Author Topic: I have a virus on my chest but can't delete  (Read 5429 times)

anjana

I have a virus on my chest but can't delete
« on: May 20, 2010, 09:10:40 AM »
Hello:
There is a virus on my chest that I want to delete, but when I change the option to delete the "apply"  icon won't work, it will stay on:move to chest.
How do I delete it?
is there something wrong with my logs?
thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: I have a virus on my chest but can't delete
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 03:24:59 PM »
What avast version are you using 4.8 or 5.0 ?

What is the file name, malware name and the original location of the file in the chest you are trying to delete ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 04:17:14 PM »
Can you post a screenshot of the window you're trying to change "move to Chest" to "delete"?
The best things in life are free.

anjana

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 05:25:27 PM »
hello:
I have3 avast 5.0.
How do i get screenshot of the window?
the virus name is Win32:Crypt-GKR (Drp)
I had a problem with Malware that after getting it out, i could not install Avast. Thanks to Pondus and Chabbot help, and Essexboy's great advice on Malware,I reinstalled Avast.
then  I just run a full scan this virus came up, I moved it to the chest, but now knowing that is a file I don't need I'm trying to delete it, but I can't.
This is the file:
[2010/05/16 09:35:36 | 000,000,000 | ---D | C] -- C:\Users\Helena Guerrero\AppData\Local\mhfpanjmg\mjnagrptssd.exe

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 05:47:28 PM »
Well based on the randomly named folder and the randomly named file name (zero hits on the file name on google, other than this topic), so first the detection appears to be good.

There is no rush to delete anything from the chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. Anything that you send to the chest you should leave there for a few weeks. If after that time you have suffered no adverse effects from moving these to the chest, scan them again (inside the chest, avastUI, Maintenance, Virus Chest) and if they are still detected as viruses, delete them.

So when it comes time to delete, having opened the chest right click on the file you want to delete on the pop-up (see image, is this what you see ? ) select yes and it should be deleted.

So I don't see any Apply, so my guess is that you are trying to delete this from the old report/log of your scan and that won't work as it is historic, you have already taken action on that detection by moving it to the chest. So it won't exist in the original location, it is in the chest so it needs to be deleted 'from within the chest' as outlined above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

anjana

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 06:10:31 PM »
thanks DavidR
Yes you are right i was trying to delete from  the log. I used to have the  free avast edition, I just switched to this one so I'm not familiar with it, it's very different.
Thanks for clarifying   :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »
You're welcome.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 07:07:30 PM »
anjana, I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even Spyware Terminator) to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Clean your Hosts file (replacing it) with HostsMan tool.
7. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
8. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
9. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 07:48:17 PM »
@ Tech
Essexboy has been through the cleaning routing with anjana, this was just a problem deleting a file in the chest (incorrect procedure used). There shouldn't be anything to do now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 07:58:37 PM »
@ Tech
Essexboy has been through the cleaning routing with anjana, this was just a problem deleting a file in the chest (incorrect procedure used). There shouldn't be anything to do now.
Thanks. I'll shout up  :-X