Author Topic: Avast 5.0.545: unable to send mail from smtp.gmail.com  (Read 13183 times)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
Avast 5.0.545: unable to send mail from smtp.gmail.com
« on: May 08, 2010, 01:47:20 PM »
I had no problems with mail till the latest version of Avast. What should I do?

When I try to send a letter (I'm using Thunderbird 3.0.4) from any of my Gmail accounts, I get a notice that Thunderbird is unable to connect with smtp.gmail.com through STARTTLS. When I stop the mail provider in Avast, everything works.

May the FOSS be with you!

Hermite15

Re: Avast 5.0.545: unable to send mail from smtp.gmail.com
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:00:02 PM »
meaning again (like a few other posters who reported the same "non-issue"), that you didn't set Thunderbird to work with the mail shield, and you mails were never scanned. If it works when the mail shield is off, it means that you're using ssl settings in Thunderbird ::) The mail shield shouldn't block the connections though, just send you a message that an ssl account was detected and that mails can't be scanned. This detection setting can be turned off, if you don't want to use the mail shield.
 So there might be a bug indeed, i.e. there shouldn't be any interference with Thunderbird if the mail shield usable ports are ignored, but since you didn't set Thunderbird properly, you could just as well deactivate the mail shield.
 What's possible is that even though you didn't set Thb properly (to communicate with Avast proxy), the mail proxy still sets ssl accounts entries for Gmail, leading to conflicts when connecting. If that's the case that's a bug.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:05:07 PM by Logos »

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 02:15:56 PM »
I have been using Thunderbird for years. It had no conflicts with Avast 4.8 and Avast 5 till version 507. Everything had been working OK untill I updated Avast to version 545.

I changed nothing in TB and you can see my mail settings for smtp.gmail.com - I haven't SSL, only STARTTLS.

And these are my settings (automatically formed) in Avast's mail provider:

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:23:00 PM by George Yves »

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 02:30:53 PM »
you've used thb for a while and you never had your mails scanned by avast ;) remove TLS and put "none" instead. For POP, put 143 110 (in Thunderbird),and security set to "none". Leave your avast settings that way.

ps: + Avast 4.8 didn't have any ssl proxy, there was another procedure and I don't think you know about it (no offense intended).

edit: I notice that your username isn't a Gmail username. Could be that your ISP is using Gmail...normally the @gmail.com shouldn't be inserted (in the username line), but in your case the @...must remain because Gmail servers won't be able to guess the psg-one.org
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:43:50 PM by Logos »

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »
I must:
1) Change TLS for smtp.gmail.com to None in Avast
2) Put port 143 for POP3 in all my gmail accounts in TB

Do I understand you right?

edit: I notice that your username isn't a Gmail username. Could be that your ISP is using Gmail...normally the @gmail.com shouldn't be inserted (in the username line), but in your case the @...must remain because Gmail servers won't be able to guess the psg-one.org
I administrate the site of my school (www.psg-one.org) and I made for the site two mail boxes in gmail. I have one more gmail account (gyves111000@gmail.com) but I can't send mail from it either.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:46:04 PM by George Yves »

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 02:43:07 PM »
I must:
1) Change TLS for smtp.gmail.com to None in Avast
2) Put port 143 for POP3 in all my gmail accounts

Do I understand you right?

no ;D >>> change TLS to none in Thunderbird

again: in thunderbird, put smtp to 587 and security to none
                                   pop to 110 and security to none (sorry I said 143 that's not for POP)

and in Avast: DO NOTHING!!!

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 03:02:54 PM »
I changed security to None in smtp; port 587 - I have already had it. Now I can send letters.

But why I must change settings for POP?

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 03:06:14 PM »
I changed security to None in smtp; port 587 - I have already had it. Now I can send letters.

But why I must change settings for POP?

okay, change it for pop too, otherwise you will receive mails but they won't be scanned
(that's still more important than smtp because I suppose you don't send viruses, but you may get some ;D )

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 03:28:36 PM »
So I changed gmail POP settings too. But how I can be sure that now I can receive mail?

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 03:39:19 PM »
So I changed gmail POP settings too. But how I can be sure that now I can receive mail?

send a mail to yourself

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 04:06:03 PM »
I sent two letters: the first from one my gmail account to another my gmail account, and the second from my mail.ru account (POP 110, security - none; SMTP - 25, security - none) to the same gmail account.

I got the both letters but there is one difference in them. The letter from mail.ru hasn't the notice that it is clean and the letter from gmail has. In my Avast settings I marked to insert such notice both in incoming and outcoming mail. Is there something wrong with my mail.ru account?

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »
don't know about yours but in my country they usually say thanks ::)
...see message source of the ru mails, and look for anything about outbound/inbound and avast...the fact that you don't get the inserted note doesn't mean that it wasn't scanned. You can check the mail shield traffic too in avast UI...

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 04:22:33 PM »
Sorry for my impoliteness. Thank you very much for your help. The only excuse I can think is that I have some issues with my web-site and I am dealing with two problems at once.

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 04:25:18 PM »
Sorry for my impoliteness. Thank you very much for your help. The only excuse I can think is that I have some issues with my web-site and I am dealing with two problems at once.

ok np ;)

Gingko

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 07:12:47 PM »
Hello,

Please read the post that I just sent, explaining that it seems that any software trying to connect to port 587 is actually connecting to port 25 if Avast 5.0.545 is running, even if it seems displayed otherwise.

Gingko
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:22:17 PM by Gingko »