Author Topic: installing Internet Security 5 on top on free Home 5 ?  (Read 3009 times)

elyisus

installing Internet Security 5 on top on free Home 5 ?
« on: May 17, 2010, 01:12:29 AM »
Instructions are not clear regarding the install of Internet Security 5 on top of Free Home edition 5.0 Apparently one has to run the Internet Security 5 then run the key file, but the instructions say that if you already have the free edition 5.0 you just run the Internet Security 5 key. My question is if that is really enough, or I still should run the Internet Security 5 exe. and if so, I am not sure if I should uninstall the free edition or just run it. Thanks for any tip on this.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: installing Internet Security 5 on top on free Home 5 ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 01:18:46 AM »
What I would do is insert the key, then follow any prompts (reboot, for example) then observe the program features to see if AIS appears to be up and running.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

doktornotor

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:20:20 AM »
Well... if you want to avoid upgrade issues, then

- Uninstall Avast Free.
- Reboot (preferably twice)
- Install AIS.
- Reboot.

ALIV

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 02:39:34 AM »
Once you insert your aIS key it'll automatically download the IS components and convert your Free version into the IS.
Worked a charm for me on a couple PCs.

elyisus

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 03:01:53 AM »
Apparently inserting the key would trigger the upgrade, but in fact not! It accepts the key, says it will upgrade, but never actually upgraded. I ask via ticket to support and they told me to uninstall then install the Internet Security 5.- I did and it works perfect now. It seems this is the way, factually. Thanks for your help!

ALIV

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 05:46:04 AM »
This may have been the only way in your particular case, but these forums would be littered with similar threads if this were the only way.
In any case I'm glad you're now up and running.