Author Topic: 5.0.545 shield issue?  (Read 20005 times)

sanctuaryforever

5.0.545 shield issue?
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:57:24 PM »
I have recently updated to the latest version of Avast on Windows xp sp3 and now the web shield module ceases to run, I have tried a repair and also a complete uninstall and reinstall and it still remains has anyone any advice please?

Hermite15

Re: 5.0.545 shield issue?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:03:18 PM »
no idea yet...others have been reporting the same issue on xp/sp3 today and yesterday...I guess Avast has more on it...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:04:16 PM »
Maybe an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:12:32 PM »
no idea yet...others have been reporting the same issue on xp/sp3 today and yesterday...I guess Avast has more on it...

how widespread is it?

I only recently updated to sp3 due to Microsoft ending updates to sp2

has the Avast team officially announced it as a bug?

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then  Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

XP SP3 has been available for almost 2 years and there have been many Critical Updates plus performance improvements since SP2.

No problem with avast! on my XP Pro system.

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 10:20:30 PM »

no ;D

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 12:09:32 AM »

no ;D

Is that "no" but there is a recognized issue that has yet to be officially announced or "No" its just speculation and there are no technical grounds to say there is an issue

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 12:16:14 AM »

no ;D

Is that "no" but there is a recognized issue that has yet to be officially announced or "No" its just speculation and there are no technical grounds to say there is an issue

1 Avast hasn't acknowledged this particular issue so far...there will probably be fixes in the next program update, or in the engine before that as usual.

2 ...and they haven't acknowledged either that it was bound to running Avast 5 on XP (don't expect this to happen)...the XP is connection is my opinion, based on forum posts.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 12:42:12 AM »
As you said in another place about the google interface, of all those posting, the greatest majority don't like it; those that don't post because they have no problem or issue with it so don't post.

The same is true here, this is a support forum so you are going to get people coming here with problems, that doesn't mean all XP system have a problem as there are many such users here that don't have a problem. XP still commands over 50% (some say as much as just short of 60%) OS market share, so if this is loosely the same in avast users then if there really was an issue with XP and avast5 these forums would be lit up like a Christmas tree and that isn't the case.

That isn't to say that these people don't have a problem and that there appears to be more XP users than other OSes experiencing a problem, that would also be down to numbers of XP users.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 12:50:52 AM »
I said much more than that about XP users and Avast, but never mind... (as to that "bashing" thread on Google forums, my opinion was/is also based on the fact that the thread doesn't reflect the user base, there are many other sources and this thread in particular is very isolated).
 As to XP and XP market share, you know my opinion already, so I won't elaborate again.

EntitY

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 01:25:48 AM »
I think Tech is right...I am running XP-SP3 and the Web Shield is working...

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 11:50:26 AM »
Web Shield is working fine on my XP Pro system as the pic shows.  :)

tortoise

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 12:03:17 PM »
The web shield appears to work on mine, in that it reports a problem if I hit a rogue URL, but the graph and log don't work.  I reported this here some time ago and nobody at all responded so it seems that it doesn't affect many, or didn't at that time.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 01:36:58 PM »
What is the problem with log and graphs?
The best things in life are free.

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:24:10 PM »
The web shield appears to work on mine, in that it reports a problem if I hit a rogue URL, but the graph and log don't work.  I reported this here some time ago and nobody at all responded so it seems that it doesn't affect many, or didn't at that time.

Like yours mine says module not running were the graph should be and whats odd is that both the start and stop buttons are clickable rather than one of them fading out as normal, I have tried numerous reinstalls and running the avast 5 removal tool but as soon as I reboot or turn off and on the system the web shield messes up, it cant be memory issues due to the fact that it worked fine before the latest update, which may I add are normally flawless