Author Topic: Wishlist: Two new Online service by Avast  (Read 15917 times)

doktornotor

Re: Wishlist: Two new Online service by Avast
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 06:09:57 PM »
Good it is troublesome or impossible, means the service provider is scanning mails for malware..!!! :D

Well, actually not really... Many mailservers will simply drop/strip anything password-protected since they can't scan it. Meaning, avast won't get the sample.

Offline sg09

• Current Technology Discounts
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 06:37:54 PM »
There is difference in just "password protecting" and "password protecting and encrypting." So dig in 7-zip, you will come to know.

nmb
I went through this link
http://www.medicalnerds.com/how-to-encrypt-zip-files-securely-using-7zip/
and tried to encrypt, password protect and then upload.
But uploading failed again.
Anyone who knows how to loose can certainly learn how to win.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 06:50:39 PM »
Well, actually not really... Many mailservers will simply drop/strip anything password-protected since they can't scan it. Meaning, avast won't get the sample.

Well, what I meant was it's good for the user, if he has a SP that takes care of malware.
Certainly it's not good for the samples beeing missed by avast, as they never get them.
Btw, samples can also be sent to alwil using the option in the chest...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 06:51:12 PM »
No, you need to select encrypt file names. I have sent files before to avast successfully and also to friends.

nmb

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 06:54:39 PM »
YOU ARE WRONG,gmail send protected encrypted archives with any thing in side them
Strange... Gmail never allowed me to send exe files archived into zip... I use 7zip format instead.
The best things in life are free.

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 07:04:42 PM »
i say password protected and Encrypted,last year i send over XX samples to kaspersky labs like this.
any way over 100 million users send every day a lot of samples via avast community"or behavior shield"no need to send more samples also alwil team check the malware sites every hour so i guess that is enough in addition to the samples we send
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 07:08:40 PM »
YOU ARE WRONG,gmail send protected encrypted archives with any thing in side them
Strange... Gmail never allowed me to send exe files archived into zip... I use 7zip format instead.

Yes take you are right. Using 7zip helps us to encrypt file names. Thanks to igor.

nmb

doktornotor

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 07:12:27 PM »
No, you need to select encrypt file names. I have sent files before to avast successfully and also to friends.

Yeah, that's indeed wonderful and very user friendly. See, instead of a webform available via HTTPS you'll tell users to install 7zip and then spend a couple of hours navigating them how to encrypt filenames.  ::)

Offline sg09

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 07:35:53 PM »
Done now, thanks to Tech and nmb.
But I agree with doktornotor.
So, to send files we have to use 7zip. Is there any such option for WinRar or WinZip or Power-Archiver or TugZip or PeaZip or ....
I think we need a tutorial section here about how to encrypt filename using .... utilities

I know there is option to send files through Virus Chest. But there are few persons like me who love Avast, recommend it to all but do not use it all time because of the habit of testing different AVs time to time.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 08:04:10 PM »
So, to send files we have to use 7zip.

Who doesn't use 7zip nowadays, anyways...?? ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Hermite15

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 08:13:41 PM »
1. Webform to submit malwares by non Avast users. The email service is no good because gmail blocks exe file upload even in password protected archives.

that's only possible if you use a software that doesn't allow file name encryption too; otherwise they have no mean to read the content, i.e. file types inside an archive.

edit: example on screenshot with WinRar
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:16:35 PM by Logos »

Offline sg09

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 08:20:01 PM »
@Asyn, I use winrar in my PC. To test this I have just installed 7zip. :o Winrar is better in my Opinion.
@Logos, I think almost all now supports that, but how many of us know how to do that. Please tell me how to do that using WinRAR.  ;)
Edit: I saw that you updated your post. Don't you think we should have a tutorial page for all well known archiver?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:22:13 PM by sg09 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2010, 08:23:14 PM »
@Asyn, I use winrar in my PC. To test this I have just installed 7zip. :o Winrar is better in my Opinion.

It's your opinion, but you can use both without any problems... :D
asyn

Offline sg09

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 08:25:14 PM »

It's your opinion, but you can use both without any problems... :D
asyn

Just knew from Logos that it can also be done with WinRar.  :)

YoKenny

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 08:28:55 PM »
@ sg09

Your signature Anyone who knows how to loose can certainly learn how to win. does not provide any information so that helpers can offer pertinent advice.

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.