Author Topic: Firewall in the internet suite questions  (Read 3461 times)

beck

Firewall in the internet suite questions
« on: July 03, 2010, 05:00:03 AM »
I've been trying out firewalls and each one has something that makes it not what I want.  Online Armour made me nuts with a pop up ever 2.5 seconds.  Comodo worked, but the way the company has gone, I'm just not going to use it anymore.  Privatefirewall would block ctl from ATI, but when it blocked it, well, the screen would be black so....

I've used Avast for years (2.x ?), sometimes paid, sometimes not as the money flows.  Anyway, looking at the suite, I just don't want to install it and have to uninstall it if it's not what I might want.  There are not pics of it and settings on it.

Can you simply set a rule to block all ICMP echo requests?  Or block all the requests for "who has xxxxxxxxxxxx tell xxxxxxxx"?  And to setup rules and look at rules?

The firewall I liked best was sygate.  Simple to find out what is going on and simple to set rules.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Firewall in the internet suite questions
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 03:36:16 PM »
Comodo worked, but the way the company has gone, I'm just not going to use it anymore.
What happened?

Can you simply set a rule to block all ICMP echo requests?  Or block all the requests for "who has xxxxxxxxxxxx tell xxxxxxxx"?  And to setup rules and look at rules?
Firewall settings > Expert Settings > Policies > Packet rules
The best things in life are free.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 06:44:56 PM »
Comodo worked, but the way the company has gone, I'm just not going to use it anymore.
What happened?

+1
Where's the problem..??
asyn

W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

beck

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 08:02:04 PM »
Comodo messed up on an update and had to reinstall XP on that system.  Sometimes it just stops working and blocks all traffic.  Now it seems you have to use the suite and pick only to install the firewall.  The information they are keeping is not something I like.  I understand they have to make money.  I'm willing to pay for a firewall I like.  I have several times. 

Is Avast's firewall Comodo in disguise???

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 08:09:35 PM »
1. Comodo messed up on an update and had to reinstall XP on that system.  Sometimes it just stops working and blocks all traffic.  Now it seems you have to use the suite and pick only to install the firewall.  The information they are keeping is not something I like.  I understand they have to make money.  I'm willing to pay for a firewall I like.  I have several times. 

2. Is Avast's firewall Comodo in disguise???

1. I see. But still it is free software..!
2. No. But as it seems you use AIS, you won't need another FW at all...!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Mongol

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 12:04:48 AM »
As for Online Armor's firewall, if you put it in learning mode and spend a little time running every program on your computer you should hardly ever see a pop up. After a few hours switch off learning mode then you are good to go. So easy even a Mongol can do it... :)