Author Topic: avast won't run with Win XP Pro SP3  (Read 33355 times)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: avast won't run with Win XP Pro SP3
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 07:21:09 PM »
Not another poll, which will achieve very little as this is a support forum

Exactly...sorry, my bent sense of humour :-\
I will say however, I have seen in other forums...a solicited input requested via email...on more seriuos issues I admit 8)

YoKenny

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 07:37:31 PM »
@ schmidthouse

Your signature Think like you care....Live like you mean it! does not provide any system information like DavidR avast! Überevangelist's signature.

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:39:41 PM by YoKenny »

Cyberlightning

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2010, 05:02:10 AM »
Okay here is some info. Avast is no longer compatible with Windows XP. I will confirm this with years of tech experience behind me. I have the same complaints from many of my customers and associates who switched to Avast under my advice. I am now having to give them other security suites, depending on contracts. What's worse is since the program upgrade to 5.0.545, my Win 7 and Vista customers have started calling me to. So far, 127 failed systems, including 2 of my own systems that were running Avast (One free and one suite). It's true many free users will quietly switch AV without posting in the forums. Can you blame them? They have a need for a reliable antivirus program to keep their system secure during work, entertainment, or whatever reason they wish. If Avast can no longer deliver, then why shouldn't they switch? I realize this is a very serious bug but even I am switching to a different AV since Avast cannot deliver. If they value their customers, Avast will fix this problem ASAP! Look what happened with McAfee! Recent updates rendered thousands and thousands of systems useless due to operating system failures. Of course we know McAfee is one of the very few companies that actually has parts of the super-secret Microsoft code with direct write access to the kernel, which is the whole problem with McAfee. The same problem with 5.0.545 is posted all over this forum and it's a very big, very serious issue. For those of you who suffered no failures, I say "Good for you!" Because I have first hand working knowledge of this problem, I will advise when I have more information available. I will devote on of my systems as an "Avast post-mortem test system to try to assist in finding a solution.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2010, 03:07:48 PM »
OK, here is some more info: with years of anecdotal experience behind me and lots of time spent on these forums, if avast is no longer compatible with XP, which still has between 50-60% market share (depending on what stats you look at). Then these forums would be lit up like a Christmas tree.

Yes there are some posts on these support forums (and those you speak of) of people with XP (and I'm one of them, but without a problem) and avast 5 experiencing problems, this is far from every XP and avast user as many other posts in these forums attest. However, those with a problem are likely to be more than those reporting no problems as this is a support forum and those not having a problem aren't so motivated to register and say so.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

doktornotor

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »
Really, folks... let's employ a little bit of logic here? What's gonna have longer average time passed since last install - XP, Vista or W7?

There are tons of users with years-old XP installs pretty much messed up beyond repair. During those years w/ the XP install, they've installed 3 SPs, tons of hotfixes, changed/upgraded/uninstalled AVs/firewalls many and many times, tested tons of mostly junky software, have had infections that still have leftovers there. OTOH, those W7 installs out there are just a couple of months old.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2010, 05:43:47 PM »
@ schmidthouse

Your signature Think like you care....Live like you mean it! does not provide any system information like DavidR avast! Überevangelist's signature.

No Problem with my XP'S as mentioned ...here is my OS Profile...for what it's worth.....Both always fully updated

Home Office PC
Windows XP Home 2002 SP3
996MHz, 512mg Ram, 38GB HD
Comodo FW v2.4.19.185 /  Avast AV v5.0.545 / Ghost Security(Reg Def) v1.010 / DCS Process Guard v3
Comodo VE v2.7.0.37
No successful hacker, trojan or virus in over 5yrs!! ;D

Buisness Lap Top
Windows XP Professional 2002 SP3
Intel Pentium 4, 2.80GHz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD
Comodo FW v2.4.19.185 / Avast AV v5.0.545 / Ghost Security(Reg Def) v1.010 / DCS Process Guard v3
Comodo VE v2.7.0.37
No successful hacker, trojan or virus in over 5yrs!!  ;D

As can be seen, these are not new sytems!!!  Continually Updated, Patched, Installed, Reinstalled. New software tried, Uninstalled, cleaned up; YET no problem with Avast here. :-\

Lucky...maybe ???  Compatible AV software....more then likely 8)

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2010, 05:47:45 PM »
@ schmidthouse

No Problem with my XP'S as mentioned ...here is my OS Profile...for what it's worth.....Both always fully updated

Home Office PC
Windows XP Home 2002 SP3
996MHz, 512mg Ram, 38GB HD
Comodo FW v2.4.19.185 /  Avast AV v5.0.545 / Ghost Security(Reg Def) v1.010 / DCS Process Guard v3
Comodo VE v2.7.0.37
No successful hacker, trojan or virus in over 5yrs!! ;D

Buisness Lap Top
Windows XP Professional 2002 SP3
Intel Pentium 4, 2.80GHz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD
Comodo FW v2.4.19.185 / Avast AV v5.0.545 / Ghost Security(Reg Def) v1.010 / DCS Process Guard v3
Comodo VE v2.7.0.37
No successful hacker, trojan or virus in over 5yrs!!  ;D

As can be seen, these are not new sytems!!!  Continually Updated, Patched, Installed, Reinstalled. New software tried, Uninstalled, cleaned up; YET no problem with Avast here. :-\

Lucky...maybe ???  Compatible AV software....more then likely 8)
Hm..here also with Samsung laptop
2.20 GHz Pentium 4 Processor M
Ram only 512 mb can't stand it anymore...

Using avast free edition
Private Firewall
40GB HD as hard disk forget about that using hard disk portable =_="

PapaSmurf

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2010, 06:56:16 PM »
Antivirus: !avast Free Home Edition 5.0545
Firewall: Outpost Firewall 2009 ver. 6.5.1

Well, there are the basics...
Yes, my machine runs just fine.
However, I am NOT running all of the shields in !avast.
What I am NOT running:
Mail Shield I do not download ANY mail to my machine. I do not use outlook or any other.
P2P Shield Again, I do not participate in this kind of activity. Even Win messenger service is off on my machine.
IM Shield Same as above. I do not peer to peer, nor do I instant message anything.

Now I realize that others are rolling their eyes with questions like, "You do not use outlook? But I use outlook for business...". Google mail can do the same thing..including schedule events. Why use your machine when you can use someone elses server for free?
"You do not connect P2P? But I need to do that to transfere files, play games, ect. I need that service to protect me..." Bull....If you are connecting that way, you have already opened up a BIG freakin door into your system. If you do that, really, how worried ARE you about intrusions?
"I need my IM client. I need to be able to send instant 'grams to people I know, work with, ect."
Really? Here is a little info for you...there are things called CELL PHONES. Try one. You will get the same instant gratification and you can carry the little bugger in your pocket.

In closing, the only thing I have in the way of concern for !avast is that it NOT become a bloated cow.
I caution the devs' to be careful. Do not destroy what is a great antivirus program by trying to turn it into an all in one kitchen sink special.
Just my 2 cents, and I stand by it.

Dch48

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »

"You do not connect P2P? But I need to do that to transfer files, play games, etc. I need that service to protect me..." Bull....If you are connecting that way, you have already opened up a BIG freakin door into your system. If you do that, really, how worried ARE you about intrusions?
"I need my IM client. I need to be able to send instant 'grams to people I know, work with, etc."
Really? Here is a little info for you...there are things called CELL PHONES. Try one. You will get the same instant gratification and you can carry the little bugger in your pocket.

These are totally wrong. The most popular game on the planet, World of Warcraft, uses the bittorrent P2P technology through a built in client to deliver it's updates and patches. Other things employ the same technology for downloads of their programs so a bittorrent client is needed sometimes and does not automatically pose a security risk. The programs themselves are perfectly safe, you just have to check some of the things that you can download through them.  Also, there is a big difference between IM programs and a cell phone. The biggest difference is the cost. IM's are free, cell phones are expensive. I am actually one of the few remaining people who have never even used a cell phone let alone own one. So, since I have made the decision to no longer employ any kind of HIPS protection, I like having an AV that specifically can check these kinds of applications.

Dch48

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2010, 07:29:23 PM »
OK, here is some more info: with years of anecdotal experience behind me and lots of time spent on these forums, if avast is no longer compatible with XP, which still has between 50-60% market share (depending on what stats you look at). Then these forums would be lit up like a Christmas tree.

Yes there are some posts on these support forums (and those you speak of) of people with XP (and I'm one of them, but without a problem) and avast 5 experiencing problems, this is far from every XP and avast user as many other posts in these forums attest. However, those with a problem are likely to be more than those reporting no problems as this is a support forum and those not having a problem aren't so motivated to register and say so.
I absolutely agree, I have no problems with Avast! free on XP. There is absolutely no evidence to support a blanket statement like "Avast! is no longer compatible with XP".

PapaSmurf

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2010, 07:35:54 PM »

"You do not connect P2P? But I need to do that to transfer files, play games, etc. I need that service to protect me..." Bull....If you are connecting that way, you have already opened up a BIG freakin door into your system. If you do that, really, how worried ARE you about intrusions?
"I need my IM client. I need to be able to send instant 'grams to people I know, work with, etc."

These are totally wrong. The most popular game on the planet, World of Warcraft, uses the bittorrent P2P technology through a built in client to deliver it's updates and patches. Other things employ the same technology for downloads of their programs so a bittorrent client is needed sometimes and does not automatically pose a security risk. The programs themselves are perfectly safe, you just have to check some of the things that you can download through them.  Also, there is a big difference between IM programs and a cell phone. The biggest difference is the cost. IM's are free, cell phones are expensive. I am actually one of the few remaining people who have never even used a cell phone let alone own one. So, since I have made the decision to no longer employ any kind of HIPS protection, I like having an AV that specifically can check these kinds of applications.

Well, here we are then. The more plumbing you stick under the sink, the easier it is to clog it.
Cell phones are cheap. Computer equipment and repair is not. Your response is not based on logic, but based more on your wish to use the system in such a way as to open it up to intrusion. I do not care how "secure" wwc is, I do not play it. Nor do I connect to any other game that way. I prefer a game I can play myself. No intrusions. But that is just me.
The trouble I have is, users like yourself drive software companies to go bigger and more when the software they had worked just fine.
All I need is an antivirus program. Not an all in one sinkfull of disaster waiting to happen.
Why is it that as a user, I am forced to deal with all the garbage that other users who chose risky behavior create?
Again to the !avast devs: Please do not become a bloated cow.

Dch48

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2010, 07:41:36 PM »

These are totally wrong. The most popular game on the planet, World of Warcraft, uses the bittorrent P2P technology through a built in client to deliver it's updates and patches. Other things employ the same technology for downloads of their programs so a bittorrent client is needed sometimes and does not automatically pose a security risk. The programs themselves are perfectly safe, you just have to check some of the things that you can download through them.  Also, there is a big difference between IM programs and a cell phone. The biggest difference is the cost. IM's are free, cell phones are expensive. I am actually one of the few remaining people who have never even used a cell phone let alone own one. So, since I have made the decision to no longer employ any kind of HIPS protection, I like having an AV that specifically can check these kinds of applications.

Well, here we are then. The more plumbing you stick under the sink, the easier it is to clog it.
Cell phones are cheap. Computer equipment and repair is not. Your response is not based on logic, but based more on your wish to use the system in such a way as to open it up to intrusion. I do not care how "secure" wwc is, I do not play it. Nor do I connect to any other game that way. I prefer a game I can play myself. No intrusions. But that is just me.
The trouble I have is, users like yourself drive software companies to go bigger and more when the software they had worked just fine.
All I need is an antivirus program. Not an all in one sinkfull of disaster waiting to happen.
Why is it that as a user, I am forced to deal with all the garbage that other users who chose risky behavior create?
Life is full of risks, that's why there are such things as car insurance. Also, there is nothing wrong with Norton, it has no more impact on the system than Avast! does. I would still be using NIS if I was willing to pay the $50 a year. Users like me encourage the expansion of the internet and accessability of knowledge and entertainment. We don't sit cowering behind doors afraid to open them.

The Internet is still developing and new methods of using it are still evolving. It is the responsibility of security vendors to keep up with this and provide protection for all possible avenues of attack.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:45:40 PM by Dch48 »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2010, 07:55:01 PM »

[/quote] from Dch48
Users like me encourage the expansion of the internet and accessability of knowledge and entertainment. We don't sit cowering behind doors afraid to open them.[quote/]

Well there you have it. Up-down, Right-wrong, Black-White, Left-Right, and everything in between!
Mmm. 8)

YoKenny

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2010, 08:43:44 PM »
@ schmidthouse

As a user of Comodo FW and Windows XP Home 2002 SP3 you are about as advanced as the Ford Model-T was when it came out.

Your signature proves it.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
@ schmidthouse

As a user of Comodo FW and Windows XP Home 2002 SP3 you are about as advanced as the Ford Model-T was when it came out.

Your signature proves it.

whatever