Author Topic: avast won't run with Win XP Pro SP3  (Read 33353 times)

PapaSmurf

Re: avast won't run with Win XP Pro SP3
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 05:37:03 AM »

Life is full of risks, that's why there are such things as car insurance. Also, there is nothing wrong with Norton, it has no more impact on the system than Avast! does. I would still be using NIS if I was willing to pay the $50 a year. Users like me encourage the expansion of the internet and accessability of knowledge and entertainment. We don't sit cowering behind doors afraid to open them.

The Internet is still developing and new methods of using it are still evolving. It is the responsibility of security vendors to keep up with this and provide protection for all possible avenues of attack.
Well, you call it progress. The only progress I have seen lately is a steady progression to bloated cow syndrome fueled by a general population driven by the latest "fad" rather than fact. The internet IS developed. Has been for awhile now. New methods for using it or abusing it? Cowering behind doors?
HOW DARE YOU. If it were not for people like me who DROVE the new thing called computing, you would just now be discovering atari.
It is the responsibility of ANY vendor to satisfy their customers. Happy customers create MORE customers.
As far as responsibility is concerned, the FIRST line of responsibility sits squarely on the shoulders of the USER. An ill-informed user is just as dangerous as the script kiddies creating new ways to shut you down.
In other words, if you would not persist in dangerous behavior, the general level of danger would decrease
substantially from what it is now.
This is of course just my opinion, seems the rest of the world just likes jumping off that cliff.  ::) ::) ::)

P.S. My original post was meant to add info to the problem at hand. As I am not experiencing any trouble, perhaps something in one of the modules that I do not use may be the culprit.
Geesh, I need a drink now.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Dch48

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2010, 06:58:28 PM »
This is of course just my opinion, seems the rest of the world just likes jumping off that cliff.  ::) ::) ::)

No. it's more that many people enjoy the full internet experience. They want to see everything it has to offer. It's like getting cable TV and not relying on an antenna any more. If you don't want to use any of those things fine, but belittling people who do and saying that they are the cause of all the problems with Internet security is just arrogant and wrong. The lowlifes who produce the malware are the problem, not innocent users trying to download things, play games for entertainment, and communicate with family and friends. The chances of getting infected are actually very small anyway. Most people only encounter an attempt and get an alert from their security apps of choice a handful of times in a decade (and actually get infected far less than that). Most of what I read in security forums and the things they say you "have" to do are paranoid propaganda. Even these days, a firewall that monitors all connection attempts coupled with a good AV program like Avast! will protect the home user 99.95% of the time and that's all you need. If you don't employ a HIPS based security (and most people can't take the hassles that produces), your AV has to be able to protect against all known attack vectors and that's why Avast! has all the different modules.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2010, 08:46:10 PM »

but belittling people who do and saying that they are the cause of all the problems with Internet security is just arrogant and wrong. The lowlifes who produce the malware are the problem, not innocent users trying to download things, play games for entertainment, and communicate with family and friends.
No, not arrogant, fact. The net was suppose to turn into a tool of education, development. Sort of an instant access to knowledge and current events. And yes, entertainment too. Notice how entertainment was LAST on that list? I am not trying to belittle anyone. I am suggesting that people start relying on common sense. How many people have a back up image of their system as it is now? How many users even know how to recover their image? How many users actually admit that it was their surfing preferences that got them into trouble? This has nothing to do with arrogance, it is simple truth we are dealing with.

Even these days, a firewall that monitors all connection attempts coupled with a good AV program like Avast! will protect the home user 99.95% of the time and that's all you need. If you don't employ a HIPS based security (and most people can't take the hassles that produces), your AV has to be able to protect against all known attack vectors and that's why Avast! has all the different modules.

I agree. That is why I prefer a good av program, and a good firewall. I think the two should be separate, not together.

YoKenny

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2010, 09:01:13 PM »
@ PapaSmurf

Anyone running:
HP 5215 Laptop, 2GB RAM, AMD Turion ML-34 1.8 ghz single core processor
XP Pro SP3, IE8 & Outlook Express, Avast! 5 Free, Comodo 3.14 Firewall with D+ disabled

Emachines desktop, 2GB RAM, Intel Celeron 420 1.6 ghz single core processor
Vista Home Basic SP2, IE8, MSE and Vista Firewall

Is already behind the 8 ball. ;)

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2010, 09:49:54 PM »

No. it's more that many people enjoy the full internet experience. They want to see everything it has to offer.

Sounds like my neighbor.  He constantly ignores the warnings of his security programs so he can 'see eveything'.  I've disinfected his machine numerous times.  The last time I didn't bother.  He bought a new machine with Vista 64 bit with a free upgrade to Windows 7.  When it was available, I upgraded it for him and set up user accounts.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping that he's surfing with a limited account as I asked.  So far, no calls about this or that not acting right.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

PapaSmurf

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2010, 01:03:24 AM »
@YoKenny

ROFL....OK, that is better than me..I stand corrected. I would not be able to keep track of all that lololol
 :D :D :D :D :D

@Gopher John

I too am in the position of having to "clean" a friends system all the time. It seems that curiosity
really does kill the cat. I have set up a firewall and AV program on his system...but everytime they try to
protect him...he allows the action or disables the protection...
I should have hidden the darn things and just set him up as a user. You live and you learn  8) 8)

Dch48

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2010, 05:56:46 AM »
@ PapaSmurf

Anyone running:
HP 5215 Laptop, 2GB RAM, AMD Turion ML-34 1.8 ghz single core processor
XP Pro SP3, IE8 & Outlook Express, Avast! 5 Free, Comodo 3.14 Firewall with D+ disabled

Emachines desktop, 2GB RAM, Intel Celeron 420 1.6 ghz single core processor
Vista Home Basic SP2, IE8, MSE and Vista Firewall

Is already behind the 8 ball. ;)
No I have sunk the 8 ball and won the game since I have NEVER been infected or hacked in 11 years of extensive internet usage. Using all the supposedly bad things like instant messaging, chat rooms, bittorent, and online games. I don't even bother to block ads, sometimes they're more interesting than what's on the page, and the last time I did try to block them (about 2 years ago) it actually slowed my browsing down. I have tried every version of every alternative browser out there and none lasted more than a hour on my machine since none were any faster than IE and none were as user friendly. When you read all the reports, none are inherently any more secure either.

The hardware I currently have is all I can afford and it suits my purposes so far. I'd like to have better but such is life. The desktop is not mine, it's my ladyfriend's machine that I do the upkeep on. She has only gotten one rogue that if she would have responded to the alert from MSE correctly, she wouldn't have gotten infected by. It was easily and completely removed by Malwarebytes. Her machine is actually more computer than what she needs for what she does with it. I would put the same setup I have on her computer but she would not like having to deal with even connection request alerts or an AV more complicated than MSE. I could set up Avast! for her but so far I can't talk her into it. She gets frustrated enough by Vista's UAC alerts.

(The quoted comment btw could also be classed as arrogant.)

Back to the topic of the thread, I don't think there is any evidence of Avast! being incompatible with XP but from my experiences lately from using it with just about all of the available free Firewalls, I do think Avast! 5 has compatibility problems with HIPS based apps. The only one it seems completely okay with is Comodo. I had lockups on the first access of various applications with PC Tools, Outpost, and Online Armor when both Avast! and the HIPS portions of those programs were enabled.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 06:20:17 AM by Dch48 »

PapaSmurf

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2010, 08:53:11 AM »
For the record...
I built my system..myself..from SCRAP MATERIAL.
There are plenty of better systems than mine.
I do not have hundreds of dollars to spend either.
I too have never allowed myself to be infected even though
my usage at times was questionable. I was responsible enough
to be informed and to protect myself.
I researched and taught myself the basics, and as time went on
grew more knowledgeable. I did not rely on quik clik options to
pull my butt out of the flames.
In short, I am responsible for my usage. I take great care to make certain the
script kiddies have NOTHING to do when it comes to my system.
The title of this thread is..: avast won't run with Win XP Pro SP3
YES IT WILL AND DOES.
Like any other new version, there is a certain amount of break in time. Hence the little version updates, or patches if you prefer. If there is a firewall conflict, that is a concern. But there has to be proof
that the conflict is an !avast problem and not a setting issue with the firewall.
I set the new version up cold, meaning that I did a complete uninstall/removal/reinstall.
I have not had any issue that prevented me from surfing the web.
However, I will admit that I do not use all the modules either. Refer to an earlier post this thread.

neutronix

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2010, 11:47:12 AM »
Hi,
I posted a thread about a month ago,of Avast 5 Setup problem;
But have not found any useful solution for it since then.

I did everything which may solve it,including, using uninstall utility to completely uninstall current Avast 4.8 and then running avast 5.0 installer (the newest version), running avast 5.0 installer on when 4.8.

This is a full description of problem:
After i run avast 5.0.594 installer,after extraction of all files,i wait,but no GUI window appears.
when i have a look at Task Manager's process list,i can see "avast.setup" process running.

I found that avast setup extracts its needed files into Temp folder of windows,with a name like _av_sfx.tm~a03520,then i saw there 55 files,such as ais_dll_eng-1cf.vpx (language file),ais_core-1e4.vpx,chrome-2.vpx,servers.def,avast.setup (which is an executable without  a .exe extension).
I should say that running avast setup another time,only duplicates that folder and avast.setup process.
Now, is there any way (something like a log file) or any other way to help troubleshoot this problem?

I think i'm the only one experiencing this kind of problem >:(  ???

SafeSurf

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2010, 12:21:32 PM »
Hi Neutronix,

I see that you have had this problem for a while and it is unresolved.  Questions:

Where did you get the file to download Avast?

What other security software do you have on your system?  What did you have in the past on your system?

Have you scanned your system with an on-demand scanner like free MBAM http://www.malwarebytes.org/?  If not, do a Full Scan and if anything comes back positive, report the results back here.

I know you have uninstalled and installed in the past, but I want you to do it again, but I'm giving you the link to download the file.  This way you will have a CLEAN install.

Please follow these instructions:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.594) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Pro  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
AIS  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs". 
5. Boot into Safe Mode and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot twice.
7. Clean your computer up (clean up cache, etc.).
8. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot twice.
9. Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
10. Register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro or AIS.
11. Reset your settings, if needed.
12. Run a scan (try a Full System Scan initially to check for malware).

Please post your results.  Thank you.

bobo1

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2010, 12:27:08 PM »
I bet it is a rootkit on his or hers machine or MBR VIRUS that could stop avast from working. Mine is working fine on my machine however how old it is an antique (IBM 600E) Best thing is del partition/ recreate new partition & reformat and try again!::)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 12:30:53 PM by bobo1 »

SafeSurf

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2010, 11:13:36 PM »
12. Run a scan (try a Full System Scan initially to check for malware).

That is why I asked for him to run a Full Scan. 

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2010, 11:43:05 PM »
Edited...
asyn
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 12:09:18 AM by Asyn »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SafeSurf

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2010, 11:46:15 PM »
He actually was in this thread originally but others seemed to stray from his topic and never resolved his problem.  In looking at his posts, he then tried to get help elsewhere and the problem never got resolved.  Personally, I think he needs to follow the instructions given, but my gut is telling me he may be infected.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2010, 12:08:25 AM »
He actually was in this thread originally but others seemed to stray from his topic and never resolved his problem.  In looking at his posts, he then tried to get help elsewhere and the problem never got resolved.  Personally, I think he needs to follow the instructions given, but my gut is telling me he may be infected.

You're right (I did review the topic). He posted here before. Sorry, Neutronix.
Hope he follows your advice and can solve his problem. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0