Author Topic: Avast keeps turning it's self off  (Read 26416 times)

moonharvey

Avast keeps turning it's self off
« on: May 09, 2010, 10:22:09 AM »
I am having difficulty with the new Avast. I was running the older version and never had any problems with it. I just downloaded the newer version of the free avast today and have already noticed a problem. I look down after and hour or two and my avast has turned it's self off. I turn it back on and after a couple of hours it's off again. I have run a scan and everything is clean. I ran several different kinds and all good. What is the issue? I am running windows vista. I dont really know anything else about the laptop though so If I need to give you other info you will need to tell me where to find it. I was really happy with the older avast but now Im worried I made a mistake by upgrading to this version. Please help
Tanith

Saty

Re: Avast keeps turning it's self off
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:49:47 AM »
hi tanith,

I take it you downloaded avast 5 free over the top of avast 4.8 free? This should have worked.

have you tried a repair of avast5? go to control panel...programs and features(add/remove programs),  and selected avast5, a repair option should appear.

if that doesnt help you may want to try to uninstall avast5, then run the removal tool, then download avast5 free again. Here is the removal tool.

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

if this doesnt help please come back and let us know, im sure others will be more than happy to give you a hand.

Sat

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:52:42 AM »
@ the OP: use the uninstall tool only if you can't uninstall "normally"...otherwise don't bother, as the "normal" uninstaller will clean your system better than the tool ;)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:22:30 AM »
I always use the uninstaller after running the built-in uninstaller.
What seems to cause a lot of the reported uninstall problems is the failure to disable the Avast self-defense module first.
(Program settings>troubleshooting)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 11:34:57 AM »
I always use the uninstaller after running the built-in uninstaller.
What seems to cause a lot of the reported uninstall problems is the failure to disable the Avast self-defense module first.
(Program settings>troubleshooting)

the self-defense module, at least on my system, has never been an issue for uninstalling. It's been one and it's still one problem when running system restore if needed.

Didimlr

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:08:39 PM »
I'm having the EXACT same problem.  I have tried uninstalling and reloading and that didn't fix it either.  I NEVER had the first problem with the older version. 

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
Didimlr, did you try the removal tool, or just the standard uninstall?  You can find the link to the tool earlier in this thread.

Also, even though you are having the same problem as the original poster, it's better to start your own topic so that people don't get confused when they are trying to help.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 08:51:42 PM »
Before you do the uninstall, it would be helpful to check the avast LOG folder (usually in "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data" in case of XP or "C:\programdata" in case of Vista/Win7) whether it contains any files named unp*.*. If it does, we'd be definitely interested in seeing these...

It is possible that there's a 3rd party application installed on your system which is taking the avast process down.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 08:56:39 PM »
Building upon that response from VLK, remember that the folders that he's asking you to look for are hidden by default.  If your computer is hiding them, you'll need to unhide them before you can access them.

Windows XP: (in a Windows Explorer Window) Tools > Folder Options, click View, then check "show hidden files and folders"

Windows Vista / 7: (in a Windows Explorer Window) ah heck... just click here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/394-hidden-files-folders-show-hide.html
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

avast4me25

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 12:02:42 AM »
Mine is doing this also, and I wish it would at least make a sound when it turns off!  Rather distressing to notice the slash through the icon and wonder how long it has been off.  Didn't see this as an option in the sound settings, though.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 12:16:42 AM »
Do you have any of those unpXXXXXX.mdmp files in avast! log folder, as Vlk mentioned a few posts earlier?

avast4me25

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 12:18:37 AM »
I looked at mine, and I do not have any.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 12:24:29 AM »
avast4me25, what operating system do you use?

avast4me25

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 12:26:19 AM »
Windows XP SP3 home

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 12:34:37 AM »
Hmm, pity :(
If it were Vista or later, we might be able to extract the dumps from the Windows Error Reporting applet; I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's not possible on XP.