Author Topic: Latest version blocking Opera mail's smtp  (Read 9505 times)

bix-nc

Latest version blocking Opera mail's smtp
« on: May 08, 2010, 12:39:54 AM »
When avast updated itself this morning, I became unable to send e-mail with Opera giving an error that SMTP was not available. It sends fine if I disable avast's outgoing scan.  I'm using TLS.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Latest version blocking Opera mail's smtp
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 01:26:26 AM »
What do you mean when avast updated itself this morning, a VPS virus signature update shouldn't have that impact, only a program update is likely to have any effect (change of process that might cause a firewall to block) and program updates aren't automatic. So can you expand on the update that took place ?

Are you able to collect email without having to stop the Mail Shield ?

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and try to send some email, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bix-nc

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 02:19:37 AM »
The update was a version update, not definitions. Poor choice of words on my part. I can receive incoming emails with no problem. I do not have a software firewall, only a Linksys router with Tomato firmware. The problem only started with the avast upgrade.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 03:09:41 AM »
What version and build number (the bit after the 5.0) do you actually have 5.0.545 is the latest version ?
What was your previous version and build number ?

Two problems (for me) I don't use Opera (and consequently Opera Mail) nor do I have a router (still stuck with dial-up) so I can't really test anything or give suggestions based on personal experience.

I don't know if your router has some sort of outbound filtering (Tomato Firmware, etc.) or not, if so check it out in the same way as the above firewall suggestion.

What error message are you getting in relation to sending email ?
Does your Opera Mail have the use SSL/TLS option checked in the email account settings ?
If so uncheck it and allow avast to handle the TLS side.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Vaelor

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 04:03:28 AM »
Hi

I'm having the same problem since today's version update to  5.0.545. The problem only started with the avast upgrade.

I don't use opera mail, but use gmail and I use Pocosystems Barca as a client.

It is the smtp that is blocked.

I had Barca set so it didn't use SSL/TLS but allowed avast to handle the TLS side.

I can receive emails fine but not send them if I have the Avast mail shield active. If I turn it off then it works fine and can send emails.

It is clearly a problem with this update and I will leave the shield off until it is fixed in the next program update.

Vaelor

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 04:42:31 AM »
Same drill then answer the questions relating to error massages.

What does the Mail Shield, Expert Settings, SSL Accounts show for the Port and Encryption methods (for the SMTP which isn't working) ?

Vaelor

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 06:25:42 AM »
The error message is in teh client and not in Avast. It is " Logging into smtp,gmail.com server Error while receiving connection closed"

The Mail Shield, Expert Settings, SSL Accounts shows for the Port 587 and Encryption method TLS for the SMTP which isn't working.

Cheers

Vaelor

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 02:19:38 PM »
Does that match the port setting in your email account settings ?
As from my limited experience of the workings of the Mail Shield TLS is used with port 25.

If it is the correct port, you could try changing it from TLS to SSL/TLS in the Expert Settings, SSL Accounts.

Other than that I will have to wait for someone that actually uses SSL/TLS accounts (and Opera Mail) as I don't, so I can't refer to my own settings.

bix-nc

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 03:09:14 PM »
Opera is set to use TLS through port 587. Avast has the connection listed in the server list. Opera's error message is that SMTP service is unavailable. The error seems to be triggered in the authentication stage, judged by watching the progress on the Opera window.

Changing avast to use an SSL instead of TLS encryption does not work.

This problem did not occur before the update to 5.0.545

doktornotor

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 03:14:09 PM »
Opera is set to use TLS through port 587.

That's wrong. Encryption in Opera must be set to NONE

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 03:46:01 PM »
see here (link below) the forums are getting crowded with new threads from people who aren't aware that they never used the mail shield before, and now for some reason ssl entries are being created  in Avast even though the mail client is still set to use ssl ports. So there's a bug, but that's fun hearing people saying that when the mail shield is off, than can send/receive mails without any problem ;D ...meaning they never configured it to work with the mail shield before anyway.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59478.msg501230#msg501230
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 03:47:59 PM by Logos »

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 04:14:38 PM »
see here (link below) the forums are getting crowded with new threads from people who aren't aware that they never used the mail shield before, and now for some reason ssl entries are being created  in Avast even though the mail client is still set to use ssl ports. So there's a bug, but that's fun hearing people saying that when the mail shield is off, than can send/receive mails without any problem ;D ...meaning they never configured it to work with the mail shield before anyway.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59478.msg501230#msg501230
Yes, I didn't configure my mail accounts to work with Avast 5 but all previous builds of Avast 5 didn't block my mail. Only build 545 started doing so.

Why I didn't change my accounts before? Because I trust(ed) that Gmail checks all incoming letters itself.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 04:17:02 PM by George Yves »
May the FOSS be with you!

Vaelor

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 04:49:42 AM »
Logos thanks for your help.

I had under Avast, before the update, made the changes in security that the popup message had suggested, but it seems I had not done enough. While I had reversed those steps when I turned off the mail shield for outgoing emails, by following your clear guidance I have the shield on and mails coming and going.

I hadn't realised that the shield wasn't working previously.

Again thanks for your help.

Cheers

Vaelor

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 12:02:46 PM »
@ Vaelor: you're welcome
@ Georges Yves: why did you leave the mail shield running previously if you "intentionally" didn't configure Thb to use it ???

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 05:42:18 PM »
@ Georges Yves: why did you leave the mail shield running previously if you "intentionally" didn't configure Thb to use it ???
I left mail provider on because I have not only Gmail accounts - I used it to scan my Mail.ru account.
May the FOSS be with you!