Author Topic: no record in our database for the email address provided  (Read 6568 times)

bikeman

I have tried a couple of times today to retrieve my avast key (free) but I get an email stating "We are sorry, but we have no record in our database for the email address provided."

This is strange since I was able to request and receive it without a problem earlier this week.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: no record in our database for the email address provided
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 06:31:53 PM »
What version of Avast do you have installed?  If Avast 5, then all you have to do is go to Maintenance | Registration in the Avast user interface and click there.

AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:37:47 PM »
I have tried a couple of times today to retrieve my avast key (free) but I get an email stating "We are sorry, but we have no record in our database for the email address provided."

This is strange since I was able to request and receive it without a problem earlier this week.

There is no need to retrieve your old 4.8 key (it won't work in 5.0 anyway), especially if you followed the advice on your other topic to uninstall 4.8 before installing.

So now you have 5.0 installed register using the avastUI (User Interface) as suggested by Gopher John.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bikeman

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 11:30:51 AM »
Still at 4.8 because some others seem to have had problems which I can do without.

Registered again and got a new licence key which worked in 4.8 - I don't understand why you say lic keys for 5 are different after all there is only one signup form.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 11:45:53 AM »
Still at 4.8 because some others seem to have had problems which I can do without.

Yes, some have problems, but there are millions of Avast 5 users that don't have any problems :)

So I think you should give v5 a try :)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 12:07:09 PM »

Yes, some have problems, but there are millions of Avast 5 users that don't have any problems :)

millions not posting here doesn't mean they don't have problems with Avast. Most of those who do have issues will switch silently to another solution. I'm a bit fed up reading this argument.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 03:30:46 PM »

There is no need to retrieve your old 4.8 key (it won't work in 5.0 anyway), especially if you followed the advice on your other topic to uninstall 4.8 before installing.

So now you have 5.0 installed register using the avastUI (User Interface) as suggested by Gopher John.

Is this still accurate ? Because I thought that with the latest program release a conversion option had been included to convert v4.x to v5.x licenses  ???

Al968

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 03:33:37 PM »

millions not posting here doesn't mean they don't have problems with Avast. Most of those who do have issues will switch silently to another solution. I'm a bit fed up reading this argument.

I too am a little fed up, but with the repost - as I have said in many posts, XP still has between 50% and 60% market share (depending on which stats you check). So if avast5 wasn't compatible with XP then these forums would be lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree and we simply aren't seeing that.

This isn't simply down to the many (as you say) who have a problem don't bother to report it and slip away to another AV solution, but that for the greatest majority of XP users aren't having a problem (the XP user base is still huge and that would be represented in the avast user base).

Now that conclusion is no less valid than yours, as neither has facts to support their argument, so it is down to personal opinion.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 03:44:30 PM »
<snip>

Is this still accurate ? Because I thought that with the latest program release a conversion option had been included to convert v4.x to v5.x licenses  ???

I can't test that as having registered you can't register at any time as you did in 4.8 and I'm an avast 5.0 free user.

But the conversion of 4.8-50 license relates to the Pro licence where there is a need to convert the balance of your license period so it can be transferred to avast pro 5.0. For some time the installation of 5.0 over 4.8 converts/retains the license/registration data for use in avast 5.0.

However, if you do a clean install that isn't retained. If however, as you say you can enter a 4.8 license number into 5.0 and it converts it for use in 5.0, then this could leave a hole for the insertion of a dubious key (unless there was some prior validation of the key). So I don't know what measures avast would take to prevent piracy in the case of avast 5.0 pro.

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »

I too am a little fed up, but with the repost...

oh are you ??? you've been reposting the same "arguments" about good old XP again and again, so if you can't stand your own speech then it's time to retire may be ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 06:03:02 PM »
I'm not alone in my opinion on any problems with XP and avast5 (as is clear from the others posts in many forums), whist your seems to be a lone or minority voice. This has nothing to do with good old XP again and again, but your saying there is a problem with XP and avast5, which most certainly isn't the case.

Yes, there are some people experiencing problems with avast5 that happen to be using XP and that doesn't mean their problem is any the less painful and not saying the problem doesn't exist for them; it is a little more complex that because they are using XP and avast5 they will have a problem.

Given the user base of XP I would expect there to be a higher percentage of people posting here with a problem than have Vista or win7 as they represent a larger percentage of the OS user base. Its simple arithmetic, if you have more users then the percentage of those having a problem will have a higher average also.