Author Topic: Avast keeps turning it's self off  (Read 26415 times)

SafeSurf

Re: Avast keeps turning it's self off
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 08:27:35 AM »
@ Igor and Vlk,

I tried this when I had the same problem, which I do not have now, and it did not work.  I have XP as well and know how to check for hidden files.  I also didn't get any Event Errors.

What did work for me on my machine was to do the following to resolve the problem:

-  Disable Avast prior to uninstalling
-  Uninstall the normal way (Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs)
-  Reboot
-  Clean the machine (Ccleaner works well)
-  Reboot in Safe Mode and use the Avast Uninstall Removal Tool, which removed MANY parts of Avast
-  Reboot
-  Reboot into Safe Mode again and check for remnants by Search All Files and Folders > Advanced Hidden Files (remove them only if you know what you're doing since parts can sometimes be left behind)
-  Reboot
-  Clean the machine and check for registry errors (Ccleaner works well)
-  Make sure with an on-demand software that the machine is malware-free
-  Defrag the machine prior to reinstalling Avast again
-  Install latest build of Avast, update definitions, and register product.

I've had no problems since following this procedure :)  I know this may seem tedious, but I had to do this on 2 XP's and so far it worked.

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 03:15:46 PM »
When I had a problem with avast! on my XP Pro system this tip helped a lot:
How to invoke memory dump creation?
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

Not sure if it works on XP Home though.

moonharvey

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 10:46:06 AM »
Thanks for all the help. I have been trying different things when I can. I have repaired the program like the first recommendation and we will see if that works.
To Vlk. I have been unable to display avast logs. I went to another site that told me how to show hidden files in Vista, which is what Im running, but nothing ever came up under Avast other than just the turn on program link. So I have no clue if I have a ump file in the log or not. 

moonharvey

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 11:11:46 AM »
So the repair did not work, now trying the uninstall. Just one problem, I dont feel comfortable with the cleaner software, installing is fine but opening in safe mode, what if I have problems, how do I get out of it,Im really not a computer person and I cant even see the avast log files.  Im going to try for  now just reinstalling it, If I continue having the problem I will try it again using the cleaner/uninstall program. Let ya'll know.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 01:42:17 PM »
moonharvey, it might seem a bit of a mission to run the uninstall tool, but it's really fairly straightforward. But first, when you look for the dump file, rather than looking in the Avast GUI for it, try looking via windows explorer - pretty much the basis of the operating system.
Double click on "my computer", and a window will open, within that window you can navigate through the various folders and sub folders to find the one containing any dumps, if present.
So from the explorer window that opens, you'd then open "documents and settings". Then "all users" (or "users"). Then continue as the path posted by VLK points.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

moonharvey

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 01:11:09 PM »
Well my Avast has shut it's self off twice in the last couple of days, which is better than the every couple of hours it was doing before, (It did stop a Trojan virus earlier tonight so glad it's staying on longer) I looked for the dumps/logs but still cant find them. I looked under windows explorer and no files. Im on vista for laptops so if anyone can walk me through the process step by step that would be great but some of the folders yall are telling me to look in I dont have (Like documents and settings). I will have to remove the newly downloaded Avast with the removal tool but I am really nervous about it since I dont know what I am doing and I cant even find logs and dump folders. I could really use step by step directions from someone using the same operating system. Any help or advice before I do this removal/cleaning tool would be appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline jimflint1

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 02:02:56 AM »
Okay, I'm having this same trouble, and it's after getting rid of a nasty little piece of malware called AV Security Suite. I think I got rid of it, but ever since then, which was this morning, Avast has been being shut off in the midst of my computer usage. If you have any ideas as to how to fix this, please let me know.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 02:38:27 AM »
Avast has been being shut off in the midst of my computer usage
Did you perform an installation from scratch as posted before?
The best things in life are free.

Offline jimflint1

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 06:06:00 AM »
I sure did. And it's still getting shut down for some reason.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 07:13:16 AM »
Hi jimflint1

re: 'nasty little piece of malware'
if you go to this page  and follow directions
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

run FIRST step - Malwarebytes
THEN when you run the second step - OTL - we will get some idea of what is happening in yr system

and if need be essexboy will be able to direct you how to tackle any nasty infection that may have beset yr system
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

cvsa

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 09:55:11 AM »
Try running Malwarebyte : http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
and Hitman pro : http://www.surfright.nl/en

you may be infected  :P

ajjeru

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 05:32:25 PM »
I am using Avast free 5 on my XPSp2 machine for last couple of months. Since last 15 days Avast started turning itself off. I have multiple HDDS with multiple OS. So tested entire PC with AVG Free. Avira & could not detect any virus. Then reformatted partition & installed XPSP2 fresh and installed Avast even before installing motherboard drivers.  Again Avast starte turning off. Checked system with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Hitman, IOBit Security 360 & OTL. All the 3said system is free. Can you please help

( Tried to attach unp200273941.tmp.mdmp file. Forum is not accepting the file)

ibell63

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 12:19:23 AM »
I am using Avast free 5 on my XPSp2 machine for last couple of months. Since last 15 days Avast started turning itself off. I have multiple HDDS with multiple OS. So tested entire PC with AVG Free. Avira & could not detect any virus. Then reformatted partition & installed XPSP2 fresh and installed Avast even before installing motherboard drivers.  Again Avast starte turning off. Checked system with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Hitman, IOBit Security 360 & OTL. All the 3said system is free. Can you please help

( Tried to attach unp200273941.tmp.mdmp file. Forum is not accepting the file)

You might also want to check the system with spybot search and destroy ( http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html )
and superantispyware ( http://www.superantispyware.com/ ), the portable version is great.

SafeSurf

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 07:34:50 AM »
@ ajjeru,

(Tried to attach unp200273941.tmp.mdmp file. Forum is not accepting the file)
You do not send the mini-dump file to the forum.  Please read here and where to send it:

Here is additional information on how to invoke a memory dump file:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71.

Remember to re-name it uniquely.  Thank you.