Author Topic: Ashserv not responding in Task Manager  (Read 8908 times)

Eagle2a

Ashserv not responding in Task Manager
« on: May 13, 2010, 05:30:29 PM »
Hello,

I use Avast! 4.8 Home edition (current version 4.8.1368) on my Win98 SE systems and have been very pleased with its performance. However, I suddenly started getting errors with Ashserv not responding in Task Manager when I access and try to modify Windows date/time properties and various other Windows system items through the Start menu. The Windows task completely freezes and the only solution is to kill Ashserv in Task Manager which apparently removes Avast!'s resident protection (obviously undesirable).

This never happened before and only started sometime within the past several days, but it's now consistently occurring and is extremely aggravating. Coincidentally or not, I also started getting a red pop-up notification after every initial bootup definitions auto-update that my license key is expiring soon and to update Avast! to version 5. I understand that Win98 is no longer supported in version 5 so I have not performed the update. Any ideas what might be causing this recent problem and any possible solutions? Thanks for all your great work!

EDIT: I just found this recent thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56298.0 which closely describes my problem. Unlike its author, I did NOT download or try to update to version 5.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:00:34 PM by Eagle2a »

Eagle2a

Re: Ashserv not responding in Task Manager
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 06:45:31 PM »
An update with new information about the issue. It appears that the "Ashserv not responding" problem only starts if I click the aggravating red pop-up notification in the system tray area that recently started showing up after every system bootup:

"avast! Information
Your antivirus subscription will expire soon!
Click here to remedy the situation..."

The red pop-up notification eventually disappears after about 10 minutes (which I didn't realize), and Ashserv no longer shows up in Task Manager. My system then appears to work normally with none of the errors I described. So, it strongly appears that the entire chain of events that leads to all the system problems is initiated by clicking the red pop-up notification. I still have the antivirus subscription expiration issue though that somehow needs to be addressed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 06:50:00 PM by Eagle2a »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:23:08 PM »
Why don't you get a new key for your 4.8 installation and register again?
Then repair your installation through Control Panel.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:27:04 PM »
I still have the antivirus subscription expiration issue though that somehow needs to be addressed.

Get your new key here: http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
Troubleshooter for V4: http://support.avast.com/troubleshoot/eng/
Btw, avast 4 updates will be discontinued in late 2010...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Eagle2a

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 05:17:30 AM »
Thank you for your replies and advice. I registered for a new license key then entered it in Avast!. So far everything seems to be working normally again. The red pop-up notification no longer shows up and I have not experienced any of the mysterious system freezes.

I'm still very curious how (and why) clicking the red pop-up notification initiates this problem. Maybe one of the Avast! technical gurus could look into it...

And yes I'm aware that Win9x/ME support is ending later this year. :/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 05:20:00 AM by Eagle2a »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:53:13 AM »
Thank you for your replies and advice. I registered for a new license key then entered it in Avast!. So far everything seems to be working normally again. The red pop-up notification no longer shows up and I have not experienced any of the mysterious system freezes.

You're welcome..!! :)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »
@Eagle2a

You may want to hide your email address.  Spammers harvest from the forums.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Eagle2a

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 06:30:30 AM »
@Gopher John
Thanks. I didn't realize it was displayed.

@Asyn (and Tech)
Everything continues to work normally and again I appreciate your help. It's still strange how that red pop-up notification is the root cause of all the problems.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 10:59:36 AM »
@Asyn (and Tech)
Everything continues to work normally and again I appreciate your help. It's still strange how that red pop-up notification is the root cause of all the problems.

No problem, what really matters most is that it's working again..!! ;)
asyn

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 04:11:38 PM »
@Asyn (and Tech)
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)

henkjanj

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 11:58:05 PM »
Hi there,

The exact same problem, is what i have.
Also on Windows 98 SE.
Maybe we can reduce the 10 minute-problem to a 1-minute problem through an ini-setting or registry-setting?

However, maybe that's irrelevant. I'll ask for another license key for Avast, and see what I can do before the end of the year.
Eagle2a, According to this site: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/105936-last-versions-of-software-for-windows-98se/
there is currently only one scanner with runtime protection supporting Win98, and that is Sophos, and it doesn't sell license keys to individuals (only companies....) I'll see if i can purchase a key, even though i'm not a company (but i'd prefer a key only for the anti-virus stuff, not for the whole suite).

Please let me know if you have any ideas....

Regards,
HJ

Eagle2a

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 06:47:35 PM »
@Tech:
I shall. :) Hopefully I can provide some input and assistance to the forums.

@henkjanj:
Well it's reassuring in a way that I'm not the only person with that very strange problem. I'm almost positive the author of the referenced link in my first post was also experiencing the same thing. I happened to be fortunate enough to discover the root cause of the problem (the red pop-up notification) even though I still have no idea as to the technical reasons. I don't think it's worth the effort trying to reduce the amount of time that red pop-up shows up. Registering for and installing the new license key seems to have solved the problem. Last time Avast! automatically provided a new license key before my registration expired and I thought it would happen again. Obviously not. Maybe that has to do with 4.8 support being discontinued soon.

It's very coincidental you referenced that link which I'm very familiar with. I'm an active MSFN member and have been discussing and researching various antivirus alternatives for Win9x/ME once Avast! 4.8 support ends. There are other options besides Sophos. Search around the MSFN Win9x/ME forums for recent threads on that topic. I'll post back with some specific links if you're interested. HTH
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 06:53:30 PM by Eagle2a »

Eagle2a

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 09:17:11 PM »
Well, it's about a year later and I started getting that red pop-up notification in the system tray area with occasional "Ashserv not responding" errors in Task Manager again. I tried registering for a new license key but Avast! keeps giving me the same key from last year for some reason. Do I have to wait until the key actually expires before I can get a new key? Thanks again for all of your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 02:56:39 AM »
Indeed you need to wait to get a new key, but, after all, it does not seem to be a problem with the key.
The crashing/freeze seems a conflict with any other security program installed or a bad avast installation.

I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

Eagle2a

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 04:22:46 PM »
@Tech:
Thank you again for your reply and advice. However, just like last year, the system freezes with "Ashserv not responding" in Task Manager only start when I get that red pop-up notification in the system tray area about my subscription expiring soon. I do not know the reason for this but there is no doubt that is the root cause of the problem. This year the system freezes weren't as bad or as often as last year, and generally occur when I try to change my system date/time. As I mentioned in another thread, I was finally able to get a new license key and the problem immediately stopped after I entered it (hence extending my subscription and preventing that red pop-up notification). No uninstall/reinstall was necessary as you suggested.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 04:35:00 PM by Eagle2a »