Author Topic: The future of the Fx browser looks grimmer...  (Read 4570 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
The future of the Fx browser looks grimmer...
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:39:18 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

Well hard times ahead for Fx - the coming five years will be much harder than the previous five years have been.
That pessimistic view is resounded here:  http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/is-firefox-heading-for-a-huge-user-decline/8344
IE9 and GoogleChrome are steaming ahead. Will Fx's market decline sharply under the growing competition of competitive browsers.
Will we again see the timid browser development of former days or will the 400 million users hang on to the Mozilla browser?
Here is an more optimistic vision on Fx's future: http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/18/future-of-firefox/

How do the users here see the future for the Fx browser?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: The future of the Fx browser looks grimmer...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 05:40:59 PM »
Hope they continue developing. Chrome is good but the available addons are reduced and does not give me the flexibility and features that I want and/or need.
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 05:56:59 PM »
Mozilla has been just too slow to react ::) They took their user base for granted, and that's a huge mistake. How things will be will be decided when Firefox 4 comes out...but that's in a few months, and the Chrome devs are moving fast...I don't think Mozilla has anything to fear from Internet Explorer. IE is losing market share, under 60% now, may be because of the ballot screen popping up on OEM systems. The danger for FF is Chrome, and just Chrome, no need to mention again why: speed ;D  
 The extensions in Chrome are so far well behind the standard in Firefox, but that will change too. Just browse Chromium bug tracker, it's not just bugs being reported but projects about changing the API etc...

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 09:02:36 AM »
I don't think Firefox will lose out in the near future

They are planning to incorporate the Jaggermonkey javascript into Firefox 4, a mix of Gecko and Webkit

I wish they optimize it for speed, if not, Yes, Fx browser looks grimmer

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 04:04:30 PM »
I don't think that many people make plans five years in advance, especially if what they are using happens to work well for them. I was happy using an IE clone, Avant Browser and then Maxthon until Firefox came on the scene.

I watched it progress and tried one of the early builds and it was a bit too early for me, I the 1.5 version where I used it as my default browser and I haven't looked back. It is a highly configurable browser with great add-on support which allows for greater security and user functionality.

I have in the interim tried Opera and Chrome a couple of times. I couldn't live with the Opera interface (I had tried this many times before I used firefox also). Chrome, great name but needed a good deal more finishing (buffed up), the page loading speed increases (marginal in my case) couldn't make up for its lack of configuration and add-on support.

So I'm not looking 5 years down the line, but monitor what is happening now, 6 months and possibly 12 months. Crucially I generally don't go looking if what I have works for me. If that time comes when firefox doesn't meet my needs, I'm not tied to it for life.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alan Baxter

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 06:16:57 PM »
Crucially I generally don't go looking if what I have works for me. If that time comes when firefox doesn't meet my needs, I'm not tied to it for life.

+1

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 06:38:33 PM »
Avant Browser

Woohoo! avant!  I used that too... loved the built-in mouse gestures.

Maybe I'll check that out again, I think they made one that runs on firefox too... can't remember.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 07:26:19 PM »
I still have it as my secondary browser, though it doesn't get much time in the daylight ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security