Author Topic: Comodo Time Machine  (Read 31112 times)

JSN

Re: Comodo Time Machine
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 02:40:08 AM »
I am sorry if I started up a post that drew some conflicts among yours. I appreciate all your comment. Taken links to various like Comodo Forum, Drive Image, etc.

A 500GB portable harddisk will cost me around USD95. I wanna learn others cheaper/convennion options to store some backup for my important files. By seeing some serious negative inputs in the comments/advice, I put my decision on hold but really don't know how to make judgement though.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 03:04:49 AM »
I am sorry if I started up a post that drew some conflicts among yours.
Not at all...

I wanna learn others cheaper/convennion options to store some backup for my important files.
Comodo Time Machine is NOT a backup solution. It's not intended for that. It's a reliable rollback tool (or system restore).

By seeing some serious negative inputs in the comments/advice
It has drawbacks. You must choose what you want.
I use CTM to protect only the system partition. I have other 4 to defrag and play ;D
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 01:11:26 PM »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »
Looks like the honeymoon is over.   Not a very good ending either.  :'(
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

sded

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 04:14:34 PM »
LOL.  They do get you eventually.  Comodo actually released a public beta of their Cleaner with two known serious flaws that would cause the OS to be unbootable and unrecoverable if you did certain operations.  And thought this was fine in a beta-like everyone would read and understand.  And were angry with me when I commented in the beta release thread that Cleaners often caused more problems than they solved and that this one in particular deserved a "pass".  In spite of all the destroyed systems, they have stonewalled even reverting CTM to beta status until some of the more serious problems could be a fixed or a company sponsored recovery guide developed.  At least their users will learn a lot about MBR recovery and other useful tools.  ;)

Hermite15

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 04:26:53 PM »
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 04:32:29 PM by Logos »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 08:19:19 PM »
Comodo actually released a public beta of their Cleaner with two known serious flaws that would cause the OS to be unbootable and unrecoverable if you did certain operations.
I can't believe they do such a thing with a cleaner tool... it shouldn't be that much problematic a simple cleaner tool.

even reverting CTM to beta status until some of the more serious problems could be a fixed or a company sponsored recovery guide developed.
Agree. But I will continue play with fire if I can troubleshoot it. The technology is inspiring. But the lack of support is the pain for me. I had serious troubles with avast (BSODs, crashes, not installing...) but I did not give up. I hate when here, in avast forums, I have lack of support (I can link a lot of problems opened, without Alwil help too).

At least their users will learn a lot about MBR recovery and other useful tools.  ;)
Don't put your hopes in that. Some problems aren't MBR related and there is not a panacea for CTM's troubles right now. Poor support and, worse, the list of abandoned programs is what makes me worry.
Discontinued Products:
Comodo Anti-Viruspyware (CAVS)
Comodo BOClean Anti-Malware
Comodo Diskshield
Comodo Firewall
Vault
Launch Pad
Comodo Meet (Web Conferencing Product)
Comodo Memory Firewall (Buffer Overflow Protection)
Safesurf
Trusttoolbar
Trustfax (online faxing)
Trustix Enterprise Firewall
User Anywhere (Remote Access product)
UserTrust - Website Rating
Comodo Vulnerability Analyzer
ZTL

Alwil seems to be discontinued the PDA version, the NetPurum program... and the Linux version goes very slowly, but, at least, we have focus and support.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 08:26:39 PM »
...and I warned him http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60137.msg507350#msg507350 ::)
This is not enough to me. I like technology development. I don't quit that easy and I usually have a collaborative thinking, trying to help and develop programs. That's makes me happy (most of the times ;D).

Hermite15

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 08:58:41 PM »
...and I warned him http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60137.msg507350#msg507350 ::)
This is not enough to me. I like technology development. I don't quit that easy and I usually have a collaborative thinking, trying to help and develop programs. That's makes me happy (most of the times ;D).

what bothers me is not your interest into unstable and dangerous software, that's your problem and your own choices, and I won't question that, no...what bothers me is that after you kept telling here, on Avast forums, that CTM worked fine for you (and that was probably true), even advising it to others, you didn't post again to tell here what happened in the end, just to warn people...I know I already did, but you just experienced a complete disaster with CTM and reporting it here too too would have been honest and useful don't you think? I mean I would have done it.

As to your complete loss of data (I know, you had a backup), it's just as I mentioned earlier in this thread or the other one another disaster in the history of CTM...the Comodo guys don't care, they're just after users, whatever the means are.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:07:51 PM by Logos »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 09:07:29 PM »
what bothers me is not your interest into unstable and dangerous software, that's your problem and your own choices, and I won't question that, no...what bothers me is that after you kept telling here, on Avast forums, that CTM worked fine for you (and that was probably true), even advising it to others, you didn't post again to tell here what happened in the end, just to warn people...I know I already did, but you just experienced a complete disaster with CTM and reporting it here too too would have been honest and useful don't you think?
Do you really think I'm not honest or am I reading wrong your post?

Hermite15

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 09:11:36 PM »
what bothers me is not your interest into unstable and dangerous software, that's your problem and your own choices, and I won't question that, no...what bothers me is that after you kept telling here, on Avast forums, that CTM worked fine for you (and that was probably true), even advising it to others, you didn't post again to tell here what happened in the end, just to warn people...I know I already did, but you just experienced a complete disaster with CTM and reporting it here too too would have been honest and useful don't you think?
Do you really think I'm not honest or am I reading wrong your post?

I just think that reporting what happened (the loss of data etc...) on Avast forums, after posting about CTM here, was your duty...considering that apart from hardware failure, what happened to you is the worse that can happen on a computer and could have happened to other users trusting your word on Avast forums. You had CTM in your sig, you're a long time poster, you see what I mean...for newbies and kids reading your previous posts about CTM, the answer was clear: CTM is okay.
 You should have reported your issues immediately...and for some reason you didn't, and that was two days ago.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:16:23 PM by Logos »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 09:19:04 PM »
This is avast forum. Not Comodo.
You have bad feelings toward Comodo. Post in their forum.
I recommend a software because I was using it myself. I'm not guessing, but using. I'm not biased.
Comodo is not the first program that brings me trouble and I won't post here in avast forums. Even if I recommended it.
I will try CTM again, most probably. Just waiting for some improvement in the technology.
I have no duty to post it here as I do not post a lot of things that I think in avast forum. It's just not the place.
My opinions are just that, my opinions. I do not overestimate my suggestions neither underestimate the freedom and self-choice of other users. They do what they want. I won't post a disclaimer in each post here: "without warranty, do it by your own responsibility.

Also, don't call me dishonest. I - like any other user - appreciate respect.

Hermite15

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 09:21:58 PM »
This is avast forum. Not Comodo.
You have bad feelings toward Comodo. Post in their forum.
I recommend a software because I was using it myself. I'm not guessing, but using. I'm not biased.
Comodo is not the first program that brings me trouble and I won't post here in avast forums. Even if I recommended it.
I will try CTM again, most probably. Just waiting for some improvement in the technology.
I have no duty to post it here as I do not post a lot of things that I think in avast forum. It's just not the place.
My opinions are just that, my opinions. I do not overestimate my suggestions neither underestimate the freedom and self-choice of other users. They do what they want. I won't post a disclaimer in each post here: "without warranty, do it by your own responsibility.

Also, don't call me dishonest. I - like any other user - appreciate respect.

and you wouldn't have called reporting back your system disaster a sign of respect for others...after claiming here that it was okay ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 09:24:01 PM »
and you wouldn't have called reporting back your system disaster a sign of respect for others...after claiming here that it was okay ???
No, because it is happened to me. There are other users that use it without problems. I've posted in Comodo forum: I respect other users.

Hermite15

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 09:26:35 PM »
No, because it is happened to me. There are other users that use it without problems. I've posted in Comodo forum: I respect other users.

then we're gonna have to agree to disagree Tech, because it doesn't seem that we have the same conception of what respect is...