Author Topic: Malware name Win32:Vitro  (Read 340233 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Malware name Win32:Vitro
« Reply #360 on: December 21, 2009, 10:35:16 PM »
@ essexboy
I have see another list, from some time ago that also includes *.doc *.jpg *.pdf you may be familiar with it as I believe it was one of your posts ;D

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=43272.msg406710#msg406710

Are these still potential targets and reinfection vectors ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #361 on: December 21, 2009, 10:37:46 PM »
Hi David - no it turns out they were misidentified on just one system after further research

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #362 on: December 22, 2009, 12:05:21 AM »
Thanks, I can scrub them from 'my list' ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dr. Kosher

« Reply #363 on: December 22, 2009, 04:07:08 AM »
Hello everyone, I have a question:  Are there weaker strains of the Vitro Worm??  I just experienced a slight panic a while ago when I was preparing to install an expansion pack to one of my programs, which set Avast's network shield off, so I did a Virus scan, and was prompted to do a boot scan.  Later, after removing three infections, I quickly downloaded DrWebCureIt and I'm currently using this to make sure that I'm virus free, which unfortunately includes my external hard drives because one can never be too careful.

This frightens me becuase for a while I wasn't able to access this along with a few other Antivirus related websites, but I'm on the alleged computer that became somewhat infected, and there's no telling when I'll be unable to access this site again.  

Anyone's feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dr. Kosher
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 06:35:54 AM by Dr. Kosher »

Noisemaker

« Reply #364 on: May 09, 2010, 05:03:09 AM »
I just became the recent rape victim from this terrorist. I hope this person(s) is caught and severely tortured Vlad style in a remote location. But I digress...

So I guess any exposed .EXE files of mine have been savaged. Now what of back ups in WinZip or WinRAR? My big fear is most of my back ups and data are on an external HD.
I've reinstalled clean from my boot disks, got the great Avast installed, and am slowly trying to get my work back together. This is my first virus I had to deal with, and what a prick of a virus to get inundated with!

So as a checklist - I can still access files from my HD and copy to my lappy's. As long as they aren't .EXE's and I don't touch them. Most of my work is music and graphics, so I don't think they got infected? Now when dealing with WinRar's - best to copy them onto my system, turn off HD, Unzip/rar, run Avast scan on folder/exe, and hopefully be able to install again safely? And what of .DLL's? Would they be relatively untouched, as I use a lot of them for music too.

Thanks as well Polonus, great links to read up on. This AVG thing sounds promising to shave the crud off, but don't like the sound that Avast still treats it as infected? I've got many old gear and software here that I should've backed up better I know. But will anyone you think be able to rid this prickish crap off cleanly and safely in future? Avast, AVG, Kaspersky et al? Anyone that can crush this nut good, I'm there!