Author Topic: Avast 5 with RDP totally locks up computer  (Read 3581 times)

steelej

Avast 5 with RDP totally locks up computer
« on: May 08, 2010, 02:39:14 PM »
Using Avast 5.0.545 with XP Pro (fully patched) and connecting to XP via RDP from Vista.

RDP completely locks up XP machine. I see a totally black screen on both the remote desktop and the XP machine. The only way I have found to recover  is the power off switch.

When I switch off the File Shield on XP then I can connect. The other shields can be left running. This is completely repeatable.

This is not a satisfactory state of affairs. I have been using and strongly recommending Avast for years. Do I have to look for an alternative?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Avast 5 with RDP totally locks up computer
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:41:24 PM »
Wait for confirmation. They can fix lots of bugs via regular daily updates in avast! 5. Maybe this one falls there and they can fix it fast.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

doktornotor

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 02:46:14 PM »
Cannot reproduce here w/ 5.0.545 and XP Pro SP3

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 04:09:18 PM »
We use RDP quite a lot... so it's certainly not a common problem.
Would you be able to create & upload a full memory dump at the moment the machine is frozen?
(provided there's a PS/2 keyboard on that machine, i.e. not USB, the description is here.)

steelej

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 06:26:08 PM »
Thanks for the response. Following the request to send a sytem dump I have been unable to recreate the fault. RDP has started working correctly again.

Since I raised the problem the following changes have occured.

• I changed the registry setting, as requested, to prepare to force a Blue Screen
  • The AV signatures on the XP machine (the target of the RDP) and the Vista machine (where I was running the RDP connection from) were both updated through a normal update.
  • The Vista machine was rebooted (which should have had no effect). The XP machine had been rebooted many times while I tried the various experimnents needed to report the earlier problem.

I don't know what to conlude from this but at least my RDP is working again. Could it have been some form of false positive in the signature file?