Author Topic: New Version is Horrible, I’m dumping it.  (Read 11228 times)

st4rdog

Re: New Version is Horrible, I’m dumping it.
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 11:49:58 AM »
I got the scanners working eventually, but I'm still not sure if File/Web/Networks gives me the same protection as Standard/Web...

I even like the new icon as bright and cheerful and have been using Avast! longer than either of you.

I didn't realise until now that it also spins everytime I visit a website. You must be kidding that you like it, yes? If that's the kind of decisions they're making you do wonder what's next...

And on the point of the UI - it's more organised, but that's about it. Who even looked there for more than 30 seconds anyway? I'd open it, right-click, choose where to scan and be done, or choose quick scan. Now, technically, it requires more clicks, depending on what tab's selected, regardless of how good it looks visually. Visuals improve, usability lessens - see the new Steam update for an example.

Hermite15

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 12:00:32 PM »
Is there a way to stay at 4.X and get scanner updates for the next few years?

sure, just like Windows XP, until 2014 :) ...with optional extended support 'til 2114.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
If you so unsure of a program st4rdog, why dont you run default for an while as best case scenario and see how you go
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

sded

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 03:29:12 PM »
The spinning ball has actually found unexpected activity going on in the background, even though it has just been erroneous, not malicious.  And, of course, it does verify that Avast! is actually checking your mail and websites.  You can even turn it off if it offends you, but it has been a strong feature for me, whether blue or orange.  But perhaps the new Avast! doesn't suit you as well as something else, so give them a try.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 03:45:56 PM »
Is there a way to stay at 4.X and get scanner updates for the next few years?

No to scanner updates..!!
I think VPS updates will be supported until autumn or end of 2010...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 03:49:18 PM »
I didn't realise until now that it also spins everytime I visit a website. You must be kidding that you like it, yes? If that's the kind of decisions they're making you do wonder what's next...

??? What do you mean..??
You can turn the spinnig off, if it bothers you that much.
And if you don't like the icon, you can even hide it. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Dch48

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 08:12:34 PM »
I got the scanners working eventually, but I'm still not sure if File/Web/Networks gives me the same protection as Standard/Web...

I even like the new icon as bright and cheerful and have been using Avast! longer than either of you.

And on the point of the UI - it's more organised, but that's about it. Who even looked there for more than 30 seconds anyway? I'd open it, right-click, choose where to scan and be done, or choose quick scan. Now, technically, it requires more clicks, depending on what tab's selected, regardless of how good it looks visually. Visuals improve, usability lessens - see the new Steam update for an example.
I like the new icon much better than the old blue one and I find the new UI to be vastly improved for usability and information provided, not to mention they finally got rid of the ridiculous DVD player look.

Hermite15

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 08:46:07 PM »
the ridiculous DVD player look

;D got to admit it was...hum...a bit ridiculous yes, but you could use other skins, and some were good.

Cassy

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 09:24:37 PM »
I Avast is so horrible, then what is so much better - McAfee, Norton, AVG, ....?

They are all getting worserfuller and worserfuller, in the sense that they are now so complex and sophisticated that they work well in fewerfuller and fewerfuller circumstances.  Ask any engineer about added complexity and sophistication.  Look at what the well known Fred Langa writes about the AV-complexity problem and a possible (and free) solution at http://windowssecrets.com/comp/100506#story1 .

I give the AV techies only about 40% of the blame for this.  The AV marketing people get another 50%, and 10% is left over for the people who write and distribute malware.

By the way, the newest free version of Avira is still a plain ole AV program, although the paid versions seem to have the community participation gadgets, webshields, and all of the other disastrous complexities.

Good luck.
C.

rickt

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 09:37:52 PM »
I found a glitch that is a big problem. Avast 5.0 won't allow Mailwasher to check mail during a session. I had to turn off Scan Inbound Messages in the Mail Shield to get MW to show my email.

Dch48

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 09:42:47 PM »
Exclude Mailwasher from being scanned by Avast! and that may help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 09:54:55 PM »
I found a glitch that is a big problem. Avast 5.0 won't allow Mailwasher to check mail during a session. I had to turn off Scan Inbound Messages in the Mail Shield to get MW to show my email.

The mail shield intercepts all the email calls including mailwasher so you either need to change the account setting in MW unchecking any SSL requirements or opt out (IgnoreProcess) mailwasher.

- Personally as a mailwasher pro user I have avast IgnoreProcess for mailwasher.exe. Since MailWasher doesn't download the complete email to do its analysis, it only downloads the headers, a small part of the body, it doesn't download images or attachments and it views what is downloaded in text only. Based on this I personally don't feel that any negligible risk worth scanning duplication, but the choice is yours.

By editing the EmailShield.ini file, [MailScanner] section using notepad. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\EmailShield.ini

[MailScanner]
IgnoreProcess=MailWasher.exe add this line if you don't already have an IgnoreProcess line.

Save the changes to EmailShield.ini and exit, the avast self-defence module will ask are you sure about the changes, etc. answer Yes.

The above file location is for XP so you might need to find it on Vista, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security