Author Topic: Avast 5.0.545 slowing down each computer installed on..  (Read 5377 times)

billman1037

Avast 5.0.545 slowing down each computer installed on..
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:41:20 PM »
I had Avast running on all my computers since the beginning.  Everything has been fine until up to a month ago.  I'm not sure if there is some conflict with an update or not.  I have seen a tremendous slow down on each computer it is installed on.  Even fresh installs. 

Once I disable the shields, everything is back to the speeds that they were before when I had older versions of Avast.  Any ideas what is going on?

YoKenny

Re: Avast 5.0.545 slowing down each computer installed on..
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:43:40 PM »
Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your systems just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

twhogan

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 01:34:15 AM »
Hi, I had the same problem.
I updated from Avast 4.8, uninstalled it and installed version 5, all the latest updates. Everything became very slow - especially browsing through IE and file browsing through Windows Explorer.
When I disable all the shields it runs great - Vista Bus, 3GB of RAM. I'm a tech and have installed hundreds of instances of Avast.

I turned off all the shields and turned them back on, one by one. The problem shield is definitely the 'behaviour shield'. I turn this off and it works fine.

If anyone knows any reason why, please let me know.

Hoges

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 10:15:32 AM »
Which other security related software is running..?
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

PileOfMush

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 09:16:36 PM »
At the end of April through the middle of May, I had an issue with one of the computers I set up with v5.

I did a clean XP install on a Dell Optiplex GX 745 and installed Office 2003 and Avast v5 Pro. The user complained that the computer was dreadfully slow compared to his old P4 3.0GHz machine, but this computer had a Core2Duo E6600 and 2GB RAM. Despite what should have been an upgrade, opening a folder (especially one containing MS Office files) resulted in 1-2 seconds of delay before any files even showed up in the folder. I've not experienced this on any other machine with v5, but I noticed that turning off Avast improved the response of the file system. I suspected a hardware problem. I replaced every component in the computer except the motherboard, but that didn't fix it. I installed a clean copy of Windows on a separate hard drive and it ran blazing fast until I installed Avast v5, so I put the original hard drive back in and switched Avast to v4.8. Switching back to v4.8 brought it back to normal.

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 09:35:55 PM »
@ PileOfMush

You have started off  on the wrong foot.

Maybe you should have asked for help first before blatently assuming avast! is the problem ???

It could be Office 2003 that the dinosaurs had probably and we all know what happend to them.   ;)

PileOfMush

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 10:53:20 PM »
Maybe you should have asked for help first before blatently assuming avast! is the problem ???

Despite this being my first post to the forum, I'm not coming here to just blame Avast for my problems. I'm reporting that, like others, I have problem with Avast 5 on one of my computers. I could have written a longer post detailing several weeks worth of testing, but long posts rarely get read. I used SysInternals ProcMon to see what was taking so long when traversing folders and all signs pointed to Avast. And like I said... installing 4.8 helped. So what should lead me to believe Office 2003 is the culprit? Why would the problem not be with Avast?

EDIT: I'd also like to add that I suspected Behavior Shield as well. Disabling it initially seemed to fix the problem somewhat, but not entirely... and in some tests not at all.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:53:58 PM by PileOfMush »

twhogan

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 05:02:21 AM »
I love Avast and have found that normally it impacts LESS than any other Anti-virus product out there, which is why I was so surprised when I found that it was slowing the computer down dramatically. There are no other security products installed.

If you turn the behaviour shield off it runs great. Turn it back on, it runs like a dog - file browsing and Internet browsing - any browser.

I have now tested this over 5 days. I can't be any more definitive. This problem is caused by the 'behaviour shield' on my machine.
OS = Vista Bus, all latest updates
RAM = 3GB
Pleanty of disk space
NO other security products.

If any Avast techs need more info, let me know, I'm willing to help.
Hoges

PileOfMush

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 05:19:30 PM »
I also have a disk image of the system and would be willing to run some tests or provide additional info if needed.