Author Topic: AVAST 5.0.545 FREE UPDATES ISSUE  (Read 20800 times)

Hermite15

Re: AVAST 5.0.545 FREE UPDATES ISSUE
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 09:25:41 AM »
ok but please copy/paste in a file and attach the file, avoid pasting the log directly in posts ;)

wonder

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 12:47:35 PM »
Here I am with the log file! I know it's bigger than the requested one, but I tried to isolate the problem starting from yesterday's logs. I hope this could help you (and me) to solve the issue.
Ah.... I don't know if it could be useful...ehm...now I'm using an ethernet cable to connect to the modem, and the connection is setted as a LAN connection. Perhaps it doesn't matter, but I preferred to inform you..

isamuelson

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 02:00:57 PM »
This might be part of your problem:

Code: [Select]
12:16:44 min/gen  Return code: 0x2000000A [Another instance of setup is already running. Please wait until it finishes and then try to run it again.]

For some reason, setup is running or it thinks that it is. Have you tried rebooting into safe mode with networking to see if that fixes it? I know currently, the setup.ovr file is constantly locked when I try to update the engine and it requires me to either uninstall the old version and install the new version or else, I have to reboot into safe mode with networking to download the update.

Have you tried rebooting first and then doing the update?

wonder

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 04:12:33 PM »
Just tried, i can't start avast from save mode. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling and actually it DID an update while installing, but when i tried to make it manually, i had the same horrible never ending "Initializing, please wait...". I'm getting angry...I can only do a manual update downloading def. file from the web site, disabling avast self defense module, killing avast.setup process. Not very convenient...

Edit: Tried just now with the old modem, but no results, evidently this problem is not related to the new modem/router...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 04:51:33 PM by wonder »

isamuelson

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 06:06:19 PM »
Just tried, i can't start avast from save mode. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling and actually it DID an update while installing, but when i tried to make it manually, i had the same horrible never ending "Initializing, please wait...". I'm getting angry...I can only do a manual update downloading def. file from the web site, disabling avast self defense module, killing avast.setup process. Not very convenient...

Edit: Tried just now with the old modem, but no results, evidently this problem is not related to the new modem/router...

Don't try to start it in safe mode. Instead, go to the control panel and the Programs icon. Highlight the Avast icon and click on the Uninstall/Change button. When it runs the uninstall program, click on the "Update" icon and start the update process. That's how I have to do it. I don't do it through Avast's interface at all since it's not running.

ravi16aug

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 06:27:56 PM »
the update issue as described by you is seems to be due to a conflict, because avast! is one of the very few AVs which updates like a champ - regularly and flawlessly

wonder

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 07:47:46 PM »
the update issue as described by you is seems to be due to a conflict, because avast! is one of the very few AVs which updates like a champ - regularly and flawlessly

In fact I've this problem from yesterday..i've never had any problem with avast 5. I can't understand what is the conflict, i didn't install anything new...last chance: i will resume an image/backup of the system..let's see what happens..no one (VLK; PK; IGOR...) has a better idea??

Hermite15

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 07:56:13 PM »
there's been a problem with updating yesterday, but it's gone now. You still have the issue today?

wonder

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 10:58:19 PM »
Yes, just restored an old backup image...but problem is still present. I'm desperate...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 10:59:30 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

wonder

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 11:43:25 PM »
1) Avast removed succesfully using control pannell/rebooted
2) Ran properly avast uninstall utility. Ran also ccleaner and regseeker.
3) Installed avast from scratch, rebooted.

Nothing... :'(

Hermite15

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 12:13:32 AM »
1) Avast removed succesfully using control pannell/rebooted
2) Ran properly avast uninstall utility. Ran also ccleaner and regseeker.
3) Installed avast from scratch, rebooted.

Nothing... :'(

just an advice: just wait...sounds like there are major issues with Avast 5 on XP at the moment for many users seeing their modules (web shield etc...) stopped or having the software unable to update...if you don't think you have noticeable network issues, you have already reinstalled Avast and nothing changed, expect an engine/VPS update or a new build soon. I don't believe the problem is on your system, it's in Avast currently. It started a few days ago with build 5.0.545 and many other XP users reported exactly the same things: again, updating and services issues.

wonder

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 12:31:36 AM »
My internet connection is ok...i'm wondering: if problems started with ver. 5.0.545 last updates...why did I have the same issue once restored an older system image (in this backup avast was 5.0.507)?? So problems are not related to the software version...anyway, you know, i can't afford to stay without updates (or to do it manually every time), so, for the moment, i switched to avira. I'm not happy, i was forced in this decision. For me avira is the second choice, but at least has a good detection rate and updates are ok...I don't trust avg, rising, pc tools etc...
I' ll be waiting for good news here, every day, hoping for a fast problem solution... :-\

wonder

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2010, 05:38:14 PM »
Any news form me?? I'm still using avira...waiting for a reply here...so, lets replace this 3d in pole position.. ;)

twitchki

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »
Had the same issue with Pro version 5.0.594 and it would freeze at the initializing screen when trying an update. I had to delete all files from C:\Windows\Temp as I was getting a failed to create temp directory during the update process.

All working now.