Author Topic: Comodo Time Machine  (Read 31044 times)

Hermite15

Re: Comodo Time Machine
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2010, 11:05:22 PM »
...that D+ does 100% of the malware and that CTM is only there in case some incompetent user makes a mistake with this perfect tool...

ROFL ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2010, 11:53:05 PM »
Melih and his clan are claiming ... that CTM is only there in case some incompetent user makes a mistake with this perfect tool.
Where does Melih say exactly that about CTM?
The best things in life are free.

sded

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2010, 12:41:24 AM »
Actually, Melih usually leaves it up to his supporters to make those statements.  He just says things that denigrate other products  and lets his minions infer that these are not properties of CIS also and make arguments with affirmations of faith that often bear little resemblance to reality. If you look at the threads in that section they are just part of a marketing campaign to show that only Comodo has the answer by ignoring the progress of other anti-malware solutions.  For CTM, note that the problems it is claimed to fix do not always include D+ (since default deny and D+ are the pillars of the superiority argument) and there are some strange discussions about it providing recovery (how it does it for Trojans that have already sent out your data is not apparent-is this the real world or a computer science exercise becomes obfuscated) and discussions about proper/optimal configuration and use which mostly give rise to being able to attribute failures to configuration-how to configure without knowing what is going to happen, and in the presence of users who are confused by popups is an exercise for the reader.  But maybe he will correct some of the information posted by his supporters somewhere along the way.  Or you can just give up and take it all on faith.  Or (properly) view CTM as a tool that is useful for software installation issues under some circumstances and currently has some serious bugs in it.  And maybe recognize that the rest of the anti-malware world is evolving also, often faster and more innovative, and look for products that help solve your particular concerns, whether Comodo or not.  As I said before, too confusing for me to follow.  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2010, 01:14:04 AM »
sded, I agree that marketing is different for each company. I don't like to be blind, or biased, and, a lot of times, I see this in other forums.
I also do not like if the staff go away and let the users alone. I don't like companies that aren't serious or lack of support. I don't like companies that just ignore or bash the competition. I like companies that fight to be better and give away better products and services.
Oh, I don't like FUD either ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2010, 09:47:51 PM »
Melih and his clan are claiming ... that CTM is only there in case some incompetent user makes a mistake with this perfect tool.
Where does Melih say exactly that about CTM?
And so?

sded

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2010, 10:20:37 PM »
Tech, my comment was meant to be sarcastic, but try these from the referenced thread:
Melih quotes:
"Show me a malware that can bypass D+"
"Security is provided thru D+ everything else is mainly usability"
Quotes from his clan:
"You know that CIS by means of D+ will prevent the installation of malware.
Stop spreading blatant lies." (there was a stronger statement on 100% earlier, but it was edited out)
"CTM: This is used if the AV/BB miss the malware application and the user allows it because they believe it is safe. You can then fix the computer if you find out later that the file was malicious and it can't be removed."
Crispness and Coherence have never been Comodo virtues, so you need to translate a bit from Weasel.  ;)  And this is the impression they are trying to convey as part of their marketing campaign:  D+ and default deny are the 100% solution (why their version is better than other classical HIPS is ???), everything else is usability enhancements to overcome the weakness of the users.  And that none of the POC cases count.  And if you find something, they will just add it (never mind that it is too late for you).
What is sidestepped is the problem that real users will possibly see an occasional malware embedded in a whole lot of FPs (or benign warnings if you prefer) over a period of time, and be unprepared to cope with that with just a HIPS.  Or that the elimination of all of the popups will likely also eliminate a few of the real malware.  (Type I and type II error probabilities are not independent if you like decision theory).  The reality is that you get testimonials from people who don't get malware using CIS.  They mostly also would not have gotten malware with other products either, since those products can produce similar testimonials from their users.  And other testimonials from experimenters whose samples only contain malware, and they just count the popups.  And that this whole thread and section of their Forum is all just marketing anyway. :)

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
?reply
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2010, 12:33:15 AM »
d+ is the best hips i try,and if you know how to configure it you will see popup when run malwares"just malwares"
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2010, 01:06:53 AM »
Tech, my comment was meant to be sarcastic
Sorry, I did not take into a sarcastic way.

"Show me a malware that can bypass D+"
"Security is provided thru D+ everything else is mainly usability"
Hyping the product, just that. We won't take this words - as we won't take some "enthusiastic" posts about avast - as the final word, will we?

"CTM: This is used if the AV/BB miss the malware application and the user allows it because they believe it is safe. You can then fix the computer if you find out later that the file was malicious and it can't be removed."
Clan is clan. Fanboys, fanboys.

Everything else is usability enhancements to overcome the weakness of the users.
I'm really sorry that they think like this just because we know this is not true.

And that this whole thread and section of their Forum is all just marketing anyway. :)
I just do not take into consideration this kind of forum garbage.
But we can read the same garbage of some payed reviews of well known payed antivirus, can't we? There are tons of "mine is the best"... Symantec is very known by that. Microsoft also does that with MSE...

sded

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2010, 02:05:39 AM »
D+ is actually a very good product, and if they get rid of some the "confusionware" as promised in version 4.1 and make some selective fixes and improvements it might help everyone.  But lots of modes and configurations to choose from is not really helpful to the masses of users who are not security hobbiests.  And going back and showing that the user was just in the wrong configuration doesn't really help him for the future.  Also, pointing out in the thread that the competition admits they don't do 100% strikes me that the competition has some integrity, not that CIS is superior.  But marketing is marketing.   ::)  Leaving CTM as a release instead of a beta with all of the destroyed systems reported still strikes me as irresponsible, though.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 02:47:33 AM »
And going back and showing that the user was just in the wrong configuration doesn't really help him for the future.
Not really. Lack or confused support is very bad in my opinion.

Also, pointing out in the thread that the competition admits they don't do 100% strikes me that the competition has some integrity, not that CIS is superior.
+1

Leaving CTM as a release instead of a beta with all of the destroyed systems reported still strikes me as irresponsible, though.
I've posted the same there.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 08:18:20 AM »
Well, I gave the CTM a try...
I use other recipes for backing up my system,
but I am always on the look out for something I have not tried...

The good
The setup/update was very smooth and secure. The product set up well,
the gui was very clean if not a bit bright..(lol Comodo Red will wake you up),
there also seems to be a fair amount of help regarding this product, a good thing
considering its' powerful operations.

The not so good
Unfortunately, I would not recommend its' use by a beginner to novice user.
While the operation seems simple, (partly due to a quality GUI), it is in fact
very complex and a bit of reading should be done before attempting its' use.
I also did not like the way it uninstalled, as it seemed to have left something of itself
behind presumably to finish cleaning any files after a required reboot.

In conclusion, a high end user will find this to be a very nice tool to add to their arsenal
should they be looking for a powerful back-up solution Beginners should avoid this one until
they become more familiar their system and have done some reading on system restore.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2010, 01:28:37 PM »
I use other recipes for backing up my system
Are you backing up all your partition/disk?

The setup/update was very smooth and secure. The product set up well
Not yet. Some users reported problems on uninstalling (I have it myself).

the gui was very clean if not a bit bright..(lol Comodo Red will wake you up)
I like the red GUI. The icon on system tray should be better developed. Too much "things" in so little space.

there also seems to be a fair amount of help regarding this product, a good thing
Help? Well, there are guesses about the product and how to recover. I would like to see more effective ways to recover: a CD/DVD to perform operations (backup/restore MBR, install/uninstall, etc.).

Yeah. The technology is very interesting, exciting. I like to participate and help development of it.

I also did not like the way it uninstalled, as it seemed to have left something of itself
Files are the less important thing here... It should work restoring the MBR and system drivers... It could not fail!

should they be looking for a powerful back-up solution Beginners should avoid this one until
they become more familiar their system and have done some reading on system restore.
It's NOT a backup but a powerful system restore feature.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: ?reply
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2010, 08:54:26 PM »
d+ is the best hips i try,and if you know how to configure it you will see popup when run malwares"just malwares"

+1...!!!
But back to topic. I didn't try CTM and will not try it in the near future, as of the majority of bad comments in the comodo forum, and furthermore I never experienced any problems with the 'on board' system restore.
asyn

W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

PapaSmurf

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2010, 07:33:15 AM »
I use other recipes for backing up my system
Are you backing up all your partition/disk?
I do a combination of individual file back up, and complete sys image. I do not really believe in "restore" as much as "re-image". That is one reason why I have an external drive.

The setup/update was very smooth and secure. The product set up well
Not yet. Some users reported problems on uninstalling (I have it myself).
Was not discussing uninstall at this point. But I agree.

the gui was very clean if not a bit bright..(lol Comodo Red will wake you up)
I like the red GUI. The icon on system tray should be better developed. Too much "things" in so little space.
I was ok with it too. Just found it a bit bright.

Help? Well, there are guesses about the product and how to recover. I would like to see more effective ways to recover: a CD/DVD to perform operations (backup/restore MBR, install/uninstall, etc.).
Yeah, well, everyone would like to have a nice wizard cd/dvd to answer all the questions. If you have to go that far, you probably want to be careful how you market it. Regardless of what kind of license agreement you come up with, you will still come up with a crap load of liability complaints, and then word of mouth will kill the product.

Yeah. The technology is very interesting, exciting. I like to participate and help development of it.
I think so too. But you are NOT a beginner. ;)

Files are the less important thing here... It should work restoring the MBR and system drivers... It could not fail!
No, here is where we part ways. When I uninstall something, I expect it GONE from my system. I judge programs on their ENTIRE operation, that includes the uninstall. With this one, I was fully prepared to RE-IMAGE my system. Fortunately it worked out, but the operation was touch an go for a bit.

It's NOT a backup but a powerful system restore feature.
system restore..from..backups of..pieces of the last known good or a manual backup. To a regular user, is the same thing. Like I said, I deal with images, not restores. But I am always willing to try. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2010, 02:18:31 PM »
I do a combination of individual file back up, and complete sys image. I do not really believe in "restore" as much as "re-image". That is one reason why I have an external drive.
Me too. I have on-line backup and external drive back (files and full partition). The restore concept is very good for me that test software frequently.

Yeah, well, everyone would like to have a nice wizard cd/dvd to answer all the questions. If you have to go that far, you probably want to be careful how you market it. Regardless of what kind of license agreement you come up with, you will still come up with a crap load of liability complaints, and then word of mouth will kill the product.
Well, some parts of the computer are vital and must be protected. You can't play with it. It's a technology that rises before Windows load, so we must solve any problem before Windows loads. It's not as easy as say "boot in Safe Mode and uninstall...".

I think so too. But you are NOT a beginner. ;)
My fault is that I have only one computer for work and test software ;D
I use virtual environments but it's not the same thing. I did whatever is possible to crash CTM in a virtual environment with XP. And it is there, rock solid... But why can't we trust in Windows 7 and the real partitions? I'm sure I'll fall the temptation to install it again ;D

No, here is where we part ways. When I uninstall something, I expect it GONE from my system. I judge programs on their ENTIRE operation, that includes the uninstall. With this one, I was fully prepared to RE-IMAGE my system. Fortunately it worked out, but the operation was touch an go for a bit.
I agree. Uninstallation must be complete. Just that I was pointing out a worse problem (booting) besides files left behind.