Author Topic: Computer does not boot after newest Avast update  (Read 14021 times)

Classic

Computer does not boot after newest Avast update
« on: May 08, 2010, 03:42:45 PM »
Hello,

I received an update notification last night, and updated Avast. It says my PC needs to be restarted to complete the update, do you want to restart? It says that with every update, so I thought nothing of it and clicked Yes.

Since last night, and this morning, my PC has never been able to restart. I get the Gigabtye Motherboard screen, and it just stops there. I tried restarting while tapping F12, and I can't even access the boot menu or go into safe mode. It just freezes as soon as the cpu turns on, and never goes past the MB screen.

This has never happened to any computer I've ever owned, and it only started when I updated avast last night. I seriously doubt it's a hardware issue, since my PC is new and was working completely fine until I updated Avast.

Is anyone else having this issue, and more importantly, how can fix it?

Thanks,
Classic

MAG

Re: Computer does not boot after newest Avast update
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 04:02:24 PM »
I've only once had something very similar to this happen - and it did turn out to be a hardware issue (catastophically failed RAM module).

It's a bit of a coincidence that you'd just updated - but I guess something or other updates every week or so on my PC, so maybe not implausible?

(Sorry I can't be more help - but this will at least put you back to the top of the posts list and maybe attract someone more knowledgeable to take an interest!)

Classic

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 04:19:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply. How did you fix the issue, just swap out the RAM?

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 04:21:16 PM »
Not Avast fault for sure. At than point (POST screen) avast is not running at all. For starters, you could try to clear CMOS (see the MB manual for instructions) and then run a memtest if you are at least able to get past POST.

Derelict_AZ

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 04:35:20 PM »
I had an issue with a new Gigabyte MB failing to boot and it turned out to be a USB peripheral. I had to disable something in the BIOS to get the board to boot with the USB device plugged in. I'm not at home currently, so I can't check the setting. If you plugged in any new hardware, you could try unplugging it to see if it will boot.

MAG

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 04:40:39 PM »
I had two RAM modules installed. I diagnosed the fault by removing them one at a time. With the failed one out, the computer booted and ran (slowly). With the the good one out it wouldn't boot.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 05:14:39 PM »
If it stops at motherboard logo, it's certainly not avast!'s fault, because at that point, no software is loaded. It just seems to be a bad timing for hardware issue to come up.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 05:26:15 PM »
See if the BIOS gives you any error message to work with...
Look at the BIOS vendors page to lookup any solution. (What does the error mean or to what component does it relate..? Maybe there's a download for updating or something else...)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Classic

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »
Thanks for the all the info guys. How do I get to the BIOS and CMOS? It just freezes at the mobo screen and doesn't load anything. Is there a work around?

Mag, I will swap out the ram and see if that works. Fingers crossed.

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 05:42:52 PM »
Its very obvious the issue in hardware.

Try replugging memory card and video card.

Use blower to clean the dust.
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 05:44:26 PM »
might sound stupid but your MB might refuse to boot your system if your CPU fan is dead ;) check that before swapping anything else.

edit: for clearing CMOS that's either a jumper or a switch (or remove the bios battery >>> and put it back in ;D )
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 05:49:26 PM by Logos »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 05:47:09 PM »

Good luck..!! Hardware issues are not easy to fix, sometimes...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Krylancelo

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 05:48:02 PM »
Thanks for the all the info guys. How do I get to the BIOS and CMOS? It just freezes at the mobo screen and doesn't load anything. Is there a work around?

Does it actually get past POST (Power On Self Test)? What is the last thing it says before it freezes? I would recommend going into BIOS (usually F1 or F2 to get into it, just hit that key a lot til you get in) and turning off the motherboard screen and making it actually show you the POST so you can see error messages and what's going on.

I would take out and re-seat all of your hardware. PCI cards, videocard, processor and heat sink (make sure to use rubbing alcohol to wipe the thermal paste off and MAKE SURE YOU REAPPLY NEW PASTE), and RAM. Do the processor last as it's the most annoying one (and if you aren't very computer savvy you may not want to remove your heatsink). Check that all power connectors are in the motherboard tight. Make sure that there aren't any loose cables at all. Make sure all your fans (especially the one on the heat sink for the processor) are spinning and plugged in.

That's the first step. If that doesn't fix it. Try booting with one RAM stick at a time. If only one of them freezes you, you've found your bad RAM stick.

If you still can't find the problem, try swapping in known good parts. It could possibly be a bad processor or motherboard too.

doktornotor

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »
Or bad power supply... I'd actually start there if clearing CMOS doesn't get you past POST.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 06:15:19 PM »
Or bad power supply... I'd actually start there if clearing CMOS doesn't get you past POST.

+1
Always start there...
asyn