapport is not the culprit?

Alternatively, can a second reboot after rapport uninstall achieve something that the first one didn't, meaning that rapport may have been responsible after all? (but not that it definitely was)?

Beyond me!

In another couple of days if everything is still OK I will reinstall rapport.