Author Topic: Boot time scan  (Read 15152 times)

RickyD

Boot time scan
« on: June 30, 2003, 02:49:45 PM »
Is there a boot time scan in the home version? I am using version 4.0.229. I entered the path to aswboot.exe in autoexec.bat but that didn't work. At start-up it sayes "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Aswboot.exe, Bad command or file name." ???
I am using Win98SE, all updates, PIII 450MhZ, 256MB Ram.

Offline Michal Zrůbecký

• Avast team
    • avast! software
Re:Boot time scan
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 02:51:21 PM »
Ricky,

this works on NT based systems only (Windows NT, 2000, XP...)
avast! support team

RickyD

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 03:58:04 PM »
Thanks odpad.

Is there any plans of this being available to us poor Win98 users in a future update? Even if it's only in the Pro. version?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 04:04:02 PM »
The boot-time scan uses special API (functions) available in Windows NT/2000/XP only, so it's not possible to add this feature to Win9x.

Theoretically, in Win9x it would be possible to do something similar using a DOS version of the scanner, but I sort of doubt there are plans to port the scanner back to DOS... or am I wrong, Vlk?  ::)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 04:16:35 PM »
Well, port, we do have avast for DOS, right?

http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1035.html

But there are other problems related to this - e.g. how to keep it updated etc. It just kind of doesn't fit the avast 4 product line, and I personally believe that including it to the standard avast 4 distribution is not worth the effort...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Culpeper

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 05:42:28 PM »
Just curious though.  Is it absolutely imperative to have a boot scan? If so should Win9x users look for something to fill the void?

niteman_5150

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2003, 03:03:07 AM »
I am in the same quandry .  The only thing I can figure to do is to scan the boot time and startup folders before shutting down   for the day. This seems less than elegant I know.  It maybe tht  Avist, as good as it is and the great  support,  just wont work for us

Culpeper

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2003, 04:10:25 AM »
I'm not sure a boot time scan is a critical necessity anyway.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2003, 07:16:01 AM »
I'm not sure a boot time scan is a critical necessity anyway.

Absolutely correct. I'd say boot-time scanning is a nice feature to have, but far from critical.

BTW, the boot-time scan of avast under WinNT/2K/XP/2K3 is quite a "hack" and I belive avast is actually the only antivirus program on the market with such a feature!

I think the real value of this featuredemonstrates e.g. when the computer is infected and you're trying to get red of the infection, since the boot-time scan doesn't have any problems with things like locked files, system file protection etc... However, it's just a matter of how comfortable/easy it is -- of course there are ways how to do the achieve the same results without the boot-time scan as well...

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

niteman_5150

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2003, 09:38:26 AM »
What u  say makes sense, culpepper,, and even though in 3 yrs of  scanning the  boot files before launching windows, norton only caught one  corrupted file, I dont believe I have  seen  a puter boot without scanning by  antivirus software. I dont know if this is naive but is there an online scan tht  would work   while in windows

Culpeper

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2003, 06:45:01 PM »
For those that want a boot time scan with Win9.x:

I'm almost positive that the free for home use F-Prot AV for DOS can be used to check memory and boot sectors during boot up using autoexec.bat.  F-Prot definition files are regularly updated but not sure if this applies to checking memory or boot sectors.  Anyone know for sure?

Anyway, the command line prompt to check memory and boot sectors only is:

f-prot c: /collect /nofile /nosub

There are also script files that can be used to update the definition files automatically if needed.

http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/dos/

http://www.geocities.com/uzipaz/eng/f-prot.html
« Last Edit: July 01, 2003, 06:46:57 PM by Culpeper »

niteman_5150

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2003, 09:02:05 PM »
Thx alot for checkin into tht for us culpepper. though not a perfect solution , I am going to check it out and see how smoothly or cumbersome the two scanners  work on this ol hog..  I  dont want to upgrade to xp on this puter unless i upgraded the   128 ram and 7 gig hd syst.
I will investigate F prot website.
tx for the post

Culpeper

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2003, 09:17:51 PM »
There shouldn't be no problem using both scanners.  The F-prot would be initiated during boot up through autoexec.bat.    Since it is a DOS program it would be initiated during boot up only.  No need for it under windows.  That is where Avast 4 takes over.

As far as the command line switches go, eliminating the /nofile switch will result in all files in the root directory scanned as well as the memory and boot sectors.

Also, it seems to me that the AVG AV boot up uses a DOS based program to do the exact same thing.  I would never recommend using AVG though because I am biased.  I especially don't like the email plug in for AVG.  Very cumbersome.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2003, 09:24:11 PM by Culpeper »

RickyD

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2003, 01:06:58 AM »
Thanks Culpeper.
I'm on my way to check out F-prot now.
Will post back later with thoughts. Thanks again and Have A Great Day !!!  :D

RickyD

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2003, 04:42:06 PM »
Ok, I guess I'm going to ask a newbie question.
I've installed F-Prot AV for DOS and the updated definition files. Now, how do I get it to do the boot-time scan?
After reading everything at http://www.geocities.com/uzipaz/eng/f-prot.html, I'm beginning to think it's more trouble than it's worth. :o
One of the reasons I liked Avast was the automatic virus definitions download. Might as well go ahead and SHOOT myself in the foot. HaHa!