Author Topic: Prefetch folder  (Read 13245 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Prefetch folder
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 05:19:39 PM »
Not tune up utilities in particular, but that type of application as I have never found much use for them and most don't seem to make a really noticeable difference in your system performance. Many of the functions are available already in the OS you just need to know where to look and it is this that makes users buy products like this they don't know where to look.
+1
The best things in life are free.

pmal67

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 08:02:29 PM »
I'm back sorry but cannot switch system restore , every time the same message telling to restart and to try again

Thanks in advance
paul

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 08:05:45 PM »
Is this message coming from Windows?
Is your computer clean? How did you scan it?

pmal67

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
Hello Tech sorry to annoy you guys with such a small problem I will run a full scan with mbam and avast and see what comes up , just a thought should I disable my wifi connecion when scanning ????

many thanks

paul

pmal67

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 08:11:59 PM »
apologies Tech ,

yes the message is coming from windows
paul

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 09:34:56 PM »
I do not use System Restore anymore. I use Comodo Time Machine.
But are you trying to enable System Restore into Windows and the message come? Do you confirm that?
Here we have photos http://www.nirmaltv.com/2009/03/14/how-to-enable-or-disable-system-restore-in-windows-7/
Is that what you're trying to do?

pmal67

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 09:47:14 PM »
yes that is what I want to do but on windows xp-pro but message pops-up telling that I can't and to reboot

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 10:04:04 PM »
Is this where you are trying to do this form, see image, I'm using XP Pro SP3 ?

I too like Tech have system restore disabled (I use hard disk imaging as my replacement for it). Now it should be a case of removing the check mark and clicking OK, yes it would need you to reboot for the changes to take effect. So have you unchecked the Turn off System Restore on all drives and rebooted and if so is it now enabled ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pmal67

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 10:07:36 PM »
hello DavidR , yes did that clicked apply but message appears tellind that I can't eneble system restore , to reboot and to try again , rebooted but no change.

thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 11:11:16 PM »
Are you using a limited user account or one with admin privileges as that is the only thing that I can think of or a recent infection disabled it.

If you have SuperAntiSpyware installed you can try its Repairs section in the Control Center/Preferences window and see if that will repair broken windows system restore service, see image.

SUPERantispyware (SAS). On-Demand only in free version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pmal67

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 11:46:21 PM »
Good evening DavidR I followed your advice but sorry it didn't work I got the same message                                                                                                                      System Restore encountered an error trying to enable /disable one or more drives .Please restart your machine and try again''.

Many thanks to all, I think that it's time to let you guys get back to tackling real problems . I learned a lot from the advice you all gave me .

Thank you all but I don't want to waste anymore of your time

Paul

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2010, 12:13:26 AM »
Try this - it will re-install system restore

Enable hidden and system files in Explorer if you haven't done so already. To do this, open Control Panel | Folder Options | View, and in Advanced Settings under Hidden Files and Folders, select "Show hidden files and folders," Below that, uncheck "Hide protected operating system files." (You will probably want to restore this option later.)

From Start | Run, type %SystemRoot%\inf and press Enter.
Find the file named sr.inf. Right click on it and select Install.
You may be prompted for your Windows installation media, or a directory on your hard drive that has the \i386 folder. If you installed Service Pack 2 (as opposed to installing a version of Windows XP with SP2 preinstalled), use the folder %SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\i386 .

Let me know how that goes - it should take no more than 10 minutes

%SystemRoot% is C:\windows

pmal67

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 08:54:12 AM »
hello essexboy , Iwill try tonight and I will let you know

paul

Thank you

pmal67

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 07:41:21 PM »
Hello essexboy ,
I followed instructions , when i clicked on installed on sr.inf a window opened
' The file 'sr.sys' on Windows xp professional service pack 3 cd is needed'.
Below was written
copy files from
C:\WINDOWS\inf\i386

and there ends the story I couldn't go any further

sorry

paul

pmal67

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 10:47:16 AM »
hello all ,
many thanks again to all but strangely TUNE UP UTILITIES has stopped sending me messages concerning prefetch file folder so evrything seems ok .
However I still can't enable system restore but that's life

many thanks again

paul