Author Topic: AVAST 5.0.545 FREE UPDATES ISSUE  (Read 20802 times)

wonder

AVAST 5.0.545 FREE UPDATES ISSUE
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:00:04 PM »
Hi guys, today I bought a new modem/router (TRUST md 4050). Everything was ok, except for avast updates, I tried the manual way, but the update process keeps saying "initializing...". I disabled the modem firewall, using, as before, only comodo firewall....no results. I'm sure i've to set something, the others security softwares (MBAM, SAS) are working fine...could someone help me? Thanks ;)

Hermite15

Re: AVAST 5.0.545 FREE UPDATES ISSUE
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:10:40 PM »
1 don't disable your router firewall. Comodo might be good but it doesn't replace it.

2 I never had issues between CIS and Avast, i.e. nothing was blocked, but according to another thread, it seems that yes in some cases, although I wonder how...anyway, delete all CIS rules related to Avast (in both Def+ and the firewall) and reboot. Depending on your mode you'll be prompted to recreate these rules or this will be done automatically. Best thing is to put both the firewall and def+ in "training mode" before rebooting, wait until all avast processes have run (do a manual update), and then turn def+ and the firewall back to your preferred modes. You should be able to update then. Again, I've never experienced this problem, CIS always created immediately appropriate rules for Avast on my system. So if it's not that on your system, I have no idea. More and more people are currently complaining about updating issues and avast services problems too. I had one update issue earlier today but it was solved after a reboot.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:25:51 PM by Logos »

wonder

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:36:47 PM »
I think it's something related to the new hardware...btw, let's try with your suggestion...i'll come back in  few minutes, thanks  :)

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:39:42 PM »
I think it's something related to the new hardware...btw, let's try with your suggestion...i'll come back in  few minutes, thanks  :)

I doubt that, most routers come with well configured firewalls by default...

wonder

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 11:50:04 PM »
Done. No results...CIS is in learning mode... btw it created default rules for avast (unlimited access). AVAST tried an update, but i had a red pop-up saying that the process failed...trying with the manual mode it says "it's impossible to connect to the server"... :-\

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 11:55:58 PM »
Done. No results...CIS is in learning mode... btw it created default rules for avast (unlimited access). AVAST tried an update, but i had a red pop-up saying that the process failed...trying with the manual mode it says "it's impossible to connect to the server"... :-\

you could check your updates settings: "permanently connected..." ...but this shouldn't interfere when you attempt to update manually...

Offline RedFan

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 11:59:31 PM »
Try to disable the firewall from your router and see whats happening ...
IntelĀ® i3 Quad-Core @4,3 GHZ. RAM: 16GB ddr4 || SSD 500 GB || Windows 11 Home x64 || Chromium user.

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 12:01:59 AM »

I think he's tried that already (first post)...

doktornotor

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 12:08:28 AM »
Well... so, can you connect to the update server? Like, telnet to port 80.

wonder

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 12:11:22 AM »

yes...it's the first thing I tried...without results...

wonder

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 12:23:34 AM »
Well... so, can you connect to the update server? Like, telnet to port 80.

No I can't...update process is blocked on the first step "initializing..". And then, onestly, I'm not an expert in ports, routers, proxy etc...simply my modem was broken...I bought this one, and now I'm in big troubles ::)
So, if someone is so patient to explain me what I've to check and how I've to proceed...i would be very very grateful  :)

doktornotor

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 12:30:11 AM »
No I can't...update process is blocked on the first step "initializing..".

I asked about telnet to port 80 on one or more of those avast update servers...

wonder

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 12:43:24 AM »
And I repeat: onestly, I'm not an expert in ports, routers, proxy etc...

So How could I check it?? I'm sorry, as you can see I'm a beginner...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 12:59:47 AM »
wonder, please, post the last 300-350 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log
(or the shorter C:\Users\All Users\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\Setup.log).
Use more than one post if necessary.
The best things in life are free.

wonder

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 01:08:43 AM »
wonder, please, post the last 300-350 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log
(or the shorter C:\Users\All Users\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\Setup.log).
Use more than one post if necessary.

Thanks tech! I'll do it tomorrow, now here is time to sleep. Actually the file is huge...btw, see you tomorrow  :D