Author Topic: avast won't run with Win XP Pro SP3  (Read 33358 times)

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
Re: avast won't run with Win XP Pro SP3
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 04:26:41 AM »
Hello,

I too had the same "avast service not starting" problem. But just installed(then) v5 over v4 and it worked flawlessly and is still working...

So let us know Yanto.

nmb

Hi Nmb,

Your advice has been working in my machine, i just wondering why this could happened with OS WIN XP PRO 2002 SP3?
Because i also being testing with my cousins notebook which is he also using WIN XP PRO SP2, and avast can run smoothly without any issues in there.

Hi guys,

I am so suprise that everyone give respon in this thread, well this should be consider by ALWIL team for OS with WIN XP since most company in Indonesia still using WIN XP because they have some agreement with Microsoft Indonesia or they are more familiar with WIN XP than WIN 7.

I am just affraid if this happened with user who want to use AIS, how to solved it?
Whether user need to install avast Professional edition 4.8 first, and then we replace directly with avast 5.0?
It won't be a good solution for user.

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Dch48

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 06:10:21 AM »
I've never had a serious problem with any version of Avast! I have ever tried. They have all run flawlessly on XP SP3. The only "problem" I had was having to select the option to delay the loading of Avast! services in order to get the tray icon to appear. I don't have that option selected now with the latest version and everything is fine.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 07:12:19 AM »
Hi Yanto

I don't think Indonesia is a special case in regard to XP being much more widely used than 7 (or Vista). I've dealt with a few glitches (mainly slow loading of tray icons and sandbox instability) since I started installing AIS 5 on XP SP3 machines in our office in January so I too was reluctant until version 5.0.507, to upgrade "everyone" from 4.8 just for the sake of it and thankfully, since then I have not had any problems with other people's PCs, and not seen a problem with the free version. I've now changed all XP and Vista machines I know of from 4.8 to 5.0 and everyone is happy.
Having said that, my own main home-use XP SP3 PC is still occasionally slow to start but I put that down to negative interaction between avast! service the large number of TSR/tray icons "required" by other family members, e.g. I think the ITunes sych manager is looking for an 'iwhatever' for some time.
Hope this helps you decide the best option for your users.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:31:22 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

neutronix

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 06:46:10 PM »
Avast 5.0 Free edition can't be installed on my Windows XP SP3 PC.

I had no installation problem before (with avast 4.8).

To install v. 5.0,I first uninstalled v. 4.8 then run Avast Cleaner and after restarting to complete uninstallation process;    I executed Avast 5.0 Setup but no GUI window for Installer appears though i can see "avast.setup" process in Task Manager.

i tried running the installer again, but the only thing occurs is duplicated "avast.setup" processes.

and so i can't even see Avast Installer window to proceed in installation process.

(the same problem occurred once when installing Avast 4.8,but at Second execution of Avast Installer, the GUI window appeared and i was able to Install it)

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Hello Yanto,

Good that its working fine. Just check with eicar whether avast is working fine.

hello neutronix,

Just do this and see if it works:

1. Download full setup files of version 4 & 5.
2. Remove avast 5 and clean up using the aswclear.
3. Install version 4, restart.
4. Over v4, install v5 and see.

This has worked on many systems I have tried.

nmb

neutronix

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 11:45:13 PM »
Hi nmb,

thanx for your reply;

I have currently installed Avast v. 4.8 on my PC & the main cause making me upgrade to v. 5.0 is frequent Avast Web Shield errors when connected to internet, and browser "Connection Reset" problems while browsing ; and the only solution was to completely Stop On-Access Protection (not only web shield).

I'm not sure but i suppose that i tried installing v. 5.0 on currently installed v. 4.8 before.

anyway,I'll try it again & i hope it solves the problem.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 12:03:23 AM »
neutronix,
Do you use a third party firewall?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

neutronix

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 12:43:34 AM »
no I the only firewall is Windows XP Firewall.

I also should mention that I just tried to install v. 5.0 over v. 4.8 using Avast's Add/Remove programs entry, but in "avast! Antivirus Setup" dialog box (containing Change ,Uninstall ,Update ,Repair options) when i select Update ,by clicking "Check for updates" i can only see 4.8.1398 under "Latest version available" and when clicking Next,nothing occurs(v. 5.0 isn't installed)

I did used the same action by right-clicking avast tray icon and selecting "Updating->Program Update" but it's the same as before.

That is, avast 5.0 can't be installed in both cases when trying to execute a fresh Installation or trying to install over v. 4.8.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 03:13:13 AM »
neutronix, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Jon_T

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 11:43:04 PM »
wondering how long it's gonna take until Avast acknowledges that V5 isn't fully compatible with Windows XP (SP2/3). ....
Wonder if not due to certain system configurations and/or XP OEM versions shipped with some PCs.

Have two Dell desktop systems and Toshiba laptop all with Win XP SP3 and avast 5 (per sig) and have not had any issues/problems.  :)

Quite a few businesses still using XP due to various company/corporate software compatibility problems/issues Vista, and some still with Windows 7.  That's in addition to costs to upgrade multiple systems for employees.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 11:45:01 PM by Jon_T »

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 05:57:13 AM »
Hi Yanto

I don't think Indonesia is a special case in regard to XP being much more widely used than 7 (or Vista). I've dealt with a few glitches (mainly slow loading of tray icons and sandbox instability) since I started installing AIS 5 on XP SP3 machines in our office in January so I too was reluctant until version 5.0.507, to upgrade "everyone" from 4.8 just for the sake of it and thankfully, since then I have not had any problems with other people's PCs, and not seen a problem with the free version. I've now changed all XP and Vista machines I know of from 4.8 to 5.0 and everyone is happy.
Having said that, my own main home-use XP SP3 PC is still occasionally slow to start but I put that down to negative interaction between avast! service the large number of TSR/tray icons "required" by other family members, e.g. I think the ITunes sych manager is looking for an 'iwhatever' for some time.
Hope this helps you decide the best option for your users.

Hi Vladimyr,

Thanks for your sharing and advice,

Anyway, i didn't blame avast or anybody to caused this issues but i just wondering how if our corporate customer if let e.g they purchase for AIS then facing with the same issues like me.
And i would like to know what is the main problem of this issues, since sometime we should professionally to explain the main causes of this issue.
I believe this won't be happened with the good machine as well, which always take of care by customer administrator. We don't have any issue regarding to avast! with XP SP2/3 like me.

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 06:01:40 AM »
Hello Yanto,

Good that its working fine. Just check with eicar whether avast is working fine.

hello neutronix,

Just do this and see if it works:

1. Download full setup files of version 4 & 5.
2. Remove avast 5 and clean up using the aswclear.
3. Install version 4, restart.
4. Over v4, install v5 and see.

This has worked on many systems I have tried.

nmb

Hi NMB,

Thanks again for your kindly advice, do you know what is the caused of this problem?

cheers,

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2010, 01:42:38 PM »
Hi yanto,

I dont know what is the real problem with the installer or the service. It works fine when installed over v4 but will not work properly win installed from scratch.

Thx
nmb

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 05:36:24 PM »
Nothing wrong with my XP Pro SP3 system and avast5 either.

Lets not loose sight of the fact that this is a support forum and the greatest majority of XP users that don't have a problem don't come here to say so.

I've run avast since initial install over a year ago on 2 computers>>> WindowsXP Home Edition SP3 and WindowsXP Professional 2004 SP3....applied all following updates...Never have had one issue  ;D...now running v 5.545!!
Maybe a Poll is needed ???
I'm just saying 8)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 05:38:09 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 07:05:10 PM »
Not another poll, which will achieve very little as this is a support forum. Who is even going to see it, those on the forums (who may be here because they do have a problem) not those who don't have a problem and as such haven't visited the forum.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security