Author Topic: avast! forum compromised?  (Read 3888 times)

ravi16aug

avast! forum compromised?
« on: May 25, 2010, 09:48:14 AM »
Guys, was browsing avast! forum on a test machine and got an alert from AVG LinkScanner. Check out the attached image file for details. And before anyone chimes in with - 'avast! is not compatible with AVG LinkScanner' I would like to add that this machine did not have avast!, instead it was loaded with another free AV.

Hermite15

Re: avast! forum compromised?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 11:27:50 AM »
probably just a link to a reported rogue that wasn't deactivated in that thread...

Altarir.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:47:29 PM »
there is exploit code(deactivated) posted there not as an image but as part of post

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »
Yes it is the partial exploit code shown in the example, which is why I always use images to shoe examples of the code. I have had the post causing the alert removed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alan Baxter

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 04:45:56 PM »
Yes it is the partial exploit code shown in the example, which is why I always use images to shoe examples of the code. I have had the post causing the alert removed.

Uh, that appears to be my post that you had removed.  It contained my report showing PamJ and the web site owner exactly what the problem was that needed to be fixed: something which could be copied and analyzed further if necessary.  It provided no danger to anyone and didn't cause a detection by Avast.  Sorry AVG finally decided to detect it.  If I recall correctly, AVG thought the infected site was clean at the time of the original report.  The next time I find the offending code for someone, I'll put it in a screenshot.

I suppose it's not that big a deal, especially to anyone else, but I would have preferred a moderator merely editing my post or asking me to edit it.  Just deleting it, especially without telling me about it, wasn't cool.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 05:05:52 PM »
I suppose it's not that big a deal, especially to anyone else, but I would have preferred a moderator merely editing my post or asking me to edit it.  Just deleting it, especially without telling me about it, wasn't cool.
+1
The best things in life are free.