Author Topic: Avast 5.0.545: unable to send mail from smtp.gmail.com  (Read 13182 times)

Hermite15

Re: Avast 5.0.545: unable to send mail from smtp.gmail.com
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 08:38:27 PM »
Hello,

Please read the post that I just sent, explaining that it seems that any software trying to connect to port 587 is actually connecting to port 25 if Avast 5.0.545 is running, even if it seems displayed otherwise.

Gingko

nope, not here ::)

sded

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 08:42:23 PM »
That is false.  I connect to Gmail using Thunderbird and Windows Mail with port 587 in both the client and the server.  Port 25 does not work with Gmail unless Avast! translates it for you as part of its handling of the scanning of encrypted traffic for your particular client.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:49:56 PM by sded »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 07:09:20 AM »
I am a user of Gmail and Thunderbird for secured account access both POP and IMAP.

This was working perfectly well with avast 5 with security turned off in Thunderbird until recently and allowing avast 5 to provide the secure connections. 

In the past week (probably longer) there have been unexpected messages from avast and unexpected timeouts of access to the GMail servers while I have made no changes to my Thunderbird settings.

At the same time there have been no issues with avast and its handling of the secure connections to other accounts such as Hotmail POP and AOL IMAP.

Let me say that anyone who has been in these forums long enough will know that I predicted that the avast team, while providing a mechanism for scanning emails delivered via secure connections rather later than the likes of AVG, would provide a much more elegant solution than the AVG team. They have lived up completely to my expectation. 

Nevertheless, there is a problem.

In recent days I have been receiving messages from avast about secured accounts that cannot be scanned and asking me to turn off the SSL/TLS security in the mail client.  Looking in the "expert settings" of the email scanner has shown me a range of explicit IP addresses for IMAP and POP.  All of the IP addresses turn out to belong to Google.  In the same period I have not successfully accessed my GMail accounts (as reported by other users - and rather put down by other contributors to this thread).

As I have mentioned above ... I have been around for a while ... I kinda know ... at the simplest level that I aspire to ... the avast developer mindset. 

So here is what I did ... and I do not recommend this to other avast users while the team takes a look at this post.

I edited the emailshield.ini file and removed every reference to GMail and to the large number of IP addresses to Google mail servers.

I restored the secure accesses for the GMail accounts in Thunderbird.

I allowed avast to report the GMail servers once again and then removed the secure access settings in Thunderbird for the Gmail POP and IMAP servers. 

Now on starting Thunderbird it accesses the "secure" (as in secured by avast) GMail POP and IMAP accounts successfully. 

Time for the avast team to do some testing of their own.  Could this be an issue of GMail making changes to the addressing of its server farm (including intervening DNS name changes) that avast does not comprehend? 

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 04:01:05 PM »
FWIW, I use Pegasus Mail with Avast Mail Shield disabled.  GMail server certificates were updated in the past week or so.  I have server certificate fingerprint tracking on in Pegasus Mail.  I checked and had to accept the new certificate before I could send and receive mail thru GMail.  Avast was not the issue in my case, but the certificate change have caused your problem.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner