Author Topic: Avast! Silent/Gaming Mode won't stay on when I put my computer to sleep  (Read 8371 times)

diezL

I've had Avast Free Home edition for quite a time now, though there is something that really annoys me, everytime I put my computer to Sleep when I reopen it the Silent/Gaming mode wears off! So everything I open my computer I get that message saying the virus database is up to date. On another computer that is always opened, even when i restart it or just turn it off, when I put it back on the message is not appearing and Silent/Gamin mode stays on. Only when I put it to Sleep it comes back Off.(Windows 7 64-bit build 7600)

Any way to fix this? Thanks.

Olivier
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:48:16 PM by diezL »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You mention "I've had Avast Free Home edition for quite a time now," unfortunately that is a bit of a mix of two products, avast 4.8 Home and avast 5.0 free antivirus.

What avast version are you using 4.8 or 5.0 ?

Are you using a limited user account on the system with problems  ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

diezL

Heres a picture to show you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Well I'm not a gamer so I haven't used this option, but I wouldn't recommend leaving it permanently in gaming/silent mode. If the games that you use are full screen games then avast recognises that and and will enter gaming/silent mode whilst you have that game on full screen.

You didn't answer the other question about limited user accounts and the other system ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

"gaming mode" still on when system resuming from sleep mode here ;) ...you don't need to be a gamer to check if it works ;) whether it would still be on if triggered by a full screen app as opposed to doing it manually like I just did now, I have no idea, I don't have any game installed right now. Checking then must be hard as to check you got to get out of the full screen app ;D

diezL

No, I just put it because I don't want any alert at any time... It's not even for the games. "Silent"/Gaming mode... I just want it silent.

diezL

So is this when the administrators stop helping people :\...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
No administrators have responded in your topic only avast users like yourself.

I don't know why this is happening to you but not the others who have responded.

Whilst I'm not confident this is likely to work it won't hurt to try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

diezL

Well it did not work, but since nobody else have this problem maybe nothing will fix it.

Thanks anyway everyone who tried to help me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You could try a clean reinstall as that is the next step after a repair didn't work.

- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.545 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

diezL

Unfortunately it did not do the trick :\ it still goes off when I put the computer to sleep.