Author Topic: options when virus found (suggestion)  (Read 2845 times)

ady4um

options when virus found (suggestion)
« on: May 11, 2010, 08:36:07 PM »
I have several portable apps in my PC that are identified by Avast as viruses. Some of those apps I have downloaded from http://www.nirsoft.net .

I'm not saying Avast is completely wrong about these apps, since it *is* possible that those apps have some "virus-like" behavior. But from my point of view, in my PC Avast 5 is giving a FP in these cases.

When Avast presents the options (I have set it to ask me when it finds a virus), I can see options like "delete", or "block" or "move to chest".

If I want Avast to proceed with any other option than those 3 (sth like "skip" or "cancel" or "add to exceptions" or sth else), I have to click at the little upright "X" of the opened dialog.

The little "x" is not located in the area where the user is reading, obviously. So I would like you to consider adding options (like the ones I mentioned above) to the "reading area", so the user could *clearly* see that there *are* other options, specially when the user decides that this is a FP.

Possible options to add are:

- "skip" (meaning not to block/stop the action triggered by the scanned file; let it continue; and let Avast continue scanning/working until the next "episode").

- "add to exceptions" (meaning: add this file/event to the "exceptions list" but stop additional actions triggered by the scanned file).

- "add to exceptions and continue" (meaning: add to exceptions and continue, like the "skip" option).

Maybe only *part* of these options are really useful. You could evaluate this by yourself. I'm not saying they are fundamental options, but IMHO the upright "X" (cancel) option should be available in a more viewable manner.

Maybe just adding text explaining that the user has the option to cancel by using the upright "X" would be enough. This of course would be useful for newbies, or for those that did not see the "X" at the corner. In my case, I already saw it :)

Thank you in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: options when virus found (suggestion)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 08:39:58 PM »
Did you change the default settings to scan PUPs? (potential unwanted programs)
Add to exceptions was discussed a lot. It's not a security possibility, on contrary, it's a security hole.
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:06:34 PM »
Tech, thank you for your response.

About PUP, yes I did change default options.

The nirsoft apps intro was not the primary point of my post. I give it just as an example of "FP" (again, just in my particular case).

I don't use those apps every day, and generally speaking I don't have viruses, so clicking "X" once in a while is not a problem (for me).

I also understand what you point out about exceptions, and I agree with you. Again, this wasn't the primary point I was trying to make.

The primary point of my post was about the user interface. Generally speaking, if I'm a simple user (or even a newbie) and suddenly Avast says I may have a virus in my system, I think I would concentrate in the central part of the dialog, where all the explanations about what could/should I do, is written.

For the purpose of this post, 3 options are clearly presented. But a fourth option is also available, clicking "X", which is not at the central part of the dialog where the user is paying attention.

That's why I said that maybe adding more options may not be the best, but just adding some text about the possibility of the fourth option.

It *is* possible you already though about this, and the dialog box is design like this intentionally. If that's the case, then OK. This was just a though.

Thank you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:29:23 PM »
ady4um, I'm an user like you. You need to convince them to change the interface ;)
Anyway, I got your point. The 'x' is there just to dismiss the dialog (window) if the user does not want to wait the automatic close of it.
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:26:43 PM »
@ ady4um

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Please select your country: then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

zekeblue

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 05:06:50 PM »
My opinion.......

The disagreement is based on the differences between novice and more advanced users.  The latter need the option to skip or add to exclusions.  However, this would be a dangerous option to include in the alerts for novice users.

My solution is to include an option in settings to enable the additional buttons, perhaps with a warning.  With this approach, novice users will not likely enable the additional buttons and will remain safe while advanced users will understand and have the option. 

Not having these additional action options makes the interface cumbersome when we do have a known FP.

FWIW........