Author Topic: Avast and windows firewall not happy together?  (Read 31779 times)

Dch48

Re: Avast and windows firewall not happy together?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »
No they shouldn't be sent through messages as, a) that is only seen by one person and b) most people seeking help haven't got 20 posts as in the case of reallyold with only 14, so can't use the PM function.

There is nothing wrong in attaching the log file to the post though.
Yes you're right, an attachment would be better since then everyone who wanted to see it could and those who didn't wouldn't have to scroll through it.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »
well the HjT is an easy read as it is, and besides reallyold did start the thread

@really old
I'm in the middle of something, but quick glance tells me nothing real bad shows up in HjT.

use Start Manager in ccleaner to stop following program/app from starting automatically with Windows -

NvMediaCenter
nwiz
Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
Cmaudio
Dimension4
Microsoft Office.lnk

to overdo things a bit, I guess, but unless you have overriding reason for having one of them start at boot up
but these programs will autorun anyway, when you start by opening the program
you can edit in yr preferences later once you smooth running

I've got a feeling may be nvidia controls - NvMediaCenter and nwiz
but see how we go

Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

lybra

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 01:34:48 PM »
I have had similar or maybe same problem as reallyold. First I had avast 4.8 home and it turned off my Win Firewall. After unsuccesfull tries to turn it on i gave up. Now for few weeks i had Avast 5.0545 free and the same problem.

I didnt care about it untill i was trying to forward some ports to play games online.
Digging on the net about problems with port forwarding I found that Broken Win Firewall make port forwarding unavailable.

Now after reading this posts I uninstalled Avast 5 (normally not in Safe mode) succesfully but Win Firewall still cant be run.
It throws a message "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service" .

I even tried to repair Win firewall with Shane's Tool from PcWinTech.com : http://www.pcwintech.com/files/shanes_toolbox/Repair_WMI_&_Windows_Firewall.zip .

I installed SP3 again and still no result .
Windows Installation was correct . Win Firewall worked before installing avast.
Last thing i have in mind is to try to uninstall avast in safe mode and maybe clearing registry.

So reallyold is not alone with his problem - its not unusuall problem. Just people give up with it untill it starts to be disturbing.

Dch48

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 06:13:20 PM »
I have never heard of an AV program, Avast! or any other, turning off the Windows Firewall. Security suites that include their own Firewall, yes, but never a standalone AV.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2010, 06:23:54 PM »
I have never heard of an AV program, Avast! or any other, turning off the Windows Firewall. Security suites that include their own Firewall, yes, but never a standalone AV.

+1 ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2010, 11:06:14 PM »
avast and even AIS (the suite, with a firewall) do NOT change the Windows firewall status.
AIS could be run side by side with Windows firewall.
The best things in life are free.

lybra

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2010, 01:41:46 AM »
I dont understand , whats the point of your theoretical statements ? Fact is fact. On some computers it does disable Win Firewall and theres nothing to deny. Focus on solution instead of pointless contentions.

Dch48

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2010, 02:04:54 AM »
I don't think there can be a solution since it seems that you are the only one this has ever happened to. As I said, AV applications never mess with Windows Firewall. There has to be something specific to your system that is causing this.

The only thing I can offer is this.  When I had disabled the ICS service on this computer, Windows Firewall could not start because of that and I got the very same message you did but I also got a message asking me if I wanted to enable the necessary services. When I clicked on yes, the Firewall worked perfectly. Do some searches on how to enable ICS on your system.

lybra

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2010, 02:12:58 AM »
... you are the only one this has ever happened to ...
When I clicked on yes, the Firewall worked perfectly. Do some searches on how to enable ICS on your system.

Read my first post again carefully.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2010, 04:50:16 AM »
Hi lybra

have you checked if yr firewall is turned off in Services?
Start -> right-click (My) Computer and select Manage _> click through Services and Applications to bring up Services
click Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service and set to Start and Automatic
The Restart computer

It is possible there these is some kind of glitch and have to keep trying different things, such as above where I list a few things for reallyold to try out - these may work and may not work, but hard to say without actual being there.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

lybra

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2010, 06:04:03 AM »
Hi mkis

Yes and i can even show you all automatic services.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2010, 08:37:23 AM »
Can you edit the line Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service
click it and set it as Started - (like the line above it - that is, Windows Audio)

Then Restart the computer - any help?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:11:21 AM by mkis »

YoKenny

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2010, 01:00:11 PM »
@ lybra

Please review BlackViper's recomendations for Windows XP Services:
Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »
yes I agree. thanks Yokenny.

and please let us know how you get on

lybra

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2010, 02:36:39 PM »
Well YoKenny there is something about it.
SO:
1. Application Layer Gateway Service is not started by any other service (I can do it although)
2. Seems to be problem with this services :

3.And as i wrote @ my 1st post :

Can some1 show me how this registry should look like : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:49:07 PM by lybra »