Author Topic: SSL NOT being handled by AVAST!  (Read 15749 times)

NTxLS

SSL NOT being handled by AVAST!
« on: May 13, 2010, 04:49:02 PM »
My system is Dell Inspiron 1564 Intel Dual Core Processor 64bit O/S Win7 latest updates 64bit.  My e-mail client is Pegasus Mail v4.52 using Windows Firewall native and Microsoft Security Essentials all latest updates.   Avast!5.0.545 with the e-mail shield set to STOP as it will not do the SSL correctly for me.  I had been using the one in my Pegasus Mail and it worked very well.  Added Avast! v5.0.545 and it told me to disable the SSL in my client because Avast! would do that for me, WRONG!!  After two days of not being able to download my e-mail and checking every thing that I could think of to see why I could not send nor receive, I turned off the Mail Shield and volè my e-mail works again after changing my SSL back to my e-mail client.

What do you need from my system to see what can be done about this?  Or am I just to leave it terminated as I have now?  Plus would like to ask, while I have your attention, when will there be pre-boot scan for 64bit Windows as you have for the 32bit?

TIA, CU L8R
NTxLS

Gargamel360

Re: SSL NOT being handled by AVAST!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:55:58 PM »
Other threads on this......did you try a search?

NTxLS

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 05:16:54 PM »
Other threads on this......did you try a search?

Yes, but came up with nothing.  May I ask where?

TIA, CU L8R,
NTxLS

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 05:22:15 PM »
>>> launch a search with "scan mail ssl" for instance and see the results, this has been posted and answered hundreds of times.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 05:30:22 PM »
Not much info to go on. Have only used Thunderbird/IMAP/GMail myself.
Very quickly, you have to disable SSL in the email client AND change the port back to standard (if disabling SSL doesn't do that automatically, which it does in TBird).

IMAP port 143
POP port 110
SMTP port 25

On another subject, according to your post you have both avast! and MSE installed simultaneously.
While not conflicting in regard to email scanning, there may be other "irregularities" as a result of having more than one real-time scanner running.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

ravi16aug

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 05:31:24 PM »
The mail shield-SSL issue needs a well written post which should be made sticky.

@NTxLS, the 64-bit pre-boot scan is planned for version 5.1

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 05:37:07 PM »
The mail shield-SSL issue needs a well written post which should be made sticky.
+1.... ;)

Squid

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 05:54:07 PM »
you have to disable SSL in the email client AND change the port back to standard (if disabling SSL doesn't do that automatically)

POP port 110
SMTP port 25

This seems to work in Outlook Express (2004), too.

Thanks

wilmasorphans

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:31:47 PM »
 :(<The mail shield-SSL issue needs a well written post which should be made sticky.> you are quite correct. i have been searching using various wording and keep coming to the same questions and responses each time.

my desktop uses windows vista, 32 bit, with windows mail.  since upgrading to the free version of avast 5.0.545 i am having major problems receiving email.  my isp is speakeasy.net and i have 3 email accounts which are all not ssl but do need authenication.  i changed the mail shield settings to port 110 incoming and port 25 outgoing and encryption to "none" but am still not receiving any emails.  when i disable the mail shield emails come in without a problem.  i spent hours on the phone this afternoon with speakeasy trying to determine what the problem was and it's AVAST.

please do not tell me that this question has been answered hundreds of times and i should seach because i've tried that and it hasn't worked.  so someone who is knowledgable about this problem please help!!!! :'( :'( :'(

Jon_T

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 04:33:15 AM »
+1.... ;)
+22  ;)

NTxLS,
Have you read the avast! Support Center article avast! 5.x: The Mail Shield may not scan some e-mails?

wilmasorphans

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 02:28:09 PM »
thanx for replying without sarcasm ;D

i had not read the article.  but now that i have it didn't help because i had done all that already.

i have been using the same settings for my email clients with avast free for over a year without any problems.  it's only since i upgraded avast free that i'm having trouble.

well turned out the main problem was with my isp.  it has been resolved and i tested everything with avast turned back on and all is working according to plan.

thanx again... ;D

JerryM

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 03:16:38 PM »
I am using Windows Live Mail, which I thought had protection. I get the same information to make the change. I don't know how to change the settings and not mess up my access to the various accounts.
I would like incoming and outgoing mail scanned.

Looking at older posts, I am not sure what the impact of this SSL problem is. Does it mean that emails are not scanned before they are downloaded or how does this work?
The information that I have found is not adequate for me to understand all the impact, or how to fix the problem with Windows Live Mail.
I need some better instruction that just "Do a search."
Thanks.

Regards,
Jerry
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:32:16 PM by JerryM »

JSN

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »
Quote from: Jon_T
Quote from: Pondus
+1
+2
+3

Having the Mail Shield problem myself and unresolved, I would like to put in my +  ;)

Offline Acco

• Where's my flask?!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 03:37:33 PM »
Quote from: Jon_T
Quote from: Pondus
+1
+2
+3
+4
I have disabled SSL/encryption and set to port 143 on Imap Gmail, and for SMTP set to no SSL and tried both ports 25 and 587, also to no avail. Solve issue before placing much needed sticky. Tried every setting imaginable for past 1 1/2 months, cannot receive Imap Gmail email if Avast scan settings are used!
Whadayamean it's broke,,,   let me make sure!

XP-Pro SP3 - P4 3.2 Ghz - 2 GB ram - Avast Free Home 2015.10.2.2218 - Firefox 38.0.1 - Thunderbird 31.6.0 - Imap Gmail - SpywareBlaster 5 - SuperAntiSpyware - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium

JerryM

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 04:45:25 PM »
Since this is obviously not an isolated problem I fail to see why the Avast developers do not get this fixed.

At least I would appreciate understanding the options and ramifications. I am not very savvy, and advice such as "search" is not helpful. The reason I am here asking is because I don't know how to solve the problem, and do not know how I am better off by changing the current set up with Windows Live Mail.

Regards,
Jerry
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 04:48:36 PM by JerryM »