Author Topic: Cannot scan some files - Cyclic redundancy eroor (23) ????  (Read 7899 times)

Bazza12345

I have just done a full scan - no viruses found, but 4 files could not be scanned because of a Data Error : cyclic redundancy check (error 23)

The four files were NTIO.SYS, NTIO404.SYS, NTIO411.SYS and NTIO412.SYS

Today, I installed two Microsoft programmes - Windows Media 10 and PHOTO STORY 3 FOR WINDOWS.
Immediatlely after installing these and upon reboot, I got a Windows error message that says that NTVDM is missing a file NTIO.SYS. NTVDM is the system that allows 16 bit programmes to run in WindowsXP - and now I cannot run any 16 bit programmes, nor can I run DOS in the RUN box.

It seems to me that my 16 bit Programmes proble is tied in with Avast's inability to scan these 4 files.

Any thoughts on this please??

Thanks

Barry

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Cannot scan some files - Cyclic redundancy eroor (23) ????
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:18:37 AM »
Your harddisk is failing... I suggest to quickly backup all your data and get a replacement.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Bazza12345

Re: Cannot scan some files - Cyclic redundancy eroor (23) ????
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:53:26 PM »
Thank you for the above replies - they are helping me to understand my problem.

The article quoted involves ideas to recover data from a file that is reporting CRC errors.

My situation is a little different and is that I need to replace a file with another good copy of it ( these files that I believe are corrupted in some way have an identical copy elsewhere in the WINDOWS directory)

The files that I wish to replace are obviously either corrupted themselves , or are located on a bad HD sector. As an experiment -when I try to Copy them using a Windows command, then after much thrashing of the HD , Windows says that it cant copy because of the CRC error.

Now my next question is - can I rename these files and then copy the good copies located elsewhere across to the folder?

Thanks for any further assistance.

Barry