Author Topic: Windows 7 and Avast - Numerous CRC Errors on Downloads  (Read 3489 times)

Just Married

Windows 7 and Avast - Numerous CRC Errors on Downloads
« on: May 16, 2010, 05:21:55 PM »
I have been a fan of Avast for nearly 2 years, never had a single problem, that is until I upgraded to Windows 7.

I did a complete 'fresh' install of Windows 7 Pro on my PC last week, I installed Avast (5.0.545) and everything seemed to be fine. However I discovered that large files that are downloaded are being corrupted when Avast is active. Problem first discovered when I did a backup of my website. After I downloaded all files from my website to my local hard drive I later discovered that some of the largest files had CRC errors when I attempted to uncompress them.

the problem also happens on large file downloads that are compressed in .zip and/or .rar file format.

At first I thought I had a network adapter problem. After installing a new network card the problems were still there.

I went back and "disabled all shields", downloaded all files from my web site once again and this time all the files were intact and no corrupted or files with CRC errors.

So it appears that Avast is corrupting files as they are being downloaded :(  I never had this problem when I was using windows XP, it only happens on my Windows 7 machine.

Any thoughts on this? I hate to think that I would have to uninstall Avast , but if it is going to keep corrupting my files I'll have to.

doktornotor

Re: Windows 7 and Avast - Numerous CRC Errors on Downloads
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 06:39:37 PM »
Eh... I'd suggest that you run memtest.

Just Married

Re: Windows 7 and Avast - Numerous CRC Errors on Downloads
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:22:53 PM »
I did run a full memtest. Ran Memtest86+ all night. after over 200 passes there were no errors.

I'm running windows 7 64 bit version with 6gb of ram