Author Topic: Free Avast 5.0.545 (Newest Update) -- Web Shield Completely Blocks Browsing?  (Read 14215 times)

Krylancelo

Hi all,

I'm a long time user of Avast and have been building and configuring computers all my life... First time I've ever seen this. At first I thought I had somehow managed to get a virus, a trillion checks with every application and program I know of (and I know a lot) and nothing comes up. Okay, maybe DNS problem? Flushed DNS. Registered DNS. Rebuilt the TCP/IP stack. Tried to manually enter my DNS servers. By-passed the router and went directly to the cable modem. Called cable company.

The part that really confused me was I was able to do things like play videogames and pings to domain names WERE responding. So it wasn't an internet connection or DNS issue... It was a browser issue. Tried reinstalling Firefox. Didn't fix it.

Finally, I just say "well let's try to turn off firewall and anti-virus". And it works. After playing with it, it is the Avast 5 Web Shield that is causing the problem. With only that shield disabled, I have full browsing capability but with it on, I cannot get to any website at all. I can obviously browse around fine with the shield turned off but would prefer to have it on for the added security if at all possible.

Strange or is this a common problem with the new program update that came out today? I just installed it and things went haywire!

Anyone else with the same problem, please feel free to post. Also if you want more information from my system, let me know. I'll be happy to share what I have as far as logs and specifications.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 03:06:03 AM by Krylancelo »

Krylancelo

I do want to mention that every single website I tried in both Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 3 were blocked.

If this is a bug in the program I hope it can be fixed soon as I can imagine I'm not the only one with the problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
When programs are updated, process files are changed and that can have the effect of the firewall blocking a process that requires internet connection and this is what I think is happening here for you.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Krylancelo

When programs are updated, process files are changed and that can have the effect of the firewall blocking a process that requires internet connection and this is what I think is happening here for you.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

The only firewall I currently have running is the Windows Firewall. I have added avastsvc.exe in the Avast directory as an exception to that. The problem still persists.

I tried removing it from the list after adding it and it did not prompt me to add it back.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Well I don't know if you have outbound protection enabled in the win7 firewall as it is off by default.

Unfortunately I don't use win7 so I can't really be any practical help in that regard.

The web shield only monitors HTTP port 80 traffic so pings, etc. which don't use that would get through unmolested.

Whilst you shouldn't have to do this you could try to manually set your browser to use the web shield proxy and see if that makes a difference. These tutorials are dated and you will need to find the appropriate setting in IE8 and FF.

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Krylancelo

Well I don't know if you have outbound protection enabled in the win7 firewall as it is off by default.

Unfortunately I don't use win7 so I can't really be any practical help in that regard.

The web shield only monitors HTTP port 80 traffic so pings, etc. which don't use that would get through unmolested.

Whilst you shouldn't have to do this you could try to manually set your browser to use the web shield proxy and see if that makes a difference. These tutorials are dated and you will need to find the appropriate setting in IE8 and FF.

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox

Tried adding that proxy to firefox and it still didn't work. :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else to suggest.

Do you use a proxy to connect to the Internet (web shield not included) ?

What other security software do you have installed ?

Did you have avast 4.8 installed and running on this system before 5.0 ?

If so it may be worth trying a clean reinstall:
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.545 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Hermite15

Tried adding that proxy to firefox and it still didn't work.

1 try to replace localhost with 127.0.0.1 (it's the same but you never know)

2 check that the line "no proxy for" is empty (again, not sure that would change anything since the proxy itself is 127.0.0.1 now) >>> if you experience problems, put 127.0.0.1 and local host back there.

3 add this line to webshield.ini >>> OptinProcess=firefox.exe

Krylancelo

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else to suggest.

Do you use a proxy to connect to the Internet (web shield not included) ?

No. I do not use a proxy.

What other security software do you have installed ?

None at this time. I'm a big believer in your own intelligence and being careful to be the best security. I do of course still run Avast anti-virus however to be on the safe side. The only other "security" software I have is Noscript with Firefox.

Did you have avast 4.8 installed and running on this system before 5.0 ?

No I recently changed to an SSD and this is a fresh install. First AV that went on it was Avast 5. Should I still try the reinstall?

Krylancelo

Tried adding that proxy to firefox and it still didn't work.

1 try to replace localhost with 127.0.0.1 (it's the same but you never know)

2 check that the line "no proxy for" is empty (again, not sure that would change anything since the proxy itself is 127.0.0.1 now) >>> if you experience problems, put 127.0.0.1 and local host back there.

3 add this line to webshield.ini >>> OptinProcess=firefox.exe

I replaced localhost with 127.0.0.1 and it didn't fix it. Left 127.0.0.1 in that line and then removed the no proxy for line as suggested. This also did not resolve the problem. I still have to completely disable the Web Shield in order to have a functioning browser.

Where is the webshield.ini file? A search of my computer and a manual search of my Avast directory didn't turn it up. Thanks!

Hermite15

it's there in Vista/Seven:
C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5

replace program data with documents and settings\all users\application data\... in XP

laggy

I am trying to find a resolution to this issue.  I have installed Avast on many machines.  It seems to work fine for a while and then the ability to browse ceases.  Disabling Web Shield has been my only recourse.  I have searched other Avast threads, but still can not find an answer.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I am trying to find a resolution to this issue.  I have installed Avast on many machines.  It seems to work fine for a while and then the ability to browse ceases.  Disabling Web Shield has been my only recourse.  I have searched other Avast threads, but still can not find an answer.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Update to the latest beta.
The best things in life are free.

Mr.GP

still blocking.i already update avast 5.1.864.but it sn`t working.i can use FF when close web-shield. :'(

Hermite15

still blocking.i already update avast 5.1.864.but it sn`t working.i can use FF when close web-shield. :'(

outdated thread (5.0.545)... you should post it there http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68564.0 or start your own thread