Author Topic: performance and crash issues  (Read 2345 times)

martyh

performance and crash issues
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:19:17 PM »
Hello,

I've installed the new Avast version 5.0.x. Since doing so, my system has been very sluggish upon accessing web pages, and my browser (Internet Explorer 8.0.6x) crashes quite often.  And I am unable in most instances to kill the page without accessing the Task Manager.

As I said, this all began right after installing 5.0.x. Is this all just a coincidence? Or, are others having performance issues as I am?

One of the reasons I switched to Avast! after using Symantec's Norton for at least a decade was Norton's need for a gawdawful amount of space and its sluggish performance. Now I seem to be back where I started.

I'm using XP Media Edition, by the way.
Thanks,
- martyh

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: performance and crash issues
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:25:34 PM »

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003-2010 products from your computer.

1) (If possible) Remove Symantec products through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

Then, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

martyh

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:33:25 PM »
You misunderstand, and I probably shouldn't have mentioned Norton at all -- it was mentioned for comparison purposes only.

I've been using AVAST! for more than a year, possibly longer. There is no Norton on my machine; it was properly removed before installing an earlier version of Avast!.

- martyh

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:00:51 AM »
yeah..seems like Tech just did again a copy/paste from a "ready to post" message on his list ;D sorry Martyh I haven't got a clue why your system gets slow with Avast 5 installed.

1 are you sure that Avast is the issue? >>> terminate all avast services (i.e. disable them completely, after disabling the self-defense module in the main settings first). Reboot and see if there's a difference.

2 if there's no difference, what's your amount of RAM, CPU etc...

3 what other security software are you running? anything that could conflict with Avast...

4 does one Avast module in particular seem to slow down your system? the web shield? same sluggish browsing in any browser, Firefox, Chrome, Opera?

4 last resort uninstall: but you don't need the uninstall utility, use the uninstaller that comes with the program and reboot, then reinstall.

I mean before doing anything systematic as advised, troubleshoot your own system. And if in the end it still doesn't work properly, then either your hardware is the cause, or we shall have to consider again that may be there's an issue with Avast 5 on Windows XP...may be ::)