Author Topic: AvastSvc.exe still installed?!!!  (Read 4252 times)

steverenn

AvastSvc.exe still installed?!!!
« on: May 13, 2010, 07:50:23 PM »
4 a.m., sleeping, my computer beeps twice and says "Threat detected."  Obviously, I'm not sleeping any more!  By the time I get to the computer and turn on the screen, the bubble for avast is disappearing.  So, I open the program and there is no mention of any threat?  I looked.  Nothing.  I did notice something about registering... Perhaps it was not the best time to take action, but I was... a little irked.  I uninstalled Avast.

Today, a few days later, my machine is slow, so I Ctrl+Alt+Del to find out what is slowing it down... AvastSvc.exe is the first on the list (using the most memory).  It won't shut down.  There is no uninstall program and it isn't on the remove program list.  WTF guys?  I'll find a way to remove it, but damn.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AvastSvc.exe still installed?!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 10:34:56 PM »
I uninstalled Avast.
Why? ???

I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 10:44:51 PM »
still weird that he's saying avastsvc.exe still running after he uninstalled... ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 10:48:01 PM »
still weird that he's saying avastsvc.exe still running after he uninstalled... ;D
Bad uninstallation.
The best things in life are free.