Author Topic: Virtual Confusion<SOLVED>  (Read 2174 times)

Gargamel360

Virtual Confusion<SOLVED>
« on: May 17, 2010, 07:35:12 AM »
I'm trying out a VirtualBox, running Ubuntu inside.  As with all things PC, I am in way over my head.  The Virtualbox has a single firewall entry,  one for all connections, all ports.  This made me wonder, is this essentially like having no firewall at all(inside Virtualbox)?  If so, should I run firewall for Ubuntu?  Or...would that cause 2firewall conflicts?  Or.....is this question senseless due to the relative security of Linux systems and virtualization?  Any enlightenment appreciated :)

Or.....should I be asking these questions on an Ubuntu or Virtualbox forum?........ahhh post it anyway :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:06:53 PM by Gargamel360 »

PapaSmurf

Re: Virtual Confusion
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:45:33 AM »
I'm trying out a VirtualBox, running Ubuntu inside.  As with all things PC, I am in way over my head.  The Virtualbox has a single firewall entry,  one for all connections, all ports.  This made me wonder, is this essentially like having no firewall at all(inside Virtualbox)?  If so, should I run firewall for Ubuntu?  Or...would that cause 2firewall conflicts?  Or.....is this question senseless due to the relative security of Linux systems and virtualization?  Any enlightenment appreciated :)

Or.....should I be asking these questions on an Ubuntu or Virtualbox forum?........ahhh post it anyway :D

I am not as familiar with Linux so I am not able to really give any kind of answer that made sense.
I think you are correct with your idea of posting this question on Ubuntu or Virtualbox.
But from what I read in your description, having all ports available is kinda like not even having a firewall.
I do not think, (again..not familiar with Linux), that you should run 2 firewalls, that just sounds like conflict to me. You should pursue this matter on those other boards.

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:59:33 AM »
The sheer irony of Gargamel taking advice from Papa Smurf....I'm at a loss for words :D ;D

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 12:56:12 PM »
don't expect miracles from a Linux firewall ;) ...there should be one though running in Ubuntu by default, don't know which one though I don't use Ubuntu. Like you said, VirtualBox will have one entry in your host (Windows), and this is normal. VirtualBox is just a program for Windows. You still need to have another firewall running in your virtual machine. They won't conflict ;D ...because they don't run on the same operating system. A virtual machine (guest OS) when running is an OS of its own, needs everything needed for an operating system, don't refer to what the host does to draw any conclusion ;)

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 08:06:28 PM »
Good to know, thanks for the info :)