Author Topic: Computer does not boot after newest Avast update  (Read 13958 times)

Classic

Re: Computer does not boot after newest Avast update
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 09:12:29 PM »
I had an issue with a new Gigabyte MB failing to boot and it turned out to be a USB peripheral. I had to disable something in the BIOS to get the board to boot with the USB device plugged in. I'm not at home currently, so I can't check the setting. If you plugged in any new hardware, you could try unplugging it to see if it will boot.
this was it. one of my external harddrives is dying slowly.

even though this issue had nothing to do with Avast, you guys were able to trouble shoot it. I appreciate it.

Now I just have to find a way to transfer my data from this old HD. Hopefully the drive is fine and it's just a power issue.

Thanks again guys.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 09:20:36 PM »
even though this issue had nothing to do with Avast, you guys were able to trouble shoot it. I appreciate it.
Now I just have to find a way to transfer my data from this old HD. Hopefully the drive is fine and it's just a power issue.
Thanks again guys.

On behalf of all helpers...
You're welcome..!! Hope you can recover your data...!!
Good luck! :)
asyn
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 09:25:32 PM by Asyn »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Derelict_AZ

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 10:11:56 PM »

Thanks again guys.

If the drive works ok once you're booted into Windows, it might just be a BIOS setting. I would run a chkdsk on the drive to verify. If it is ok, then some things to try disabling in the BIOS would be Legacy USB storage detect or possibly USB mouse as pictured here. I'm glad that you found the source of the problems!  :)

Classic

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 09:26:30 PM »
I'm having the problem again, except now it doesn't even make it to the boot screen. As soon as I turn my computer on, the motherboard beeps and a red light shows on the board. There are 6 lights lit up on the mobo, next to "Phase LED." 4 are yellow, one orange, and the last red. I'm thinking this last light is not a good sign, but I don't know what to make of it. I checked all of the wires and nothing is loose, so I don't know what to do next.

I know this has nothing to do with Avast, but you guys were so helpful last time, maybe one of you has an idea.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 09:43:08 PM »
1. Find out the manufacturer.
2. Go to the homepage and search for the meaning of the lights/beeps. (Will help you troubleshooting)
3. Replace corrupt hardware.
4. Good luck.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Classic

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 10:02:01 PM »
1. Find out the manufacturer.
2. Go to the homepage and search for the meaning of the lights/beeps. (Will help you troubleshooting)
3. Replace corrupt hardware.
4. Good luck.
asyn

Thanks. I have the manufacturer and exact model (GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P P45 775), but all of my troubleshooting has lead me to RAM issues. I've switched the ram and still can't get a POST screen. I was hoping someone here may have had a similar issue, but maybe it's not that common.  :'(

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 10:09:18 PM »
Thanks. I have the manufacturer and exact model (GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P P45 775), but all of my troubleshooting has lead me to RAM issues. I've switched the ram and still can't get a POST screen. I was hoping someone here may have had a similar issue, but maybe it's not that common.  :'(

Did you go into BIOS after switching the RAM...?
See if the BIOS autodedects the new RAM, if not adjust the settings manually.
Save the BIOS-settings afterwards.
asyn

Classic

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 10:11:49 PM »

Did you go into BIOS after switching the RAM...?
See if the BIOS autodedects the new RAM, if not adjust the settings manually.
Save the BIOS-settings afterwards.
asyn

How do I go into BIOS without a post screen? My monitor is pitch black I'm afraid.

De Hollander

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 10:59:36 PM »
After searching on this site: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/support-downloads/download-center.aspx

I found this manual.     http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ep45-ud3p(ud3r)(ud3)_1.6_e.pdf   (pdf file)

Now, I'm not 100% sure if it's the right one but looking at page 35,

23)  PHASE LED
The number of lighted LEDs indicates the CPU loading. The higher the CPU loading, the more the
number of lighted LEDs. To enable the Phase LED display function,  please first enable Dynamic Energy
Saver Advanced. Refer to Chapter 4, "Dynamic Energy Saver Advanced," for more details.

Have you submitted a support ticket   ???   http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 11:19:17 PM »
How do I go into BIOS without a post screen? My monitor is pitch black I'm afraid.

Disconnect hardware one by one (in this case remove the new RAM)
See if you get to post. Maybe you purchased wrong RAM..?
Also read De Hollander's links...!
asyn

Classic

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 02:09:28 AM »
I filled out a ticket hours ago. I don't think they will respond any time soon.

I swapped RAM sticks and nothing happened. I just put in a new RAM stick, and the beeping got worse. Instead of one beep, it's a series of them, and still no POST screen.  ???

Classic

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 03:48:16 AM »
I took the mobo battery out for 10 seconds and put it back. That seemed to do the trick.  ???

;D  ;D  ;D

Thanks again guys

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 03:52:01 AM »
I filled out a ticket hours ago. I don't think they will respond any time soon.
Can you, please, send to them (mourek (at) avast.com) the ticket ID or inform them the email address you have used and, also, where you have send it (email address). This could help you to receive proper help from them.
The best things in life are free.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 06:09:20 AM »
Holy cow.
You guys freakin rock!
The next time I build a new home system...I'm taking all of you with me.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 05:14:47 PM »
I took the mobo battery out for 10 seconds and put it back. That seemed to do the trick.  ???
 ;D  ;D  ;D
Thanks again guys

Unconventional resolution...!! ;D
You're always welcome..!
asyn