Author Topic: Daily resetting of Avast 5  (Read 3845 times)

Vale2

Daily resetting of Avast 5
« on: May 21, 2010, 02:52:50 PM »
I few days ago I installed Avast 5. (Been a long time user of Avast Free).  When I turn on my computer yesterday and this morning, Avast notification said that Avast was not properly secure. (Sorry, I didn't write down the exact wording.) 

I opened up Avast Interface and some of the shields were turned off. For example, this morning the Behavior Shield and Web Shield were both turn off.  I turned them back on and everything is fine.  Avast auto updated shortly after that. Still all is fine.

I left the default settings when I installed as they were just fine.  So, I'm not sure what the heck is going on.  Would appreciate any and all feed back/suggestions.

Am running on my LG Windows XP, SP3, Pentium Dual Core, E5300 at 2.6o GHz, 2.6 GIB RAM.  No other anti virus, malware, firewall (other than Windows), etc are installed.  The computer is used only for MS Office programs, Outlook, Thunderbird, Gmail, and extremely specific web sites.

Linda

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Daily resetting of Avast 5
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:57:03 PM »
Maybe it was just a small glitch...!!?
Please report back if it happens again.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 03:03:11 PM »
Hello Linda,

I agree with Asyn. Looks like it was one time event. If it happens again, try a repair of avast.
start > control panel > add/remove applications > avast > choos repair
If that also doesn't solve it, download the avast uninstaller from avast's website
Download the latest version of avast
Uninstall avast, reboot, use the uninstaller, reboot, install the latest version

Vale2

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »
Yes, am hoping it was a glitch too and will definitely report back if it happens again. As a matter of fact, I'm going out during lunch and will shut down the PC and see what happens when I turn it back on a few hours later.

Have also noted the option for repair or reinstall by Eddy.

Thanks for the prompt reply!! : :)

Linda

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 03:23:40 PM »
You're welcome. Enjoy your lunch.

Vale2

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 07:19:54 PM »
Back from lunch.  Turned on the computer when the desktop appeared Avast had the yellow triangle alert when moused over said "your system is not fully protected"

I just left it, waited for a few more seconds for some things to load.  Then MS gave a pop up about 30 seconds later and it said "Your computer is at risk, etc" because of no antivirus protection.  I did nothing. When this pop notification disappeared a few seconds later the yellow triangle disappeared from the Avast icon and Avast orange ball started turning.  I opened up the Interface and everything is in the "ON" position.  Hmm....

Weird. And I'm comparing this whole scenario to my laptop which I recently installed Avast 5 and never see this occurrence.  My HP laptop is old, 5 years, with a new hard drive and processor (faster!! Yippee!) with only half a gig.  It too is unburdened with programs at start up and very little saved on it. 

I haven't done the repair steps that Eddy mentioned only because it's working.  However, if the next time I turn on the PC and Avast does not start, I will and see what comes about of it.

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 11:29:34 PM »
Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public? to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your gmail.com email address.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 01:26:12 AM »
I haven't done the repair steps that Eddy mentioned only because it's working.  However, if the next time I turn on the PC and Avast does not start, I will and see what comes about of it.

You can also try checking the 'load avast after other system sw' option in the settings.
Seems it's interfering with another program at start up.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0