Author Topic: New Version is Horrible, I’m dumping it.  (Read 11274 times)

thacap

New Version is Horrible, I’m dumping it.
« on: May 10, 2010, 11:44:59 PM »
This New Version is Horrible, I’m dumping it.
I liked Avast for it’s simplicity and function. This new version 5 is as bad as a Trojan itself. I have sent many hundreds of people and businesses to Avast over the years, now time to move them to someone else.

Offer a simpler “classic” version. This ver 5 avast now falls into the category of all the other bloated troublesome virus programs.

Hermite15

Re: New Version is Horrible, I’m dumping it.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 11:49:19 PM »
I liked Avast for it’s simplicity and function. This new version 5 is as bad as a Trojan itself. I have sent many hundreds of people and businesses to Avast over the years, now time to move them to someone else.

Offer a simpler “classic” version. This ver 5 avast now falls into the category of all the other bloated troublesome virus programs.

oh yeah? ::) what did you come to post here for then ??? do you seriously expect Avast to offer a "simpler" version just because you're comparing the current one to a "virus program"? do you expect them to change everything just because you asked? would you describe your post as an interesting or positive contribution? you've come here to help? thanks ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:53:14 PM by Logos »

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 12:00:17 AM »

...and you will really call these 100's of people/businesses? And convince them to switch? And succeed at this?  Your recommendations must carry serious weight! :D

Dch48

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 12:32:18 AM »
I see very little difference in Avast!5 from 4.8 except for the greatly improved gui. It has no noticeable effect on performance in the same way that 4.8 didn't either. What exactly is so horrible?

thacap

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 01:36:54 AM »
"What exactly is so horrible? "

Without me adding to the list,
Just scan these forums for the multiple problems and complaints people are stating.
Too many complaints to waste the time listing. Many companies find their demise with stunts like this.

Some of us like simple things, not a gaudy troublesome bloated "stuff" like this. I have already received many calls from users with problems that we directed to Avast. It also makes me look bad when we recommend a program that goes south.

If Avast “dumps” a troublesome program like this on their customers without warning, I doubt Avast is smart enough to see their mistakes so that’s why I say it’s time to move on.

It was a good ride while it lasted, but I guess all good things come to an end eventually.

jdhatpha

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 01:50:30 AM »
I Avast is so horrible, then what is so much better - McAfee, Norton, AVG, ....? Go check the forums of other anti virus software, you'll find they all get many complaints.

No software is perfect, but they all protect you from viruses (at least they try ;)) They all have their good and their bad, no difference compared to Avast. If you have a legit issue with Avast let the developers know the specifics. If it is a reasonable suggestion they might fix it in Avast, saves you an uninstall!

One thing they certainly won't do and that is have sleepless nights because of some generic "this is horrible, I'm going to tell everyone not to buy it" statement.

st4rdog

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 02:19:43 AM »
I have to agree here.

I've been using avast for 5+ years and I've just upgraded to 5 after getting a red expiration message.

I did a custom install and had to choose from far too many scanners - I had no idea which ones counted as the old "Standard Scanner" so I ended up installing 3 different scanners. I only wanted Standard and Web. And the UI is a lot bigger and takes up a process space under my username. I never liked the old blue skin, but at least the scanner selection box was small and simple enough.

And now none of the 3 scanners will even start, leaving me with no protection.

If I was to be nitpicky I'd also say the the taskbar icon is too bright compared to the blue.

Is there a way to stay at 4.X and get scanner updates for the next few years?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 02:24:18 AM by st4rdog »

Gargamel360

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 02:32:16 AM »
Change is offensive to many people, no?  Thats the 3rd time I've seen "the orange icon is too bright" or something similar on these forums (its even been called "offensive"....... ???). Granted, you did say "If I was to be nit-picky."

sded

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 02:38:58 AM »
Surprised that you are having such reactions to Avast!  Mine on 2 machines is running a bit lighter than 4.8, and definitely faster.  Shields are actually mostly the same, but the controls have been consolidated in the GUI-which has been almost universally praised as a breakthrough, but apparently not for you.  There is still problem workoff for some issues that were not caught during beta testing or early operations, but certainly the vast majority of users are very pleased with it-as are the critics.  I even like the new icon as bright and cheerful and have been using Avast! longer than either of you.  So you have a couple of choices after presenting your opinions:
Ask specific questions here that will help resolve the issues with your system
Go enjoy some other AV that better suits your needs
Whinging doesn't do anything but raise your blood pressure and antagonize the unpaid help here who don't work for Alwil anyway

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 03:15:46 AM »
Most of us love it--- but we loved 4.x also
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Mongol

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 03:17:40 AM »

Just scan these forums for the multiple problems and complaints people are stating.
Too many complaints to waste the time listing. Many companies find their demise with stunts like this.

Some of us like simple things, not a gaudy troublesome bloated "stuff" like this. I have already received many calls from users with problems that we directed to Avast. It also makes me look bad when we recommend a program that goes south.

If Avast “dumps” a troublesome program like this on their customers without warning, I doubt Avast is smart enough to see their mistakes so that’s why I say it’s time to move on.

It was a good ride while it lasted, but I guess all good things come to an end eventually.

Remember that this is a support forum. Do you expect to only see people singing praises here? Consider the hundreds of thousands who are having no problems at all, like me... :o ;D

Le Boule

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 03:28:01 AM »
st4rdog,

Your post might have gotten lost in this thread.  If you cannot resolve your problem why not open a separate thread and describe in detail your issues?   :)

Good luck...

norel

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 07:44:21 AM »
Computers are interactive by nature. You can't just turn it on like a television set and let it do it all for you. Sure, avast!5 takes some getting used to but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. In my experience it's just as good or better than 4.8. If you don't want to be bothered with changes, sell you computer and go watch TV.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 08:26:15 AM »

Thanks for generously "brightening up" the forum with your contributions.
Please let us all know which non "bloated "stuff"" you have moved on to so we can all benefit from your doubtlessly empirical research and finally clamber out of this cesspool of delusion.

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 09:20:56 AM »
First ppl whine about media player looking interface. And then you give them a nice designed interface and they complain it's bloated.
Ppl don't even know what bloated is anymore. They just yell bloated at anything they don't like.
avast! is certainly not bloated. Even the IS package. It's what it is, no less, no more. Unlike others where they stuff in bunch of useless functions that just make program fat. That's what bloat really is.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog