Author Topic: Can you translate avast! into Hindi, Urdu or Pashto?  (Read 50086 times)

robinson

Can you translate avast! into Hindi, Urdu or Pashto?
« on: May 14, 2010, 02:11:56 PM »
Hello-
We are looking for volunteers to join the avast! translation community and help us translate avast! into these new languages.

If you are a native speaker of one of these languages, with good English, and you would like to work with us to localize avast! into your language, we would be very pleased to hear from you. Please also let us know for how long you have been using avast! and whether you consider yourself a “regular” or “expert” user.

The program is localized using special localization software called Passolo.  It would therefore also be useful if you can let us know if you have any previous experience of using Passolo or any other translation software.

Thank you in advance. We look forward to hearing from you!

ravi16aug

Re: Can you translate avast! into Hindi, Urdu or Pashto?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »
I am a native Hindi speaker and writer, and I would very much like to contribute towards this initiative. I have no experience with Passolo but I am sure I will be able to understand it, as tinkering with software is my passion. I am a long time user of avast and hence I know the product functionality completely.

Stran05

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 08:24:14 PM »
Hey, that's not fair. >:( Why not translate Avast! into Bengali?  :DIt is the sweetest and one of the most popular languages in India originating from West Bengal. Bengalis are scattered around all over the world and many of them own Avast and would like to see their native language on their favorite antivirus software. I am a fluent Bengali and may join in this translation if you decide for translating Avast into Bengali. ;D

MacXcode

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 09:37:49 AM »
Bengali..?? Hindi is the national language of india and most of the people in india can read it and understand it NOT BENGALI.
Even bengali people can speak and read hindi but not vice-versa. Translation in national language is must.

robinson

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 06:55:07 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. Before a war or words breaks out between the Hindi and Bengali speakers, we also hope to translate avast into Bengali, and also into Farsi, and we already have volunteers ready to help us with these languages. We're therefore just looking for additional help with Hindi, Urdu and Pashto. Once the program is localized into all these languages it will be available to review via this forum and we will be glad of your feedback and help in refining the translation where necessary.

Many thanks once again for your offers of help. For those languages where we still need help, I will contact the volunteers directly by email.

Stran05

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Well, while translating to Indian language is concerned, you should rather try both Hindi and Bengali. The popularity of Hindi is most but Bengali is next ot it. Even our national anthem 'Jana Gana Mana' was writen by Rabindarnath Tagore who was a Bengali. West Bengal boasts of the finest and cleverest human-biengs of India. Bengali is a language which has more expressions and is the sweetest language after French. I assure you that if you translate Avast into both Hindi and Bengali, it will be recieved well by us, Indian users. There is no point in translating Avast to Pashto. You may try Urdu, as it is also popular among Muslims. If you need my help in translating Avast to Bengali, then please contact me at my email.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 02:12:28 AM »
Well, while translating to Indian language is concerned, you should rather try both Hindi and Bengali. The popularity of Hindi is most but Bengali is next ot it. Even our national anthem 'Jana Gana Mana' was writen by Rabindarnath Tagore who was a Bengali. West Bengal boasts of the finest and cleverest human-biengs of India. Bengali is a language which has more expressions and is the sweetest language after French. I assure you that if you translate Avast into both Hindi and Bengali, it will be recieved well by us, Indian users. There is no point in translating Avast to Pashto. You may try Urdu, as it is also popular among Muslims. If you need my help in translating Avast to Bengali, then please contact me at my email.

I believe tha it was pointed out that the translation in Bengali is already been worked on...But thank you anyway

Al968

dukim

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 04:06:47 PM »
I can help you translate in Serbian.

i2imran

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 03:57:02 PM »
Hello-
We are looking for volunteers to join the avast! translation community and help us translate avast! into these new languages.

If you are a native speaker of one of these languages, with good English, and you would like to work with us to localize avast! into your language, we would be very pleased to hear from you. Please also let us know for how long you have been using avast! and whether you consider yourself a “regular” or “expert” user.

The program is localized using special localization software called Passolo.  It would therefore also be useful if you can let us know if you have any previous experience of using Passolo or any other translation software.

Thank you in advance. We look forward to hearing from you!

I can give you a hand with Urdu, I'm proficient in English too as I've 5 years of schooling from Canada. My background is computers, and I hold a computer engineering degree.

I have been using AVAST since it got it's big break, and I consider myself an advanced user. As far as experience with Passolo is concerned; I've never used it but I can adapt quickly.

Except weekends, I can work 5 days a week to get this done as swiftly as you want. I also understand this is purely a volunteer work.

Regards,

Salman  :)

Stran05

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 08:32:25 PM »
Hindi is the national language of India. Ok. I am resident of India and I respect the language. Urdu? The language of Pakistan and  other Islam countries. Ok. Bengali? The national language of Bangladesh. I protest that Avast translation for Bengali be given as much priority as Avast translations for Hindi or Urdu.

i2imran

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 09:07:05 PM »
Hindi is the national language of India. Ok. I am resident of India and I respect the language. Urdu? The language of Pakistan and  other Islam countries. Ok. Bengali? The national language of Bangladesh. I protest that Avast translation for Bengali be given as much priority as Avast translations for Hindi or Urdu.

Mate, it has already been pointed out twice that they've got volunteers working on translating AVAST into Bengali, hence Bengali is getting as much attention as other languages.  :)

i2imran

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 12:16:46 AM »
Downloaded the SDL Passolo 2009 Translator Edition, but it only lets you edit previously created bundles with full professional edition. On fiddling around with sample projects, it looks very easy to work with:- http://i48.tinypic.com/2hz9lk.jpg

See you guys on Monday.  8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 03:16:39 AM »
Downloaded the SDL Passolo 2009 Translator Edition, but it only lets you edit previously created bundles with full professional edition. On fiddling around with sample projects, it looks very easy to work with:- http://i48.tinypic.com/2hz9lk.jpg

See you guys on Monday.  8)
Passolo allows translation and handling of project files (created by the Pro) for free.
The best things in life are free.

robinson

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 09:49:37 AM »
I am a native Hindi speaker and writer, and I would very much like to contribute towards this initiative. I have no experience with Passolo but I am sure I will be able to understand it, as tinkering with software is my passion. I am a long time user of avast and hence I know the product functionality completely.
Hello Ravi, thank you for your reply. I have already sent you an email with regard to the next steps.
Thanks again and I look forward to hearing back from you.

robinson

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 09:54:57 AM »
I can give you a hand with Urdu, I'm proficient in English too as I've 5 years of schooling from Canada. My background is computers, and I hold a computer engineering degree.

I have been using AVAST since it got it's big break, and I consider myself an advanced user. As far as experience with Passolo is concerned; I've never used it but I can adapt quickly.

Except weekends, I can work 5 days a week to get this done as swiftly as you want. I also understand this is purely a volunteer work.

Regards,

Salman  :)
Hi Salman,
Thank you for your reply. I have sent you an email to discuss the next steps, so I look forward to hearing back from you.